How do I solve/better my internet problem

Lulu25

Hi, I have been having major issues with my internet from lagging to all together randomly disconnecting from my devices. I have metronet and last I remember around 750-1000 Mb internet package. When everything is disconnected other than my computer and a few phones I am getting about 250Mb wireless on my computer upload and download which is good but when everything else is connected I get on average 15-40Mb which fluctuates resulting in the terrible rubberbanding I experience in games. I am not able to run Ethernet up to my computer because of the distance. I changed my router that was provided by the isp and got a tp-link ac-2200 router which I had from when I live in the netherlands (right now I'm in the us). I had increased rage and my speeds were a bit higher because of the bandwidth the router provided but my family experienced their devices disconnecting. Personally I didn't experience this but because of it I had to go back to the original. Sorry for the long essay but I wanted to supply any helpers with as much information as I could provide. First how could I better my internet in not such an expensive way and a friend told me I should run two routers of of the modem and use one for myself. How would I do this, would this work and would this increase my internet speed in anyway.if you have any other solutions I have open ears. 

Thank you guys so much 

Wifi is kind of a mysterious beast.

I would recommend setting your desktop up by the router for a bit and run it on ethernet to see if the issue persist, if it does call your ISP, if it goes away the issue is Wifi

If it is Wifi there is a ton of things it could be, from congestion to collision to one device using all the bandwidth. 

If the wifi still has the problem with dropping/rubberbanding something is most likely using the entire upload or download bandwidth. 

Some test i would run in CMD is ping -n 100 www.google.com and just measure the amount of packet loss.

If it doesn't drop i would run ping -t www.google.com and just let it run for a good while then press ctrl+c to stop it and see if theres any fits of high ping time or packet loss.

Then i would run tracert www.google.com and see if one of the specific hops has a substantially longer amount of time between hops

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

53 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

Wifi is kind of a mysterious beast.

I would recommend setting your desktop up by the router for a bit and run it on ethernet to see if the issue persist, if it does call your ISP, if it goes away the issue is Wifi

If it is Wifi there is a ton of things it could be, from congestion to collision to one device using all the bandwidth. 

If the wifi still has the problem with dropping/rubberbanding something is most likely using the entire upload or download bandwidth. 

Some test i would run in CMD is ping -n 100 www.google.com and just measure the amount of packet loss.

If it doesn't drop i would run ping -t www.google.com and just let it run for a good while then press ctrl+c to stop it and see if theres any fits of high ping time or packet loss.

Then i would run tracert www.google.com and see if one of the specific hops has a substantially longer amount of time between hops

Thank you very much for the information I will try this out as soon as I come home and I will update this post with my results. Cheers