Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReggieGRS

Memory compatibility: Proper Kit vs Same Spec Dimm

Posted · Original PosterOP

Let me give a bit of background on what i went through some time ago... When i was checking the web for some ram to buy, i was with a quad channel kit in mind. ideally 32gigs divided in 4 dimms. Which i did NOT find it in my country(did found 4x8 but it was only dual certified and not quad even tho it was 4 dimms). I only found proper(certified) quad kits of 64gigs. There was literally no other choice for me if i wanted to get what i initially wanted, a proper quad kit. Buying international was not an option as the outrageous import fees would crush me on something that is alone expensive by itself. So i ended up with quad kit of 64gigs which i double the capacity that i needed but it is quad and dual certified by the manufacturer.

Many told me i wasted money. The thing is, the opinions on it varies too much. One side says the different between quad channel is solely the price and the writing on the packaging. Proper kits are indeed more expensive than same spec individual dimms. But another side, the internet, i see people having ram compatibility issues when using non-kit ram even it being EXACT same spec. PC not booting. XMP reading different timings leading to a BSOD spam and so on. So, there are problems. So i wanted to be as safe as possible and got myself a proper, certified quad kit. But i never formally asked y'all tech geeks your opinions. Since i already bought the ram, i'm doing this conflict-flee as i only want information to help in future.

My knowledge is that ram compatibility is depending on the motherboard and how picky it is so a proper, certified kit is as safe as you can get, right?

So, what do you think? Exact Same Spec is enough? Like, Is that the bare minimum? 

Or best to cash out more for a proper kit certified on what module you wanna run, either dual or quad?

Know peeps that use not only different specs dimms but of different brands as well and work perfectly. i'm not hardcore enough to try that!

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

Well, for starters, what CPU/Board are you running, because the ones that actually support quad channel architecture are extremely limited.

From what i checked when looking in to it, AMD support is pretty much solely with Thread Ripper chipsets and I think Intel was the 9th Gen i9, might be wrong on that one though.

Basically, if you don't have that support, then you're pretty much limited to dual channel anyways, as the DIMM slots don't have the bus capacity to run it any better.

As for compatibility, RAM can be incredibly picky in whether it works or not.  There are plenty of cases where people have bought the exact same type of RAM sticks some year or so after the original one and still found compatibility issues because the chips used in the later runs of the hardware were different.

Basically it can be a minefield which it either works, or it doesn't.  If all works well however, it would just run at the slowest able.

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

Art Tablets: UGEE 15.6" Graphics Monitor & XP-Pen 15.6" Display Tablet

@Gareque

I'm building an x99 rig. This old platform supports quad channel. 6950X + Rampage V Edition 10.

The question is whether is worth getting a proper kit that supposedly were made to work specifically together

Or simply individual sticks of same spec are enough. I think the first is safer. But many disagree with this

And that is just a waste of money

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

4 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

@Gareque

I'm building an x99 rig. This old platform supports quad channel. 6950X + Rampage V Edition 10.

The question is whether is worth getting a proper kit that supposedly were made to work specifically together

Or simply individual sticks of same spec are enough. I think the first is safer. But many disagree with this

And that is just a waste of money

Ah, fair enough then.

I'd personally say going with the kits made to work together would be the safer option.  Personally in my old PC, I had 2 different kits of the same spec and they worked without a problem.  But there are more stories about times it fails than those it succeeds.

Going forward, if you were to buy individually, would you have the availability to return the sticks if they don't work and then re-purchase as a quad-kit if necessary?  If not, I'd say the risk isn't worth it myself.

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

Art Tablets: UGEE 15.6" Graphics Monitor & XP-Pen 15.6" Display Tablet

12 minutes ago, Gareque said:

Going forward, if you were to buy individually, would you have the availability to return the sticks if they don't work and then re-purchase as a quad-kit if necessary?  If not, I'd say the risk isn't worth it myself.

I personally will always go for a proper kit. There was only a problem this time due to availability. Actual quad kits are SUPER rare here due to its price. Budget parts sell far more than high-end stuff. So there's little incentive for resellers to replenish their stocks. Dual you find it everywhere in all shapes and sizes. But quad? Good fucking luck!

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王