audio from laptop to tower through 3.5mm not playing on tower

Slytheox

I am trying to send the audio from my laptop to my tower pc through a 3.5mm (without mic audio channel). when i plug in the cable in my laptop it stops sending the audio to the built in speakers but even if plugged in to my tower the audio is never delivered, at best i can get static noise on my tower.
Opening sound management and going to record and the unit for LINE IN and check listen to this unit it only produce static noise. have done nothing on my laptop other then plug in the cable.

do i need some other software to be able to do this or is a 3.5mm cable not good enough alone ?

EDIT: apparently all i needed was a software to take care of sounds on the tower, as i got recomended voicemeter potato and after got that installed and restarted pc twice the sound seams to work as i want it.

Edited by Slytheox

just use the mic channel on the desktop if you need to record the laptops audio

11 minutes ago, emosun said:

just use the mic channel on the desktop if you need to record the laptops audio

the pink is already in use for my headset mic and the green for the speakers in the headset, so it only leaves the blue LINE IN. want to be able to listen to the audio in the headset.

EDIT: i guess this is unclear in my original post. i wish for the sound to be sent to my tower where i use a headset that require both mic and audio jack, but my laptop only has one 3.5mm jack. so i need to use my tower to be able to speak with people. but i does mayority of my stuff on my laptop that is related to sound, and i would like to avoid having to use a phone headset under my normal headset just to be able to do both at the same time

2 minutes ago, Slytheox said:

the green for the speakers in the headset

2 minutes ago, Slytheox said:

want to be able to listen to the audio in the headset

so plug the headset into the laptop