750W PSU enough??

roundhouseboy11
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

Ultra's aren't too good of quality.

Some were.

Most weren't.  This is one of those.

And I say "were", past tense because even the ones that were good were only good by the standards of the time.  Ultra went out with a "poof" during that whole scandal involving Carl Fiorentino:  https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/04/fiorentino_brothers_jailed_systemax_fraud_27m/

Hey guys. I am looking in upgrading my current rig which consists of:

Asus Prime Z270-A motherboard

i7 7700k cpu

Corsair H100i 240mm water cooling

16gb ddr4 2133mhz ram

Msi Duke Rtx 2080 ti

256gb SSD

2tb HDD

80 Plus Bronze 750W psu

I am looking in replacing my motherboard with a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro. With the new motherboard ill be adding an i7 9700k with new 16gb G-Skill Trident 3000mhz DDR4 ram. I am hoping that it will be an easy swap and I can keep my old hardware but I am not sure if my 750Watt power supply will be sufficient. Will I need to upgrade my PSU as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

yep its fine

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

9 minutes ago, roundhouseboy11 said:

80 Plus Bronze 750W psu

80 PLUS Bronze is not a brand.  And wattage isn't everything.

It would really help if you provided information pertaining to your power supply if you're going to ask people questions about you power supply.

If it's an older double forward topology w/o DC to DC for the non-primary rails, you're likely going to have problems with the Z390.  Would also have problems with your 2080 Ti.

You're not having problems with the 2080 Ti now?  

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

80 PLUS Bronze is not a brand.

If it's an older double forward topology w/o DC to DC for the non-primary rails, you're likely going to have problems.

Here is the link to my psu. Do you think this psu will cause my problems?? http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7451089

11 minutes ago, roundhouseboy11 said:

Hey guys. I am looking in upgrading my current rig which consists of:

Asus Prime Z270-A motherboard

i7 7700k cpu

Corsair H100i 240mm water cooling

16gb ddr4 2133mhz ram

Msi Duke Rtx 2080 ti

256gb SSD

2tb HDD

80 Plus Bronze 750W psu

I am looking in replacing my motherboard with a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro. With the new motherboard ill be adding an i7 9700k with new 16gb G-Skill Trident 3000mhz DDR4 ram. I am hoping that it will be an easy swap and I can keep my old hardware but I am not sure if my 750Watt power supply will be sufficient. Will I need to upgrade my PSU as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Almost any build with only one graphics card can be sustained with 750W, and your i7 + 2080ti combo shouldn't be any different.

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

80 PLUS Bronze is not a brand.

If it's an older double forward topology w/o DC to DC for the non-primary rails, you're likely going to have problems.

I second Jonny here, brand name and model would be more telling and if it's an older model, I'd personally recommend getting a newer model with a higher than bronze rating.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

7 minutes ago, roundhouseboy11 said:

Here is the link to my psu. Do you think this psu will cause my problems?? http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7451089

Doesnt look like any reviewers touched that with a 10 foot pole. Get a new, reliable unit from a reputable manufacturer

Take something from this list between tier S-B

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, roundhouseboy11 said:

For those who don't want to click on the link:  The PSU is an Ultra HS750.  

It's 750W "peak".  Says so right on the box.  It's exactly what I thought.  Double forward, no DC to DC.... and it's OLD.

You have money to buy a 2080 Ti and a Z390 board, you should have money to buy a PSU that won't kill it all in the first place.

3 minutes ago, roundhouseboy11 said:

Ultra's aren't too good of quality, considering you're upgrading to an i7-9700k and a nice mobo, with the 2080ti you already have and whatever else you're putting in it, it sounds like its going to be a pretty decent rig, I'd definitely get a better 80+ gold or better PSU. From a reputable brand. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

Ultra's aren't too good of quality.

Some were.

Most weren't.  This is one of those.

And I say "were", past tense because even the ones that were good were only good by the standards of the time.  Ultra went out with a "poof" during that whole scandal involving Carl Fiorentino:  https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/04/fiorentino_brothers_jailed_systemax_fraud_27m/

I have an EVGA 850 GQ 80+ Gold, it's a very decent PSU and I got it on sale for $79.99 at my local Best Buy.

brand and efficiency are very important , for example your build will consume about 480 w at 100% load which it too high but we will take that as an example , youwill be fine using a 80+ gold 500w power suply , but if you couldn't afford 80+ gold , use 80+ bronze but make sure you buy a trusted and well reputed brand and you will be fine ;D 

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

For those who don't want to click on the link:  The PSU is an Ultra HS750.  

It's 750W "peak".  Says so right on the box.  It's exactly what I thought.  Double forward, no DC to DC.... and it's OLD.

You have money to buy a 2080 Ti and a Z390 board, you should have money to buy a PSU that won't kill it all in the first place.

Okay I am going to upgrade to a gold rated psu. But after mentioning that theres a possibility my current psu could damage my hardware would you recommend not gaming until I grab a new psu. If there is any risk in damaging my 2080 ti I do not want to take it.

2 minutes ago, roundhouseboy11 said:

Okay I am going to upgrade to a gold rated psu.

Stop using the 80 PLUS rating as a deciding factor.  The efficiency of the PSU does not dictate the quality.

If you're on a budget because you blew your wad on a 2080 Ti and an Z390, there are some good Bronze and Silver units with LLC resonant topologies and DC to DC that are going to be cheaper than many Gold units.  Bottom line.  There's some good Bronze units and there's some suck Gold units.  80 PLUS is not a gauge of quality.

Read (current) PSU reviews.  And, as much as I hate to say it, use the PSU tier list here in the forums.  If you know this little about PSUs, you're a prime candidate for the tier list's usefulness.

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Stop using the 80 PLUS rating as a deciding factor.  The efficiency of the PSU does not dictate the quality.

If you're on a budget because you blew your wad on a 2080 Ti and an Z390, there are some good Bronze and Silver units with LLC resonant topologies and DC to DC that are going to be cheaper than many Gold units.  Bottom line.  There's some good Bronze units and there's some suck Gold units.  80 PLUS is not a gauge of quality.

Read (current) PSU reviews.  And, as much as I hate to say it, use the PSU tier list here in the forums.  If you know this little about PSUs, you're a prime candidate for the tier list's usefulness.

I understand efficiency doesn’t dictate quality. I am just curious if using my current power supply can cause damage to my hardware, particularly my 2080 ti. Thanks for the help!

@roundhouseboy11

It *shouldn't* cause damage, but the lack of reviews for that particular unit throws that completely into question.  We have no idea what protections that PSU has.

More likely you'll see issues like shutting down, rebooting, etc.  Of course, none of this is good for your PC as a whole long term, so at the first signs of that behavior, stop using that PSU.

EDIT:  Also, if you get a decent enough PSU, you actually don't even need 750W.  A good quality 650W would work fine with your build.

45 minutes ago, roundhouseboy11 said:

I understand efficiency doesn’t dictate quality. I am just curious if using my current power supply can cause damage to my hardware, particularly my 2080 ti. Thanks for the help!

There is a chance that it could indeed fry the 2080Ti being that it is a questionable PSU at best.

If it was me I would remove the Graphics card from the PC until a new high quality PSU is bought. That is my recommendation currently as it's not worth the risk of losing a $1,300 GPU.

I would stick with 750W given what you are planning on upgrading to, Z390 and 9700K.

The 2080Ti can pull a bit over 350W by itself easy OCed and then the 9700K can pull around 200W OCed, then the rest of the system so to give some headroom 750w would be a good choice. Plus the cable options are generally better on the 750W units, and with 2 EPS (CPU connections).

I would say one of these 750W.

Corsair RMX 

Seasonic Focus Plus

EVGA G2

Or higher end Corsair HX or Seasonic Prime Ultra if you have the budget.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.