Telegram sees 3 million new users following Facebook outage

kuhnertdm

Source: https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/14/telegram-gets-3m-new-signups-during-facebook-apps-outage/

During most of yesterday, social media giant Facebook was unavailable for use, along with related apps and websites. It seems that the competition has benefited greatly: Telegram founder Pavel Durov announced on the Telegram platform today that he was seeing 3 million new signups in the last 24 hours. He did not specifically mention Facebook or the outage, but did drop the words "true privacy" in a possible jab at Facebook's notoriety for abysmal user privacy.

Telegram is a chat app that boasts a focus on privacy and encryption to make sure that only those who are intended by a user to see a message, will see it. The app has faced legal issues including blocks in nations such as Russia, which tried unsuccessfully to compel Telegram to provide encryption backdoors to the Russian government.

The app is not without its own shortcomings, though. Telegram does not enable end-to-end encryption by default, which is not immediately apparent to users. In addition, there has been contention on the merits of Telegram's encryption protocol versus the newer Signal protocol, used by the Signal app and others such as the popular WhatsApp. Both Signal and WhatsApp enable end-to-end encryption by default. However, much of the reasoning for signing up for Telegram versus Signal or WhatsApp may come from Telegram's more simple interface and improved usability.

>"true privacy"

>wants a phone number in order to register

KEK

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

It’s nice of those 3 million Android uses to do so.

9 hours ago, aezakmi said:

>"true privacy"

>wants a phone number in order to register

KEK

You don't need to identify yourself when buying a sim card.

Also, this feature lets you see all your friends who are on the app

2 hours ago, noir said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I think in the EU you have to since a change in legislation recently 

I have been using Telegram for ages, best IM there is.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, NeuesTestament said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I think in the EU you have to since a change in legislation recently 

The whole EU, no, but there are a couple countries Like Sweden and Denmark i think, and as mentioned above Indonesia.

tbh not a big fan of Telegram. There does not seem to be a way to register without a phone number, they have also caved to moderating content. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Disappointing that people weren't switching to signal. It's far more privacy focused.

6 minutes ago, ElfFriend said:

Disappointing that people weren't switching to signal. It's far more privacy focused.

This. I have trust issues with Telegram. Not only it doesn't have actual E2E encryption of communication, it's controlled by Arabs. Call me prejudicial or racist, but lets be honest, they are rubbish when it comes to human rights. Signal on the other hand is open source, does have E2E and is an American company. Americans kinda have better track record with that...

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

This. I have trust issues with Telegram. Not only it doesn't have actual E2E encryption of communication, it's controlled by Arabs. Call me prejudicial or racist, but lets be honest, they are rubbish when it comes to human rights. Signal on the other hand is open source, does have E2E and is an American company. Americans kinda have better track record with that...

I've got 0 issues with where the devs are located or who they are as long as it's open source.

15 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

crazy how many people are so addicted to social media that they can´t even take off for a few hours

Messenger out is a bigger concern than Facebook itself. I don't text anymore, everyone is on Messenger. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

4 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Messenger out is a bigger concern than Facebook itself. I don't text anymore, everyone is on Messenger. 

I'm still using old SMS and sometimes MMS. Call me old fashioned, but the thing just (still) works and anyone with a phone can receive it. With bunch of these messengers, you specifically need to use one or you're unreachable. So, that's an issue if you need to tell everyone "yo, I'm only on Signal so it would be nice if you use that". Then imagine you have bunch of contacts all using different stuff and you end up using 5 messaging clients because of that. With SMS, I only need to own a phone. I can cram as much text as I want in them and dumb emojis and other garbage are the last thing I want to see in them. So, SMS it is.

On 3/15/2019 at 9:57 AM, noir said:

You do in most of (west) Europe and the USA as far as I know. More and more countries require you to identify yourself after the phone-bomb attacks in Brussels.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Why is everyone talking about buying SIM cards? Google Voice and other VOIP numbers work with Telegram.

On 3/16/2019 at 6:06 AM, RejZoR said:

I'm still using old SMS and sometimes MMS. Call me old fashioned, but the thing just (still) works and anyone with a phone can receive it. With bunch of these messengers, you specifically need to use one or you're unreachable. So, that's an issue if you need to tell everyone "yo, I'm only on Signal so it would be nice if you use that". Then imagine you have bunch of contacts all using different stuff and you end up using 5 messaging clients because of that. With SMS, I only need to own a phone. I can cram as much text as I want in them and dumb emojis and other garbage are the last thing I want to see in them. So, SMS it is.

This is already a huge problem... I refuse to use anything owned by facebook... 99% of everyone I know uses FB & Messenger or Whatsapp and so forth... and flatly refuses to use anything else... they've seemingly lost the ability to communicate by any other means... Often complaining that 'you're not on facebook' to me so can't keep in touch. It's almost like they're not aware of any other form of communication exists outside of their tiny narrow minded bubble.

To be honest.. I no longer consider them friends... because it's a two way street and when once side demands you use a specific app to keep in touch and they refuse to do it any other way., they've lost touch with rationality and reality and have become a shallow, selfish & ignorant human being... I'm better of without that kind of person in my life.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.