[Tech-Support] Mysterious Noise

Gondermann

So i have this mysterious noise going through all of my audio gear connected to my pc. The noise comes and goes and sounds like what i imagine tinnitus is like.

This is only in hardware connected to my pc e.g. headphones and amp+speaker and it plays even though other sounds are playing, though it is not as noticeable then.

Here is the catch though; I think it is a problem with the electricity coming into my apartment as i can hear the sound when i am in the bathroom as well, coming from my light. (No speakers turned on).

Am i crazy? 

(The pc has never had the problem of noise before i moved in to my apartment)  

Oh, and the noise i prevalent in my headphones even when only connected to the mic

2 minutes ago, Gondermann said:

So i have this mysterious noise going through all of my audio gear connected to my pc. The noise comes and goes and sounds like what i imagine tinnitus is like.

This is only in hardware connected to my pc e.g. headphones and amp+speaker and it plays even though other sounds are playing, though it is not as noticeable then.

Here is the catch though; I think it is a problem with the electricity coming into my apartment as i can hear the sound when i am in the bathroom as well, coming from my light. (No speakers turned on).

Am i crazy? 

Odd. could be a ground loop issue but the light making the noise is just weird. And my tinnitus is usually a droning sound at around 14khz and 500hz - fading in and out throughout the day.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

3 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Odd. could be a ground loop issue but the light making the noise is just weird. And my tinnitus is usually a droning sound at around 14khz and 500hz - fading in and out throughout the day.

Tinnitus is the exact same as a sinewave. I can kind of simulate it, dunno how to describe it, but it sounds exactly like a 2khz sinewave

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

1 minute ago, Derkoli said:

Well i don't have tinnitus so i can only imagine. The sound is high pitched and comes for 10-30s before vanishing and reappear again randomly. I might not be the lamp but the fan i have in my bathroom, but the sound i certainly there. I only think it is the lamp because of the high frequency noise.

9 hours ago, Gondermann said:

Am i crazy? 

Oh, and the noise i prevalent in my headphones even when only connected to the mic

have you tried using a DAC it could be electrical noise leaning into the motherboard audio solution. also are you using case audio instead of motherboard because case audio sounds awful for many reasons and that could also be the issue

16 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Tinnitus is the exact same as a sinewave. I can kind of simulate it, dunno how to describe it, but it sounds exactly like a 2khz sinewave

Yeah i've kinda learned to ignore it. Very annoying if you dont try and ignore it ;/

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

On 3/16/2019 at 6:24 AM, rice guru said:

have you tried using a DAC it could be electrical noise leaning into the motherboard audio solution. also are you using case audio instead of motherboard because case audio sounds awful for many reasons and that could also be the issue

I use the audio from the case. The noice is still there event though I plug into the motherboard directly.

I have not been able to hear a difference in sound quality from the back versus the front, as I don't use any good headphones when playing games, just a pair of hyperX ones.

I thought about getting a DAC, but if the power is the problem, will the dac not also just have the same issue?

11 minutes ago, Gondermann said:

I use the audio from the case. The noice is still there event though I plug into the motherboard directly.

I have not been able to hear a difference in sound quality from the back versus the front, as I don't use any good headphones when playing games, just a pair of hyperX ones.

I thought about getting a DAC, but if the power is the problem, will the dac not also just have the same issue?

Yeah sorry I'm not sure about that.