Build Upgrade - no clue on CPU/GPU/MB

miniqpa

Hello guys - I hope you will help me. 

Myself - I never built a complete new system and I am also not a triple A Gamer or overclocker. No offence to all the people but I don't have much interest in this. It should just work. 

All of my three main PC's over the years were pre-built on websites were you can choose the parts and then these pc's got some upgrades over the year (RAM, Graphics Card etc) lasting around 4-5 years for me. 

Currently I am on this setup which is from 2016. 

Case: be quit! Silent Base 600
CPU:  Intel Core i5-6600 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool Lucifer
MB: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Graphics: GeForce 1060
RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 (2x8GB)
SSD: 250GB
Power: 600W be quiet! Straight Power E10 CM

Monitor: 2x basic 1080p Samsung nothing special....

What am I doing? 

As you can guess not much which this built. I am not an FPS fanatic. I mainly play WoW, Rocket League and since a few weeks Apex e.g. 
For me personally... over the years... even only 20-30 FPS is playable in this game for a World Rank < 100. 

This and money of course are the reason I don't have an high end build and also don't think I need it for this game and my use in general.  

Nevertheless almost 4 Years and I want to upgrade this but don't want to sell(recycle) the whole pc and buy a complete new one. I want to upgrade this and therefore need help and I have some questions. 

Budget: 
Mostly don't care if it does not overshoot my needs. It does not have to be very budget. I only want to exchange Graphics and CPU and if needed Motherboard. 
I think all of the rest I can still use for my purpose. If I look at HW Monitor CPU definetly is my bottle neck running all most all the time at 100% in Apex or even WoW + Streaming (no frame drops + 8k Bitrate results in ~20-30 fps ingame).  

It is also not a time pressure so if there is a good solution coming in the next month I can wait. 

Btw. Team Green and Blue.

For graphics, I really don't know which one currently is the best fps per $ solution. 
I am guessing coming from a 1060 6GB a GTX 1160(Ti), 1070(Ti), or 2060 could be a solution here. 

For CPU I am completely clueless considering there are plently old gen solution which are way better then mine.

So folks I hope I can get some helpful suggestions. 

Thanks in advance and 

kind regards

If you wanna get better loading times, upgrade you drive to a faster one (M2 3D nand if supported by your MB). Optane requires 8th gen Intel so it's not an option in your case.

2400 RAM is the best you will get with this CPU as long as it supports 2133MHZ max

However, a 1060 is now not the best card to play modern game. I would go with a used 1080ti (new if you can affort it) or a 2060 if you're interested in ray tracing.

Regarding the CPU, a 6th gen should be fine for gaming. However, if your activity monitor shows that it's the bottleneck while gaming, I would check what are the most recent options compatible with my motherboard and go for the one I can afford.

Roughly, pricing for each of my suggestions would be :

$90 for a 256GB M.2 drive

$500 for a used 1080 ti (checked eBay but it may be more affordable elsewhere)

$250-450 for a used-new 6th gen i7

Just another engineer posting useful hardware videos directly to the interconnected network (AKA the internet)

Tech enthusiast. Check my channel out here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6FU1nfeGBBnw_bvHgWCqTQ

You could upgrade the cpu to an i7-7700K (~50% improvement at stock) and the gpu to a GTX 1660 Ti (~26% improvement). Your existing cooler is good enough to overclock the cpu should you wish additional performance. The motherboard BIOS will have to be brought up to date using the i6-6600 before the i7-7700K can be used.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($349.99 @ Newegg) 
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste  ($9.93 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card  ($274.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Other: Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface  ($6.45 @ Newegg Business) 
Total: $641.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-15 14:08 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 3/15/2019 at 7:16 PM, brob said:

You could upgrade the cpu to an i7-7700K (~50% improvement at stock) and the gpu to a GTX 1660 Ti (~26% improvement). Your existing cooler is good enough to overclock the cpu should you wish additional performance. The motherboard BIOS will have to be brought up to date using the i6-6600 before the i7-7700K can be used.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($349.99 @ Newegg) 
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste  ($9.93 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card  ($274.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Other: Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface  ($6.45 @ Newegg Business) 
Total: $641.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-15 14:08 EDT-0400

Hi thanks for your answer. 

I will look into your suggested components. Would you also suggest an upgrade of the Mainboard itself? (Never did a BIOS update). 

An i7-7700k is ~440€ and e.g. is I look at an current i5-9600K it is 279€. Is that not an better price per performance? 

Also how big is the difference e.g. between an 1660 Ti and an 2060. Would it be definetly the 1660 if i am not interested in RTX? 

An i5-9600K performs a little better than than an i7-7700. Given the outrageous price differential in your area, it would probably make more sense for you to go with an i5-9600K and a z390 motherboard.

I only suggested the i7-7700K because it does not require a motherboard or memory change. 

Using the DDR4-2400 memory with a new i5-9600K will incur a very small performance penalty. The cpu does better with faster memory.

A rough comparison of the two gpu https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti-vs-GeForce-RTX-2060/4045vs4037

I just looked at amazon (Germany) for the pricing of the CPU maybe it would be cheaper somewhere else but If they perform roughly the same then the price will decide I guess. Depending the price of a new MB. 

Don't ask why but could I actually use an Quadro K5200 8GB? No clue if I could just stick it into my setup and if it would work with a driver update.  

No clue either on how much FPS this would spit out compared with the current CPU and against a 1060. 

4 hours ago, miniqpa said:

...Don't ask why but could I actually use an Quadro K5200 8GB? No clue if I could just stick it into my setup and if it would work with a driver update.  

No clue either on how much FPS this would spit out compared with the current CPU and against a 1060. 

Quadro are optimized for CAD and similar applications. They don't generally provide good gaming performance compared to similarly priced gaming gpu.

On 3/28/2019 at 1:55 AM, brob said:

Quadro are optimized for CAD and similar applications. They don't generally provide good gaming performance compared to similarly priced gaming gpu.

Yeah that is what I know but despite that what could be the raw performance compared to any GTX card? Is it worse then a 1060?

Thanks for the help.

I think GTX 1160 Ti and i5-9600k is a good upgrade both for around 600€. 

But I am interested in two more points.

I had a quick look at the vast options on 1160 Ti's on the market and have no clue which on to take. Price is so different.

E.g. on Amazon

Asus ROG Strix GTX 1160 Ti 379€

Asus Dual GTX 1160 Ti 319€

Zotac Gaming GTX 1160 Ti AMP 326€

MSI GTX 1160 Armor OC 295€

On the product pages there is no clear indication on what the clock speeds actual are etc. Which on to take?

And also do I really need an Motherboard upgrade too if I stick an i5-9600k into my Z170 upgrade? Plain out will not work or what will not work then?

Thanks 

A Quadro K5000 has less than 50% the gaming performance of a GTX 1060. So, unless you already own a K5000, it's not worth considering as a primary gaming gpu.

The last 1160 listed is not a Ti. Price differentials are caused by brand preferences, cooling, factory clocks, and bling (RGB). There are performance differences, but generally not more than 4% or so. If 

If you can't find particular specs a the manufacturer's web page, you might check https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/.

See https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/ for a list of cpu supported by your motherboard. Note, no Coffee Lake or later cpu are supported. If you want to use an i5-9600K, then you will need a new motherboard.

Coffee Lake and Coffee Lake Refresh cpu require motherboards that use the C246, B360, B365, H310, H370, Q370, Z370, or Z390 chipsets. (Some motherboards may require a BIOS update to support Coffee Lake Refresh.)