Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
serotonin

Possible defect on Aorus AD27QD monitor

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello. A few days ago I asked for recommendations for a monitor. I ended up buying the Aorus monitor. It's pretty nice. 

However, I've started to notice something strange while playing Metro Exodus and GTA V. Whenever I move my mouse from a static position, there's some kind of shadow in my field of view when I move my mouse from left to right. Also, whenever I move my mouse around in the desktop, the cursor leaves a trail of cursors behind. Is this normal? I'm not really sure what this defect is called. It's like when I look at a painting and I move my character a bit, there's some kind of shadow or smudge. This is very apparent when I'm driving around in Los Santos at night. It's very distracting. 

G-SYNC compatibility is turned ON in the NVIDIA Control Panel. FreeSync is turned on in my monitor. I tried turning off FreeSync and turning on Aim Stabilizer but the same issue still happens. 

I still have a few days to return this monitor and get a replacement. Thanks for helping :D 

You could have a look at the UFO ghosting test, just Google that. Kinda sounds like ghosting. Also did you enable 144hz in the control panel?

Spoiler

Xeon E3-1231v3, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2, Corsair Vengeance Pro 4x4GB @1600MHz, MSI z97s SLI Krait EditionSamsung 850 EVO 512GB and a 2TB WD Blue, Gigabyte RTX 2060 Windforce OC, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650, Corsair Hydro H75

Lenovo L480 (i5-8250U, 16GB RAM)

8 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

What's your refresh rate?

It's set to 144Hz. I currently have 144, 120, and 60Hz choices 

9 minutes ago, martward said:

You could have a look at the UFO ghosting test, just Google that. Kinda sounds like ghosting. Also did you enable 144hz in the control panel?

I checked it just now. There's ghosting, according to this article. https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-overdrive-artifacts/ Does this qualify for a monitor replacement? It's really hard to play with this kind of thing showing up while moving around in Metro. It ruins the immersion 

ufo.png

1 hour ago, serotonin said:

It's set to 144Hz. I currently have 144, 120, and 60Hz choices 

I checked it just now. There's ghosting, according to this article. https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-overdrive-artifacts/ Does this qualify for a monitor replacement? It's really hard to play with this kind of thing showing up while moving around in Metro. It ruins the immersion 

Ah yeah that sucks. I don't think a new monitor of the same type will solve it, but I really don't know enough about this tbh. There should be some setting called 'overdrive' or 'response times' or something like that in the OSD of you display. You can play around with that to see if it becomes acceptable.

Otherwise I guess you could send it back and look for a different monitor. 

Spoiler

Xeon E3-1231v3, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2, Corsair Vengeance Pro 4x4GB @1600MHz, MSI z97s SLI Krait EditionSamsung 850 EVO 512GB and a 2TB WD Blue, Gigabyte RTX 2060 Windforce OC, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650, Corsair Hydro H75

Lenovo L480 (i5-8250U, 16GB RAM)

37 minutes ago, martward said:

Ah yeah that sucks. I don't think a new monitor of the same type will solve it, but I really don't know enough about this tbh. There should be some setting called 'overdrive' or 'response times' or something like that in the OSD of you display. You can play around with that to see if it becomes acceptable.

Otherwise I guess you could send it back and look for a different monitor. 

Oh, there is an Overdrive function in this monitor. It has Picture Quality, Balance, and Speed. I don't notice much of a difference between those three. I'll return to the shop tomorrow and ask for a replacement. 

4 hours ago, serotonin said:

Hello. A few days ago I asked for recommendations for a monitor. I ended up buying the Aorus monitor. It's pretty nice. 

However, I've started to notice something strange while playing Metro Exodus and GTA V. Whenever I move my mouse from a static position, there's some kind of shadow in my field of view when I move my mouse from left to right. Also, whenever I move my mouse around in the desktop, the cursor leaves a trail of cursors behind. Is this normal? I'm not really sure what this defect is called. It's like when I look at a painting and I move my character a bit, there's some kind of shadow or smudge. This is very apparent when I'm driving around in Los Santos at night. It's very distracting. 

G-SYNC compatibility is turned ON in the NVIDIA Control Panel. FreeSync is turned on in my monitor. I tried turning off FreeSync and turning on Aim Stabilizer but the same issue still happens. 

I still have a few days to return this monitor and get a replacement. Thanks for helping :D 

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/aorus/ad27qd

Try their settings. Set it to 'speed' and enable BFI (or if u have BFI enabled already try disabling it as it would seem it can cause image doubling on this screen). Hopefull that will help. If not then it would seem your the kind of person who picks up on ghosting alot, meaning ur likely going to want to avoid IPS and VA panels. I mean, thats a pritty good pixel resposne (9.3ms) for a IPS panel so if ur noticing ghosting with that ur unlikely to find another IPS (or VA) panel thats any better.

CPU:Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/OC & EK Water Block | SoundCard: Asus Xonar D2X - FiiO X3K DAP/DAC for Headphones | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads (Push) + NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad (Push/Pull) | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w | Case: Modded CM Storm Stryker | Panasonic 42" Plasma

On 3/15/2019 at 10:01 PM, SolarNova said:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/aorus/ad27qd

Try their settings. Set it to 'speed' and enable BFI (or if u have BFI enabled already try disabling it as it would seem it can cause image doubling on this screen). Hopefull that will help. If not then it would seem your the kind of person who picks up on ghosting alot, meaning ur likely going to want to avoid IPS and VA panels. I mean, thats a pritty good pixel resposne (9.3ms) for a IPS panel so if ur noticing ghosting with that ur unlikely to find another IPS (or VA) panel thats any better.

Hi! I tinkered with the settings again and it seems that Overdrive was working as intended for me. While 'Speed' Overdrive removed the annoying ghosting effect in Metro Exodus, it made GTA V look worse. When I set it to Balance, the ghosting is eliminated, even while driving. I will run a series of tests for a few more days. 

One thing that really bothers me is that sometimes the monitor gets stuck at 120Hz. Yes, it's at 120Hz on my OSD and in the Nvidia Control Panel. The 144Hz option is missing. I'm not sure why this gets eliminated. I think it has something to do with switching from DP 1.2+HDR to DP 1.2? Even if I turn off FreeSync and turn on Aim Stabilizer, it still gets stuck at 120Hz. I had to reset the settings and mess with the other items just to randomly get back the 144Hz. I'm not sure if this is a bug but it's really annoying. My old G-SYNC monitor never had this problem. it was constantly at 144hz 

1 hour ago, serotonin said:

Hi! I tinkered with the settings again and it seems that Overdrive was working as intended for me. While 'Speed' Overdrive removed the annoying ghosting effect in Metro Exodus, it made GTA V look worse. When I set it to Balance, the ghosting is eliminated, even while driving. I will run a series of tests for a few more days. 

One thing that really bothers me is that sometimes the monitor gets stuck at 120Hz. Yes, it's at 120Hz on my OSD and in the Nvidia Control Panel. The 144Hz option is missing. I'm not sure why this gets eliminated. I think it has something to do with switching from DP 1.2+HDR to DP 1.2? Even if I turn off FreeSync and turn on Aim Stabilizer, it still gets stuck at 120Hz. I had to reset the settings and mess with the other items just to randomly get back the 144Hz. I'm not sure if this is a bug but it's really annoying. My old G-SYNC monitor never had this problem. it was constantly at 144hz 

I would not worry about it, that monitor doesn't have a fast enough pixel response to keep up with even 120hz let alone 144hz anyway, so u wont be getting the full benefit.

You need 6.9ms or less for 144hz, and 8.3ms or less for 120hz, that monitor has a 9.3ms response time at its 'speed' setting. At 9.3ms u can go up to a about 107hz, beyond that ur not getting the full benefit of higher refresh as the pixels cant keep up fully, resulting in blurring from one pixel transition to the next beyond 107hz.

CPU:Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/OC & EK Water Block | SoundCard: Asus Xonar D2X - FiiO X3K DAP/DAC for Headphones | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads (Push) + NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad (Push/Pull) | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w | Case: Modded CM Storm Stryker | Panasonic 42" Plasma