Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Milyan360

**Urgent I need help with building my new PC**

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys,

I was researching different types of memory and found that L1 CPU cache is really fast and was wondering if i could buy maybe 32GB drive of L1 cache for a boot drive since my current hard drive is too slow.

If you could send me some link to where i could get some for my boot drive it would be greatly appreciated.  

L1 cache is fast because it's inside the CPU directly next to the cores, therefore not sold separately. Also insanely expensive (that's why modern CPUs don't even have 1GB of it inside, consumer parts have less than 1MB).

Studying abroad, ditched the crappy laptop for a do-all laptop double. Dried factory CPU paste, long memory timings, cooler cools the inductors but not the mosfets and an inch of unused internal space on both left and right

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV system agent undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (1696MHz 0.812V ~ 1860MHz 0.95V) RAM: 12GB DDR4-2666 19-19-19-43 2T Storage: 128GB Toshiba NVMe SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) Monitor: 1080p 120Hz IPS G-sync

The best thing to do is reading the clock speed that doesnt end in a pair of zeros. Software voltage readings are wrong if your motherboard's not a high end model

CPU: i7-2600K 4493MHz (multiplier: 43x) 1.35V (software) --> 1.4V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 104.5MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 10-11-11-30 2T 2133MHz, custom: 10-11-10-30 1T 2229MHz) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (OC'd 150Hz) TN Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Results: Cinebench R15 Single thread:159 Multi-thread: 770 (thx Meltdown Spectre patch) Super Pi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.11s 1M: 8.4s 32M: 7m 45.9s

12 minutes ago, Milyan360 said:

since my current hard drive is too slow.

Buy an SSD.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Posted · Original PosterOP

Would it be possible for me to buy a lot of CPU's and take out the L1 cache? if that's not possible ill be happy with L2 cache but i think L3 cache is too slow for me. And an ssd is too slow i think.

According to the website. the seller is a gold supplier, and has a good deal on bulk CPUs.

Help.PNG

9 hours ago, Milyan360 said:

Would it be possible for me to buy a lot of CPU's and take out the L1 cache? if that's not possible ill be happy with L2 cache but i think L3 cache is too slow for me. And an ssd is too slow i think.

Possible? Maybe. Useful? No. Expensive? Extremely. SSDs, M.2 if you want fast, are way to go. They are still expensive, and you can do RAID0 if you want even faster. But I don't know what tasks you have in mind if SSDs might be too slow.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

No. At least not without equipment that costs a lot. The cache is actually built into the die, so you would literally be disassembling the silicon. 

Also cache is volatile, so you literally cannot use it as storage. On top of that, there is no way to connect it to a motherboard or any other chipset.

This is almost like asking "I have a core i3 with dual cores, but I can get this core i7 that has four cores, but runs on the wrong socket. Can I just take some cores off and put them on my cpu?"

Trust me, you'll be happy with a 970 evo.

I can only assume that this is not a real request for information, seeing as they are asking if it's worth while buying CPU's to take the L1 cache from it...

Considering that this would take hundreds, if not thousands, of CPU's to do it for even 1Gb of space, even 'if' it were possible...  I can only assume this is a troll post and cannot possibly be real...

Each of the chips mentioned have what? 8 32Kb L1 cache space from what I've seen?

One CPU would have 0.000256Gb of L1 Cache space on it so yeah, I ain't even bothering with the math.

The OP knows an SSD would be the obvious option.

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

Art Tablets: UGEE 15.6" Graphics Monitor & XP-Pen 15.6" Display Tablet

-= Locked =-

Fantastic question but not realistic.

OP you are either ignorant to what L1 is or you are purposefully leading on with your question.

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.

~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER