Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blinci

Puzzled deciding on a 144hz 1440p Monitor with my requirements

12 hours ago, Blinci said:

 

First off I must commend you for actually doing some of your homework, taking the initiative to identify the feasibility of options that others throw at you. And sticking to your clearly defined budget without allowing yourself to get taken off course.

 

You have presented to us a few good options. However the right one to get will have to be based on your interpretation of needs vs wants, and what it is you want in the monitor that matters more than others.

 

A few things to note - While VA panels can have a color gamut that exceed that of typical IPS (such is the case for the Samsung LCC27HG70), they still have the problem of color shifting when viewing off center. Also most color sensitive work is done in sRGB and not DCI-P3 or NTSC. Although they are far superior in terms of contrast and displaying black closer to actual true black, with nowhere close to the glow and light bleeding that plague IPS panels. Also the MG279Q has a Freesync range of 35-90Hz, which means you will be depending on your draw of the luck with overclocking in order to have it work with G-sync at 144Hz.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I've researched 1440p monitor's for months now. For long have I've been bound to this old 1080p relic of an old business monitor with my battle station. I've figured out a few potential one's but many factors come into play, especially price changes as a Canadian. I'm definitely buying one in the next 2 weeks (Spring Break) so suggestions are appreciated. 

 

 

I'll try to explain it the best I can:

 

Resolution: Definitely 1440p, 4k too much 1080p too little.

 

Refresh: 144hz perferably. Minimum 120hz and 240hz is excessive for my budget, maybe 160-165 depending but that's just a bonus.

 

Response Time: Lower is obviously better, I don't usually get that low (at least I won't until I upgrade the rest of my battlestation). Worst case scenario I could work with 5ms or 4ms but if possible 2ms or 1ms would be great.

 

Panel type: I'm thinking VA as if I am to possibly edit some videos, do some part-time art possibly drawing comics I should avoid a TN. IPS are usually way too expensive but there are a few IPS monitors in my budget. Not sure about dead pixels, ips bleed & glow etc.

 

Screen size: 27" or 32". Found quite a few 32" ones that seem intriguing but I always have people tell me that 32" is too much for 1440p as it's too big + 1440p 32" is basically 1080p. So perferably 27" but I should be able to work with 32". Not sure which but it will be my main monitor and could be using it for some productivity so maybe I should go with the 32". Suggestions?

 

Freesync/G-Sync:  This kinda complicated. I currently only have an RX580 (I don't play that many intensives so it's fine for now) but I'm almost certain about upgrading to a 2070 in the summer. And with Freesync usually being cheaper and there being this "G-Sync compatibility" I definitely need at least a monitor that works with the "G-Sync Compatibility" or just flat out G-sync. I don't mind being stuck with G-Sync until the Summer if it helps.

 

 

Used For:  It's mostly a gamer, not esports or anything but a pretty casual gamer and possibly streamer, stuff like Halo MCC (when it comes out), AC Oddesy, PUBG, CSGO. I'm also considering making artwork and editing videos, not it's the main focus but it shouldn't be absolute dogcrap but it also doesn't have to be too much. Like I said before some VA panels could do. It will stand on a desk directly in front of me. 

 

Budget: I've configured my budget to be around $600-800 Canadian (CAD) at most, preferably including the 12% tax from my province. It's a lot more then I initially planned but I'm making sure that this monitor lasts me hopefully. I could possibly up it by an extra $50 if it's that much more worth it.

 

 


Monitor's I have in Mind: 

Samsung - LC27JG50QQNZA 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor
https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-LC27HG70QQNXZA-27-Inch-Curved-Monitor/dp/B06XSQ5QN8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_147_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5AKCBX7KEWT5B9QH951K
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/qnqhP6/samsung-lc27jg50qqnza-270-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-lc27jg50qqnza
Seems to be a really good VA panel w/ freesync 2, says to watch for 1+ dead pixels though 

 

MSI - Optix MAG27CQ 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/p4WfrH/msi-optix-mag27cq-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-optix-mag27cq
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=1440p+144hz+monitor+ips&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Really good if I want to cheap out, should be more than fine to save money and have a VA panel just like the one above watch for dead pixels. It's a older monitor I think too

 

LG 32GK650F-B 32" QHD Gaming Monitor with 144Hz Refresh Rate and Radeon FreeSync Technology

https://www.amazon.ca/LG-32GK650F-B-Monitor-FreeSync-Technology/dp/B07FLGR2PN/ref=asc_df_B07FLGR2PN/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292991900780&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8588080272428495716&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001581&hvtargid=pla-559550265089&psc=1

Seems to be very simular I think to the Samsung but 32"

 

Asus 27" 144Hz WQHD FreeSync Gaming Monitor [MG279Q] IPS, 4ms

https://www.amazon.ca/Asus-FreeSync-MG279Q-Response-DisplayPort/dp/B00ZOO348C/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3J5MRUUMMDS58&keywords=144hz%2Bmonitor%2B27%2Binch%2B1440p&qid=1552691127&s=gateway&sprefix=144hz%2Bmonitor%2B27%2Binch%2B144%2Caps%2C223&sr=8-3&th=1

Likely the most expensive one I would consiter. G-sync Asus IPS 4ms. No freesync options but I heard good things of asus monitors

https://www.amazon.ca/Asus-FreeSync-MG279Q-Response-DisplayPort/dp/B014X4U076/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3J5MRUUMMDS58&keywords=144hz%2Bmonitor%2B27%2Binch%2B1440p&qid=1552691127&s=gateway&sprefix=144hz%2Bmonitor%2B27%2Binch%2B144%2Caps%2C223&sr=8-3&th=1

Not really sure how this one's different from the one above aside from Adaptive Sync and 1ms I haven't looked into it yet

 

 

There are a few others out there, older, newer, cheaper or more expensive but there's a few I had in mind above.

 

 

 

Suggestions are appreciated. Feel free to suggest one above or a different one you know and why.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

https://www.microcenter.com/product/478859/xf270hu-27-wqhd-144hz-dvi-hdmi-dp-freesync-gaming-led-monitor

 

I just got this monitor about a month ago and it has been fantastic. Not a terrible price although admittedly I don't know how much this is in CAD.

 

I should also say that it has worked flawlessly with G-Sync so far.

Edited by tlongx18
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, tlongx18 said:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/478859/xf270hu-27-wqhd-144hz-dvi-hdmi-dp-freesync-gaming-led-monitor

 

I just got this monitor about a month ago and it has been fantastic. Not a terrible price although admittedly I don't know how much this is in CAD.

 

I should also say that it has worked flawlessly with G-Sync so far.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000P-00083

Yeah I envy microcenter. Only one I can find in Canada is out of stock :/

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Blinci said:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000P-00083

Yeah I envy microcenter. Only one I can find in Canada is out of stock :/

https://smile.amazon.com/Acer-XF270HU-ABMIIDPRZX-FreeSync-Monitor/dp/B01NAXRX5E/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?keywords=acer+xf270hu+wqhd+144hz+ips&qid=1552702205&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr2

 

I found this one on Amazon. Also Micro Center was the best and worst thing to find. It is such a good store with employees who are passionate and actually want to help. It hurts my wallet though.. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, tlongx18 said:

https://smile.amazon.com/Acer-XF270HU-ABMIIDPRZX-FreeSync-Monitor/dp/B01NAXRX5E/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?keywords=acer+xf270hu+wqhd+144hz+ips&qid=1552702205&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr2

 

I found this one on Amazon. Also Micro Center was the best and worst thing to find. It is such a good store with employees who are passionate and actually want to help. It hurts my wallet though.. lol

https://www.amazon.ca/Acer-XF270HU-ABMIIDPRZX-FreeSync-Monitor/dp/B01NAXRX5E/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?keywords=acer xf270hu wqhd 144hz ips&qid=1552702205&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr2&tag=linus21-20&pldnSite=1 the only seller on amazon.ca sadly has it way too overpriced for it's value I think. Thanks anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer
12 hours ago, Blinci said:

 

First off I must commend you for actually doing some of your homework, taking the initiative to identify the feasibility of options that others throw at you. And sticking to your clearly defined budget without allowing yourself to get taken off course.

 

You have presented to us a few good options. However the right one to get will have to be based on your interpretation of needs vs wants, and what it is you want in the monitor that matters more than others.

 

A few things to note - While VA panels can have a color gamut that exceed that of typical IPS (such is the case for the Samsung LCC27HG70), they still have the problem of color shifting when viewing off center. Also most color sensitive work is done in sRGB and not DCI-P3 or NTSC. Although they are far superior in terms of contrast and displaying black closer to actual true black, with nowhere close to the glow and light bleeding that plague IPS panels. Also the MG279Q has a Freesync range of 35-90Hz, which means you will be depending on your draw of the luck with overclocking in order to have it work with G-sync at 144Hz.


Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

 

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 hours ago, huilun02 said:

First off I must commend you for actually doing some of your homework, taking the initiative to identify the feasibility of options that others throw at you. And sticking to your clearly defined budget without allowing yourself to get taken off course.

 

You have presented to us a few good options. However the right one to get will have to be based on your interpretation of needs vs wants, and what it is you want in the monitor that matters more than others.

 

A few things to note - While VA panels can have a color gamut that exceed that of typical IPS (such is the case for the Samsung LCC27HG70), they still have the problem of color shifting when viewing off center. Also most color sensitive work is done in sRGB and not DCI-P3 or NTSC. Although they are far superior in terms of contrast and displaying black closer to actual true black, with nowhere close to the glow and light bleeding that plague IPS panels. Also the MG279Q has a Freesync range of 35-90Hz, which means you will be depending on your draw of the luck with overclocking in order to have it work with G-sync at 144Hz.

Thank you it took a long time. I figured there would be some catches with particular va monitors. For the mg279q I am concerned about the “draw of luck” factor as I’ll likely not be able to test it with a Nvidia card until the return time is over so I’ll likely cross that monitor off the list. I’ll have to research more about colour shifting and pay attention to sRGB in specific and that should hopefully narrow down the choices. This has been very insightful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×