Intel Comet Lake Packs Up to 10 Cores (Updated)

I hope intel cant get 10nm until mid 2020 so that Zen 2 7nm has time to stretch its legs and gain market and AMD gain investors, then intel can comeback into the game to keep competition up.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

nd AMD lied about the bulldozer core count. 

No, they didn't.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

13 hours ago, CarlBar said:

Yes you are. Q2 2017 was 2 years ago. Thats an eternity in CPU tech. It's the same time frame as the Ryzen 2000 series.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that the 7900x and the new 10 core from intel are 2 completely different beasts, first off intel will not want to shy away from ring bus on the mainstream, since they can still use it as a sort of advantage when it comes to latency, and from what I know ring bus has a tendency to heat up more. Secondly, I don't see them going away from the 1151 platform on their mainstream for this launch, which means that the die and ihs will be similar in size to the 9900k, and even though it's soldered, the 9900k still reaches pretty ridiculous power figures under stock conditions (150w at 4.7ghz all core turbo), so tack on another 30w to that and you have a nearly uncool-able chip due to heat transfer limitations. I think this will be a pretty lackluster launch compared to amd just from looking at all the data that's popped up so far anyway, at this point it's just intel playing catch-up.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

6 hours ago, TheDankKoosh said:

You seem to be ignoring the fact that the 7900x and the new 10 core from intel are 2 completely different beasts, first off intel will not want to shy away from ring bus on the mainstream, since they can still use it as a sort of advantage when it comes to latency, and from what I know ring bus has a tendency to heat up more. Secondly, I don't see them going away from the 1151 platform on their mainstream for this launch, which means that the die and ihs will be similar in size to the 9900k, and even though it's soldered, the 9900k still reaches pretty ridiculous power figures under stock conditions (150w at 4.7ghz all core turbo), so tack on another 30w to that and you have a nearly uncool-able chip due to heat transfer limitations. I think this will be a pretty lackluster launch compared to amd just from looking at all the data that's popped up so far anyway, at this point it's just intel playing catch-up.

I wasn't arguing any of that. he discussion was about how revolutionary a high clocked 10 core chip is/is not technology wise. And somthing thats been around for 2 full years isn't revolutionary. Evolutionary, sure, revolutionary nope.

On 3/17/2019 at 12:23 AM, Antistatic12 said:

Very true what you are saying. Intel has squeezed literally everything they can. So it as you say is "impressive".

Well people here insisted the 9900K 8c/16t was "everything they can squeeze" from their current node process, and I mean "impressive" if Intel keeps it on the mainstream 1155 socket, with 10 high clocked cores and an iGPU all on one die.

19 hours ago, Drak3 said:

No, they didn't.

The bulldozer chips didn't have an FPU for each core.

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The bulldozer chips didn't have an FPU for each core

And? They still had the # of cores they advertised.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The bulldozer chips didn't have an FPU for each core.

still. to most intents and purposes still a core. 

if that there is not a core, oh boy im looking forward to the lawsuits regarding GPUs with their Graphics cores and Cuda Cores. 

if we had a standard definition of CPU core id probably agree, but we dont. and up untill the bulldozer lawsuit was reignited it was considered a core. 

Does Intel really need to make a whole 'new generation' call it comet lake 10th gen just for the marketing of it?

14nm++ all over again what for? Ring Bus is on it's limit with the 9900K already and they want to shove another 2 cores in there? keeping it 16PCI-e lanes and dual channel too and likely needing a Z490 motherboard because 'power delivery'...

10nm is never going to happen...

Intel might be a worse pick than AMD on the 'premium' segment after Zen2...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

24 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

still. to most intents and purposes still a core. 

if that there is not a core, oh boy im looking forward to the lawsuits regarding GPUs with their Graphics cores and Cuda Cores. 

if we had a standard definition of CPU core id probably agree, but we dont. and up untill the bulldozer lawsuit was reignited it was considered a core. 

The physical "cores" are there, though parts like the FPU and L2 cache aren't on each core, FP intensive tasks especially caused slowdowns and bottlenecks.

I think there should be a standard definition of CPU cores, a CPU should have its own resources per physical core, its misleading to the consumer to market a CPU as a 8 core when in most tasks it only performed as a 4 core/8thread unless the software was optimized for it.

30 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

And? They still had the # of cores they advertised.

It was advertised and marketed as having the performance of an 8 core, it is misleading to call it an 8 core when it really performed about as well as a 4 core/8 thread cpu.

LMAO intel is dying and im enjoying every single second of it, even though i have the intel i5 8600k, this will *hopefully* be my last intel cpu ever. Ryzen 3000 5GHZ FUCKIN COME AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED IT

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I think there should be a standard definition of CPU cores, a CPU should have its own resources per physical core, its misleading to the consumer to market a CPU as a 8 core when in most tasks it only performed as a 4 core/8thread unless the software was optimized for it.

i mean calling it a 4 core if its an 8 core isnt much better.......

also where do we draw the line of its own resorces? L3 cache or L2 cache or L1 cache. because if its L3 cache the Zen 8 cores turn into dual-cores.

33 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Does Intel really need to make a whole 'new generation' call it comet lake 10th gen just for the marketing of it?

14nm++ all over again what for? Ring Bus is on it's limit with the 9900K already and they want to shove another 2 cores in there? keeping it 16PCI-e lanes and dual channel too and likely needing a Z490 motherboard because 'power delivery'...

10nm is never going to happen...

Intel might be a worse pick than AMD on the 'premium' segment after Zen2...

I agree, I'd  much rather Intel just sell the 10 core as 9th gen and make it compatible with existing Z390 boards. I mean most decent Z390 boards should have plenty of VRM's for 2 more cores.

The Intel chips might be a worse pick than zen 2 but it probably wouldn't be much different than 9900k vs. 2700x, 9900k being better for gaming while 2700x is better for tasks that can take advantage of 8 cores.

21 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I mean AMD really should have, bulldozer was their own fault and it seems like someone has to bring up AMD making a crappy CPU or GPU being Intel or Nvidia's fault which is pretty biased.

Except the low IPC cores with shared resources was completely their fault, and AMD lied about the bulldozer core count.  Maybe people can get over it and enjoy that there is strong competition from both sides.

No they haven't lied about anything. If CPU has 6 cores, it has 6 cores. There is no "half cores". Just because compute units are shared between cores, that doesn't make them lesser cores. That's like saying all CUDA cores before Turing were not real CUDA cores because they were unable to do FP and INT operations at the same time. Before, they could only do either FP or INT, but never both at the same time. The Bulldozer logic was about the same. Core is core, how things work behind the scenes is just how they designed architecture for it. And iirc at the time, AMD speculated they'd benefit from that, but situation turned a bit in the meanwhile (similar how NVIDIA scrwed up with FP32 during GeForce FX instead of going with FP24 everyone was using).

Besides, Bulldozer wasn't so bad as people said it was just because everyone was parroting that shit (FX 8350 was super popular and actually pretty decent CPU for budget gamers).

6 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well people here insisted the 9900K 8c/16t was "everything they can squeeze" from their current node process, and I mean "impressive" if Intel keeps it on the mainstream 1155 socket, with 10 high clocked cores and an iGPU all on one die.

It pretty muc is. Unless Intel has found some way to lower power consumption they'e going to struggle to get better single or low thread count performance out of this chip. Obviously running more cores at lower clocks is going to produce better full multi-core performance on the same TDP, thats just an inherent fact of CPU design. It's just that until fairly recently a lot of stuff was still predominantly low thread count so it never made sense, even now it's of debatable value in some situations. But physical space allowing they allways had the option to raise core counts further. It will only be impressive if they're either managed to noticeably raise single thread performance or cut thermals compared to the 9900k.

6 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Stop giving Intel ideas

On 3/18/2019 at 4:06 AM, GDRRiley said:

It hurt them and lead to bulldozer and then eventually to zen. We can't know what would have happened if we never had bulldozer. 

There isn't anything to get over, Intel just did illegal things and should have been punished more but because courts are so slow intel made lots of money with little punishment. 

It did not lead them to bulldozer,  their design was not influenced by Intel at all.    What Intel did to AMD over 20 years ago has no bearing on today's market nor their position.  Yes Intel did the dirty and it had a cost, but people tend to forget that AMD made a lot of silly mistakes at the same time.

On 3/18/2019 at 4:06 AM, CarlBar said:

Yes you are. Q2 2017 was 2 years ago. Thats an eternity in CPU tech. It's the same time frame as the Ryzen 2000 series.

Not in the context of this discussion. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

18 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

i mean calling it a 4 core if its an 8 core isnt much better.......

also where do we draw the line of its own resorces? L3 cache or L2 cache or L1 cache. because if its L3 cache the Zen 8 cores turn into dual-cores.

It is 8 cores, just 8 cores that perform very poorly.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Sorry if this has been answered, I googled but didn't find a clear answer. Is this 10c/20t part to use existing Z390 hardware? Or is this another new chip/new board kinda thing?

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

13 minutes ago, Exotath said:

Sorry if this has been answered, I googled but didn't find a clear answer. Is this 10c/20t part to use existing Z390 hardware? Or is this another new chip/new board kinda thing?

It's intel, probably will be a new board involved.

CPU: Ryzen 2700x Cooler: NZXT x52 Kraken Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair Vii RAM: Team Darkgroup 3600 16GB DDR4 GPU: Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256 GB, 500gb 870 Evo, 250gb 970 Evo m.2 HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracude Case: Meshify C PSU: Corsair AX860i OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: MSI GS70 2QE

On 3/16/2019 at 5:20 PM, mr moose said:

Intel have, but those 20+ cores were locked to lower frequencies and used in servers were single core performance is not as important as multitasking database requests.   For the vast majority of domestic consumers 4-6 higher clocked cores is ample.  Intel's road map (and product release) follows consumer demand a lot more closely than a bunch of forum enthusiasts believe.   This is why they are still selling and why they are not in a hurry to release but loads of cores at the expense of single core performance.

This.  Should Intel follow user needs and their analysis, which is a bit more detailed than the arm-chair shit going on in this thread by all the industry insiders posting here... or keep up with AMD's core count solely to be able to say they gotz moar corez too!!

There's a reason Intel is doing what they're doing, it may not be what you would do but they have a roadmap and until you;re in the conference room at that staff meeting, grain of salt all of this.

For Intel and AMD and basically any company out there.  

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

On 3/17/2019 at 2:15 AM, The Benjamins said:

There is a demand.

Intel should still be able to hit 5Ghz or near it on 1-2c on a 10c which would not hurt there single core performance, so IDK what the issue is here.

From where I see things zen2 will have more core, lower heat, same single core performance,  better boost tech, less vulnerabilities. The only thing I see intel doing better at is AVX, and memory speed. 

How do you figure? All of the information we have currently would say otherwise. AMD has claimed better single core performance and seeing how they demonstrated their new 8 core beating the 9900k in cinebench I would have to say its looming like that is indeed the case. They didn't gimp the 9900k either. It had the same cinebench score as third party reviews of the 9900k. 

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

How do you figure? All of the information we have currently would say otherwise. AMD has claimed better single core performance and seeing how they demonstrated their new 8 core beating the 9900k in cinebench I would have to say its looming like that is indeed the case. They didn't gimp the 9900k either. It had the same cinebench score as third party reviews of the 9900k. 

I did say that I think Zen 2 will have better single threaded and multi threaded performance, but that Intel will still have a advantage in AVX and memory speeds. and i don't see that worth any higher price over performance over AMD.

also a cheap 16c24t CPU also means cheap 4c, 6c, 8c parts also in the product stack. we could see a 4c8t CPU that beats a 7700k for less then $150

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Can we stop with the IPC nonsense already? IPC has been basically the same as Intel's since Ryzen launch. Give or take a %. Intel has higher single thread performance because of higher clocks, not because of IPC. IPC is measured at same clocks, not at different ones. And when you run intel or AMD at 4GHz fixed, they both perform about the same.

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Can we stop with the IPC nonsense already? IPC has been basically the same as Intel's since Ryzen launch. Give or take a %. Intel has higher single thread performance because of higher clocks, not because of IPC. IPC is measured at same clocks, not at different ones. And when you run intel or AMD at 4GHz fixed, they both perform about the same.

you should link this with that statement

https://www.techspot.com/article/1616-4ghz-ryzen-2nd-gen-vs-core-8th-gen/