Gpu thermals and case fan issue

fubaredsnaggle

Ok so for starters this is my first computer since the windows 98 era so I'm kind of re-learning all things computer.

My sapphire nitro+ rx 590 seems to be running hotter than it should. Playing nfs payback at 1080p I have to run the fans at 100% just to be in the 70c range. It runs pretty loud. I've noticed that the heat pipes in the gpu cooler aren't soldered to the fins, is this normal?  I currently have the card apart to change out the thermal paste to noctua NT-H1, if it helps I will update my post.

So on to my case fan question. My rear exhaust fan has oil or grease all over the back side of the blades and the inner diameter area of the housing itself. This grease or oil wasn't all over it when I moved it to it's current location in the case. Is this something that indicates any sort of failure or does it just happen sometimes with cheap case fans? In case it matters it's an apevia fan in a really cheap apevia case that i definitely never should have bought.

GPU. The 70C is normal temp. Not really that hot. You can easily have GPU running at 80C, so you can lower fan speed. With GPUs, danger temp is usually said to be 90C, with 85C+ being hot.

Case fan seems to have spilled itself. That could indicate failure. If you are keen to keeping it alive, clean it with WD-40 and paper towels, then refill motor with new oil.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks for the info. I replaced the fan because i didn't like the idea of it spitting oil out that close to the motherboard. I also flipped my bottom fan to intake instead of exhaust because i figured it could've been causing airflow issues with the gpu fans.

7 hours ago, fubaredsnaggle said:

Thanks for the info. I replaced the fan because i didn't like the idea of it spitting oil out that close to the motherboard. I also flipped my bottom fan to intake instead of exhaust because i figured it could've been causing airflow issues with the gpu fans.

Good choice. If you have bottom mounted PSU and have it fan facing upwards, switching that around also helps with GPU also.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...

My psu fan is facing down because having it face up prevents me from being able to use a bottom case fan. In the future I'll be sure to buy a case that isn't $40 worth of garbage.