Looking for Personal Backup Storage Solution

Reader,

I am looking for a storage solution that will meet my needs for personal back up better than my current solution. My current solution is a WD passport 1TB, which is several years old and probably on its last legs, ergo the thought into upgrading.

My backed up storage requirements are still within the 1-2tb range and i wont need much more for a while i don't think so a mild investment is acceptable. Due to my lack of knowledge into the personal back up world i have not really though of a budget so just realistic solutions would be nice, cheaper the better of course. 

Im looking for the storage to be:

• Relatively Fast (my current WD passport is so slow for copying and accessing, cant even watch a video) 
  • 1tb minimum but prefer 2tb unless I'm sacrificing space for cost effective speed. 
  • Secure! Some kind of encryption, or password protection, or something.
  • Doesn't HAVE to be portable, but I'm not too good with servers and Cloud base storage, but I'm willing to learn if its advantageous enough. (would probably still need Cable access for speeeeds) 
  • Probably some other things but i cant think of them off the top of my head. 

My realistic use of this device or product is to back up my PC/Laptop's In one go (right now its really slow and i only back up personal or critical files, to which i clean regularly) then once i have performed said back up, i would store it away somewhere safe/ turn it off. So security and speed are my main focuses. I'm not to bothered about cloud access or network storage, but open to learn it and work on it if it is SUPER worth it, considering my use case. 

Thanks to all those who read and/or help! 

Have a lovely day. 

Sounds like all you need is just a pair of 2tb usb 3 drives. one for you and another for offsite.

Actually you could just buy a single one and still use your current drive as the offsite

7 minutes ago, TokiToki said:

Secure! Some kind of encryption, or password protection, or something.

I'd almost kind of recommend against that as if you are the only one using the drive it really is only a hindrance to you and nobody else if the encryption software fails or you forget the password. Just adding another link into the possible failures chain

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

Sounds like all you need is just a pair of 2tb usb 3 drives. one for you and another for offsite.

Actually you could just buy a single one and still use your current drive as the offsite

I'd almost kind of recommend against that as if you are the only one using the drive it really is only a hindrance to you and nobody else if the encryption software fails or you forget the password. Just adding another link into the possible failures chain

Im all in the air for what i want, I currently have a usb 3 WD passport, and its just so slow. Only reason im looking to buy another is a hear that you should replace your HDD every 6 or so years. Though i haven't used it much i would be pretty salty if any info got lost so its just to be sure. Would getting a SSD be a better choice? I  know htey only have a finite number of Read write cycles, but then that's ultimately the same regardless of if its a HDD or SSD, no? 

2 minutes ago, TokiToki said:

I currently have a usb 3 WD passport, and its just so slow

why is it slow if it's usb 3 it should be more that sufficient to run any media off of

3 minutes ago, TokiToki said:

finite number of Read write cycles, but then that's ultimately the same regardless of if its a HDD or SSD, no?

a hdd wears differently than an ssd and theoretically can last more read/write cycles if it never succumb to mechanical wear

but for long term storage the hdd is much cheaper and does the exact same job as the ssd in that situation

9 minutes ago, emosun said:

why is it slow if it's usb 3 it should be more that sufficient to run any media off of

a hdd wears differently than an ssd and theoretically can last more read/write cycles if it never succumb to mechanical wear

but for long term storage the hdd is much cheaper and does the exact same job as the ssd in that situation

My Current Portable HDD is really old, and i think its only 5200rpm, so its limited, when im moving a 25gb folder it will take well over an hour to complete. The bottle neck if definitely the HDD obviously. It also sits for long periods of time in a safe, which i hear that HDDs can sometimes loose data over time and that doesn't happen with SSDs? not 100% might just be a rumour.