Building a Laptop with a desktop motherboard from old laptop

I was thinking of buying and old laptop shell that was thick enough to fit a motherboard.

i don't really care if the io on the back of the motherboard hangs out but if you could help with any advice it would be appreciated 

There's no laptop chassis or barebone that will accept even a standard ITX motherboard.

If you really want to go down this path, you can either track down one of those all-in-one backbones which accepts Thin Mini ITX (which is very hard to find), or you can just get an Intel NUC or Zotac Deskmini and attach it behind your monitor using the include VESA mount. Building in a small form factor case is also an option.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

i dont really care if its messy

but are there any thick laptops that i could use as a chassis 

1 minute ago, Plasma965 said:

You have a really good idea, but I'm not sure if you could get a desktop motherboard to work in a laptop case.

- You would need a pretty small power supply.

- The laptop screen wouldn't just plug in to the mobo

- The track pad and keyboard wouldn't work unless you had an adapter.

- What about the battery?

Whats your end goal?

like a beefy VR backpack?

26 minutes ago, Plasma965 said:

You could maybe use a "motorola atrix lapdock" as an hdmi monitor and usb keyboard, there is some stuff floating around the internet about it. Its worth a look.

18 hours ago, CodeNova said:

You could maybe use a "motorola atrix lapdock" as an hdmi monitor and usb keyboard, there is some stuff floating around the internet about it. Its worth a look.

I'm not too worried about a keyboard or trackpad and the battery i could think about later. 

Could you please let me now if there is a small power supply that has alot of wattage.

i saw one on Linus's video on the water cooled server but im not sure if that would work. 

4 minutes ago, Plasma965 said:

I'm not too worried about a keyboard or trackpad and the battery i could think about later. 

Could you please let me now if there is a small power supply that has alot of wattage.

i saw one on Linus's video on the water cooled server but im not sure if that would work. 

150 watt

300 watt

300 watt

Edit: can't promise the specs are genuine.