Bending PETG tubing fail : HELP !

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
4 minutes ago, Insorior said:

Regarding 2- I realized afterwards that my alphacool tubing is ID13mm OD16mm while the insert is only 12mm. It had some room inside the tube. May the bending come from this ? Should I own a 13mm insert instead ?

What are the other causes of tubes collapsing / pinching ? Mabe was it not hot enough ?

This is the problem, yes, you need a proper 13mm insert otherwise there isn't really anything you can do to stop the tube from collapsing a bit.

Hi Guys !

I'm building my 1st watercooling loop in approximately a week.

Today, I recieved Two parts : PETG tubing and Thermaltake PETG tubing bending kit. I'm aware that this kit is not necessairly but I really wanted to own it in order to make proper angles and budget wasn't a matter.

So. I did a few tries : cutting was fine (no big deal).

However, when it came to bending, everything didn't go that well. I had a few watches at jayz bending video tutorials so I repeated :

Inserting the insert

heating with a heat gun at medium setting until the tube starts bending by low effort

Slowly bent it using the 90° guide

fack.

As you may see on the pictures :

1 - The tube went largely over 90°

2 - The tube kinda collapsed and pinched in the inside of the bending

Regarding 1- I can't figure out what went wrong as long as I have bent it following the guide. Any thoughts ? EDIT : While taking the pictures, I just realize that it may come from the tube collapsing (see 2-)

Regarding 2- I realized afterwards that my alphacool tubing is ID13mm OD16mm while the insert is only 12mm. It had some room inside the tube. May the bending come from this ? Should I own a 13mm insert instead ?

What are the other causes of tubes collapsing / pinching ? Mabe was it not hot enough ?

53731976_303658110313020_2019823901269295104_n.jpg

53741166_1283911801764028_532866722579873792_n.jpg

54522949_264328174499803_9027932913009688576_n.jpg

Just another engineer posting useful hardware videos directly to the interconnected network (AKA the internet)

Tech enthusiast. Check my channel out here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6FU1nfeGBBnw_bvHgWCqTQ

4 minutes ago, Insorior said:

This is the problem, yes, you need a proper 13mm insert otherwise there isn't really anything you can do to stop the tube from collapsing a bit.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

As above. 

I realized afterwards that my alphacool tubing is ID13mm OD16mm while the insert is only 12mm. It had some room inside the tube. May the bending come from this ? Should I own a 13mm insert instead ?

When you're bending the tube, it's trying to fill that 1mm void at the bend - and it's succeeding. 

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

35 minutes ago, wANKER said:

As above. 

When you're bending the tube, it's trying to fill that 1mm void at the bend - and it's succeeding. 

37 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Thank you two !

I just ordered a 30cm 13mm insert at amazon which will undoubtedly help :)

It is alphacool rubber insert. I see silicone inserts as well. Any thoughts ?

Just another engineer posting useful hardware videos directly to the interconnected network (AKA the internet)

Tech enthusiast. Check my channel out here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6FU1nfeGBBnw_bvHgWCqTQ

Update : now we’re talking !

i’ll be bending those guys in 1 or 2 weeks I can’t wait doing so ! :)

thanks again 

C8381978-5476-4878-B691-3652598FC92A.jpeg