help hot system when gaming

Billy(C4)

hi im new to the forums 

my system specs are in the link below

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c02575956-16%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=4269972&ac.admitted=1390188496275.876444892.199480143

i have upgraded my gpu to the diamond hd 7750 oc

i am using realtemp 3.70 to monitor my temperatures and i noticed that my cpu was reaching 65 degrees celcius(maximum) while playing bf3 so i decided to replace the thermal paste. i thouht i applyied a little too much because when i played bf3 (after replacing the thermal paste for the first time) i was reaching about 75-78 degrees celsius and when i ran prime95(large FFT) after about 20 seconds the computer would just shut down. so after about a 2-3 weeks i found time to try replacing the thermal paste i found that i had used waaayyyy too much thermal paste. it over flouted all over the pace so i cleaned it with tissue paper and 99% rubbing alcohol in the process of cleaning the cpu i took it out of the motherboard and after cleaning everything up i noticed that i managed to get thermal paste on the gold connectors at the bottom of the cpu. i tryed cleaning it with no luck. i applyed thermal paste just a little this time but when i play bf3 or bf4 i still get 65 to 73 degrees celcius and frame rate(in bf4) is unstable 50-80 fps low settings and once in a while it huccups to 8-10 for a couple of seconds. please help do you think the thermal paste on the gold connectors could be causing problems? 

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-421f   Intel Core i7 870  DIAMOND HD7750 GPU  

MS-7613 MOTHERBOARD  6GB RAM             600-WATT PSU

hi im new to the forums 

my system specs are in the link below

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c02575956-16%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=4269972&ac.admitted=1390188496275.876444892.199480143

i have upgraded my gpu to the diamond hd 7750 oc

i am using realtemp 3.70 to monitor my temperatures and i noticed that my cpu was reaching 65 degrees celcius(maximum) while playing bf3 so i decided to replace the thermal paste. i thouht i applyied a little too much because when i played bf3 (after replacing the thermal paste for the first time) i was reaching about 75-78 degrees celsius and when i ran prime95(large FFT) after about 20 seconds the computer would just shut down. so after about a 2-3 weeks i found time to try replacing the thermal paste i found that i had used waaayyyy too much thermal paste. it over flouted all over the pace so i cleaned it with tissue paper and 99% rubbing alcohol in the process of cleaning the cpu i took it out of the motherboard and after cleaning everything up i noticed that i managed to get thermal paste on the gold connectors at the bottom of the cpu. i tryed cleaning it with no luck. i applyed thermal paste just a little this time but when i play bf3 or bf4 i still get 65 to 73 degrees celcius and frame rate(in bf4) is unstable 50-80 fps low settings and once in a while it huccups to 8-10 for a couple of seconds. please help do you think the thermal paste on the gold connectors could be causing problems? 

Thermal paste is made to be highly conductive and would cause problems if it got on anything but the heat plate. If you could, take the CPU out and make sure none of it found its way down there. If that's not the case it may have been from the overheats, when a cpu gets hot enough that the system shuts down then it could've done some  damage to the silicon. Best of luck to you, hope you don't have to replace it.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

When I was younger I tried to replace the thermal paste on my board and the tube exploded all over the CPU I did not clean enough off and it shorted the board out and it killed my motherboard. The CPU was saved but the board was done for. If your system is running fine and just has a heat problem i would check the mounting of the heatsink maybe it isn't making full contact with the IHS or maybe part of the mounting system is damaged. Check your BIOS settings and make sure your CPU voltage is fine also consider replaying the fans in your case maybe you don't have enough ventilation. If you could include a picture of the system that would help so we can see what it looks like inside also clean the dust if there is any.

Sounds like you fucked your CPU, don't know how you can clean the pins without damaging them.

CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.4 ghz GPU: MSI 7950 Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme R2  RAM: Teamgroup Elite Black 8GB 1600mhz

Case: Corsair 300r Windowed Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD boot, 1TB WD Black storage PSU: Corsair GS600 Displays: AOC 22", Acer 24" both 1920x1080 60hz

Cooling: Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500s  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM400 Sound: Sennheiser G4ME ONE headset, Audio Technica ATH M50s

Few things about this that makes it go from a sad funny to worse...

1. 65C is a good temperature under load

2. Use Isoprophl alcohol next time

3. Try cleaning the bottom better? You might have ruined the contacts on it.

65 degrees celsius is perfectly fine, especially for the build you have. The thermal paste in the pins may be causing issues, but Battlefield 4 is generally a steaming pile of sh*t as it currently stands so fps drops stemming from the games inadequacies are not out of the question.

Still learning how to play Dota 2 :)

Sounds like you fucked your CPU, don't know how you can clean the pins without damaging them.

That, or the socket :(

Few things about this that makes it go from a sad funny to worse...

1. 65C is a good temperature under load

2. Use Isoprophl alcohol next time

3. Try cleaning the bottom better? You might have ruined the contacts on it.

so whats the difference between isopropyl alcohol and rubbing alcohol

Thermal paste is made to be highly conductive and would cause problems if it got on anything but the heat plate. If you could, take the CPU out and make sure none of it found its way down there. If that's not the case it may have been from the overheats, when a cpu gets hot enough that the system shuts down then it could've done some  damage to the silicon. Best of luck to you, hope you don't have to replace it.

OK i will do that but i have to buy thermal paste first because i dont have any more is there a big difference between thermal pastes temperature wise?

OK i will do that but i have to buy thermal paste first because i dont have any more is there a big difference between thermal pastes temperature wise?

Little to no difference when you don't have a beast of a cooler or nitrogen cooling. Even a that point it is a matter of degrees, just don't buy shit compound, check the reviews.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

I've heard Arctic Silver 5 is good.

how can i tell if my cpu/motherboard are messed up once i try cleaning the thermal paste off?

i thought about upgrading my cpu cooler what you guys recommend cant do water cooling with this case

i thought about upgrading my cpu cooler what you guys recommend cant do water cooling with this case

Well a pre-built kit like the Corsair H70 isn't out of the question.

how can i tell if my cpu/motherboard are messed up once i try cleaning the thermal paste off?

Blue screens of death, visual anomalies, or major/notable performance issues, possibly heat also.

Why would you change the thermal paste when the temp is only 65C and is running on stock cooler. You fucked up your pc man. smh

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

65C is nice temp with stock cooler and such bad case. If you still want to continue with that case, tell us hows cooling in it, how many fan places and what size and where. Measure distance from top of mobo to side panel to see whats tallest air cooler it can fit.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

65C is nice temp with stock cooler and such bad case. If you still want to continue with that case, tell us hows cooling in it, how many fan places and what size and where. Measure distance from top of mobo to side panel to see whats tallest air cooler it can fit.

only one exhaust fan beside cpu (92mm i think) no other places for fans unless i drill holes  there is however lots of ventilation holes  

only one exhaust fan beside cpu (92mm i think) no other places for fans unless i drill holes  there is however lots of ventilation holes  

Thats really bad case for modern components. Turn that exhaust to be as intake or take sidepanel off completely if you don't mind some extra dust inside case or more noise.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Sounds like its time for a better air flowing case.

With fan options and ample space for cooling.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Not all thermal "paste" is conductive, arctic MX-4 I think isn't.

As for the case, sounds like its time to get modding, I don't think you've killed your pc like others are saying, sounds salvagable just take some time cleaning your board/cpu and learning how to apply thermal paste.

Edit: My dad has a case like that and has constant overheating problems but it had an intake at the front hidden in the lower drive bay

do this, but with just one fan at the bottom

gallery_16915_474_340901.jpg

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

check out the pics

so i finally got time to buy thermal paste. i cleaned my cpu and it was really easy to clean the bottom i sprayed 99% isopropyl alcohol on the cpu and wiped with toilet paper after letting it soak for about 5-10 seconds. my main problem was when i took a look at the motherboard socket there was no thermal paste on the socket but one of the pins was bent but after about 3 hours of trying i got it back to its proper position. i posted some picks including temps after about 90 minutes of running  prime95 large fft + furmark burn-in test 1280*720. btw thanks to everybody for all the help and if you have any suggestions about better airflow in my shitty case please let me know

hgujygjk