New PC Build failing. If you figure this out I will let you...

Anonomousity

Hello everyone,

I would like to start out by saying I have built quite a few machines, but this one has really been giving me a hard time. I have built AMD builds for friends before, but I decided I would do one for myself finally just for fun. However, I have had nothing but troubles with this new build. So I will list my original PC specs here, and some changes I have tried to see if I can get it to work along with the issue I have been having. Also I would like to note for each different build attempt I have used two different monitors with 2 different HDMI cables, and 2 different Display port cables each time and continue to get the same issue.  I also feel I should note I was planning to use 1700x just as a place holder until I can get my hands on Ryzen 3.  I also feel it is important to note that I used 1 stick of RAM from each set of RAM I tried to use, and tried it in all slots on each board in case I was going crazy.

Original Build

Mobo - Asus ROG Strix B350-f Gaming

CPU - Ryzen 7 1700x

Cpu cooler - Corsair H100i Pro 120mm liquid cooling

RAM - Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000 MHZ 16 GB

GPU - GTX 1080ti

PSU - EVGA Supernova 1000W G2 80 plus certified platinum fully modular.

SSD - M.2 Nvme Samsung 970

Case - Corsair Carbide 275R

Installed everything and computer posted, and booted fine. I went into the bios and saw that the RAM would default to 2133mhz and when I tried to clock it up (and not overclock it) just simply clock it to it's speed. It wouldn't let me. So I flashed the Bios hoping that would allow me to do that. Once flashing the Bios was done it booted back up on its own. However, when it came back up I had no video. Computer would power on completely with all components running but screen just read as no signal and would go to sleep. So immediately I assumed I ruined the motherboard, and I didn't save a back up of the BIOS before flashing it (I know rookie mistake). Just in case I ran through some basic tests. I put my 1080ti in my intel build which worked fine. I tried with 1 stick of RAM, no change.  So I thought to myself.... alright, screw it, and I switched some things up.

Updated Build 1

Mobo - Asus ROG Strix X470-f Gaming (New)

CPU - Ryzen 7 1700x

RAM - Gskill Trident Z RGB 3466 MHZ 16 GB (New)

GPU - GTX 1080ti

PSU - EVGA Supernova 1000W G2 80 plus certified platinum fully modular.

SSD - M.2 Nvme Samsung 970

So as you can see I swapped out the Motherboard and the RAM and I went to boot it up. No change. Still no video. So I thought to myself what could this be? I thought maybe there was an off chance that flashing the BIOS somehow broke my cpu (though I had no idea how). So I sent it in to AMD to RMA it and they sent me a new one back. I installed it and I continue to have the same issue. So at this point I try basically all brand new.

Update Build 2

Mobo - Asus ROG Strix X470-f Gaming (New)

CPU - Ryzen 7 1700x (New RMA From AMD)

RAM - Gskill Trident Z RGB 3466 MHZ 16 GB (New) Also tried Trident Z series 32GB Z170 intel though I assumed it wouldn't work since Ryzen is picky and that was made for intel.

GPU - GTX 2080 ti (Brand new out of Box)

PSU - EVGA Supernova 750 W Semi Modular 80 plus certified Gold (pulled from another build)

SSD - M.2 Nvme Samsung 960 (Pulled from another build)

At this point I have swapped nearly everything and I am still having this exact same issue! Everything boots computer turns on, but no video! I tested ALL (compatible) parts in my intel build and can confirm they still work so the PSU (Both), RAM (Both), SSD (Both), GPU (Both) Only things I didn't try would obviously be Mobo, CPU, and then also my case and my cooler. I feel I should note that just in case my two test bench monitors were not working I would use my main gaming ones.

Test monitor - Asus VS278Q-P 27"

Test monitor 2 - Asus VS248H-P 24"

Gaming Monitor - Asus ROG Swift PG348Q 34" Curved 100hz

Gaming monitor 2 - Asus ROF Swift PG258Q 24.5" 240hz

After this the only 2 things that have not been changed are my CPU cooler, and my Case. I just really fail to see how that could be the issue? Any guidance would be appreciated. I also did tweet Linus telling him he could name my firstborn child if he can figure this out, with no response. Slightly disappointing. But, it is only fair that I make the same offer here. I can get pictures if anyone thinks that would help.

Do you have any other AM4 coolers? Just try that because you basically built a whole new machine in the end soooooooo..............

Edit: It could be random crap like if a USB outlet on the case and its your problem....

Try it without any USB or Power headers and try turning it on with a screw driver.

Edited by LukeTheCoder05

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

@LukeTheCoder05 Unfortunately no. I had other coolers that would work, but I lost the brackets for AM4. I had all intel builds before this, and I must have accidentally tossed the box I was storing the brackets for the AM4 sockets away. I had thought that too.

So to help me understand and break it down a bit,

You have all new parts (except the case and CPU fan.)

and your components are turning on but you don't get any display.

Any error codes on the MOBO or do you have a MOBO speaker you can plug into it?

You've got it. I don't see any lights that could be error codes, and unfortunately no, I don't have a mobo speaker. I guess I could buy one. What's $5 at this point...

Just to rule out the obvious...

Are you plugging the display cables in to the back of the motherboard or the graphics card?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Anonomousity said:

You've got it. I don't see any lights that could be error codes, and unfortunately no, I don't have a mobo speaker. I guess I could buy one. What's $5 at this point...

Try resetting the CMOs

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Are there any lights on the motherboard? Just because they don't look like error codes, they might be anyway. On my B350 gaming-f, when I pushed my overclocks too much, the light in the top right corner would just start up red, usually never changing (maybe a flash of white, not sure). Even after jumping the pins to reset the BIOS this didn't go away and turn green. What eventually worked for me was unplugging the computer and waiting a few minutes then jumping the BIOS pins. Then doing it once more while the system was on with no video. Usually within 30 minutes of doing this, it would work for me.

TLDR: This has happened multiple times to me, and just cycling through different scenarios and jumping the BIOS pins worked.

@Spotty I plugged it into the GPU, Sorry I should have included that. Admittedly being used to intel I did try to see if integrated graphics worked before I realized that it's not supported with this build. Whoops! 

@LukeTheCoder05 I pulled it out last night and set it aside while I ate dinner. When I finished I put it back in and no change. ( I would like to note I did reset it on the other mobo too before switching to the x470.

I am leaning towards that I got two bad mobo's but it seems extremely coincidental that they have the exact same issue.

7 minutes ago, Anonomousity said:

If you try a bunch of stuff and still can't figure it out I would go ahead and buy a speaker. Your local pc shop might have one you can use.

1 minute ago, Anonomousity said:

I pulled it out last night and set it aside while I ate dinner. When I finished I put it back in and no change.

Did you try turning it on while it was out?

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

@TheBaconGuy I haven't tried that. I will try that tonight when I am off of work and see if that fixes it. I didn't notice any lights aside from the RGB, but I can double check tonight.

2 minutes ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Did you try turning it on while it was out?

I did not. Should I?

1 minute ago, Anonomousity said:

I did not. Should I?

Yeah. You know how to by shorting the jumper?

Edit: You don't have to take it all out of the case, Just unplug all of the case stuff.

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Just now, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Yeah. You know how to by shorting the jumper?

I have never done it, but I have watched people do it in videos before.

Did you just set the DIMM clock speeds to 3466 without changing vDIMM? You won't be able to boot without at least 1.35v to your DIMMs. Also flip the switch to your PSU. Once it's been tripped it needs reset. Try other wall outlets as well.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

Your motherboards have 4 debug LEDs in the top right hand corner of the motherboard next to the memory slots. CPU, memory, graphics card, boot device.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Make sure EVERYTHING is plugged in and not loose. With switching MOBO's it could very well be an issue. Make sure your 24-pin is plugged in securely. If it still won't boot try removing the CPU power cable from the Mobo. If it boots without that it's a bad CPU.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

1 minute ago, fluxdeity said:

If it still won't boot try removing the CPU power cable from the Mobo. If it boots without that it's a bad CPU.

It won't boot without CPU [power]... It might turn on for a second (lights, fans spinning) then immediately turn off.

And they have also already replaced their CPU, so it's not that.

8 minutes ago, Anonomousity said:

I have never done it, but I have watched people do it in videos before.

You could probably just leave the power button plugged in and use that but this is a practically new build now so i would just short it with a driver. This is the weirdest thing ive seen. 

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

5 minutes ago, fluxdeity said:

Make sure EVERYTHING is plugged in and not loose. With switching MOBO's it could very well be an issue. Make sure your 24-pin is plugged in securely. If it still won't boot try removing the CPU power cable from the Mobo. If it boots without that it's a bad CPU.

I don't think it has to do with a connection to the mobo because everything powers up and is running. Just no video. All lights come on, fans spinning on gpu, case. Everything appears as though it would if you have a perfectly functioning PC just no video signal.

Just now, LukeTheCoder05 said:

You could probably just leave the power button plugged in and use that but this is a practically new build now so i would just short it with a driver. This is the weirdest thing ive seen. 

No joke, this is by far the strangest issue I have ever encountered. And I work tech support for work, and have coworkers and friends who build PC's and had them all look too. They seem to think at this point I just got unlucky with mobo's. But that seems to coincidental to me. 

Just now, Anonomousity said:

No joke, this is by far the strangest issue I have ever encountered. And I work tech support for work, and have coworkers and friends who build PC's and had them all look too. They seem to think at this point I just got unlucky with mobo's. But that seems to coincidental to me. 

@Spotty did mention that there are problem leds by the RAM of the mobo. Have you looked at thos?

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

4 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Maybe I miss that, but...

Is your video cable OK? Is your monitor input OK? You can try it by pluggin something else in it (laptop, for example)

Yeah, I've used other cables and I have plugged my other machines into the monitors.  I know they work.