Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
avrona

Any Point in Getting a Non-Stock Cooler?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I'm planning on upgrading to a 3600x when it comes out, but I want it to be a really budget update as possible, skipping over a lot of things like a new PSU as my current one doesn't even officially support 2 8 pin cards like the one I have in my PC right now but oh well. I've seen many people recently buying additional coolers for their PC's, either extra air coolers or AIO coolers, so will there be any point in me getting a non-stock cooler with my upgrade? Even with my current CPU I don't have any temp issues with an extremely basic cooling solution and that thing is infamous for running extremely hot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, avrona said:

So I'm planning on upgrading to a 3600x when it comes out, but I want it to be a really budget update as possible, skipping over a lot of things like a new PSU as my current one doesn't even officially support 2 8 pin cards like the one I have in my PC right now but oh well. I've seen many people recently buying additional coolers for their PC's, either extra air coolers or AIO coolers, so will there be any point in me getting a non-stock cooler with my upgrade? Even with my current CPU I don't have any temp issues with an extremely basic cooling solution and that thing is infamous for running extremely hot.

Just get a 212 evo. Inexpensive and good.


Professional procrastinator.                                                                                                                                                                       

My many computers:

Main Rig

Laptop

Inspiron 530

Pi 3 B+

98 Gaming

DOS Gaming

Now i need a 07 Mac Pro with a 8800GT in it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're not overclocking much or at all, there's really little point. You might get higher sustained boost speeds with an aftermarket cooler, but it won't be a world's difference from the stock solution. I wouldn't worry about it at all.


“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” - Martin Luther King Jr.


The Desktops

Main Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | Motherboard: Asus Strix Z270E | Storage: 256GB SSD, 2x1TB HDD | GPU: GTX 1080 Strix O8G

Cooling: Dual 240mm AIOs | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C (modified) | PSU: EVGA GS 550W

VR Rig: CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 | RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | Storage: 256GB SSD + 750GB HDD | GPU: GTX 970 Strix (BIOS modded, MSI Twin Frozr cooler) Cooling: 92mm Tower Cooler Push/Pull | Case: Silverstone GD09B | PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W | HMD: Oculus Rift CV1 with 2 sensors

Server: CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5645 | RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333 ECC | Motherboard: Supermicro X8DAi | GPU: Sparkle GTX 550 Ti

Cooling: 92mm Tower Cooler, Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | Storage: 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG | PSU: Corsair CX550M


The Laptops

Lenovo X230: CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M | RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600 | Storage: 128GB SSD | GPU: Intel HD 4000 | Lenovo 44+ 84Wh Battery

MacBook Air (Early 2015, A1466) 13": CPU: Intel Core i5-5250M | RAM: 4GB DDR3-1600 | Storage: 256GB SSD | GPU: Intel HD 6000

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Just get a 212 evo. Inexpensive and good.

Too expensive these days, the $30+ price point isn't worth it.


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

If you're not overclocking much or at all, there's really little point. You might get higher sustained boost speeds with an aftermarket cooler, but it won't be a world's difference from the stock solution. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Yeah I'll probably won't be overclocking, don't have much need for it as my graphics card is really what kinda is and probably will be sustaining my system's performance, besides I even doubt I have too much headroom for overclocking in terms of my PSU, though from what I've read so far the 3600x should be less power consuming than my current CPU, so I may do it at least a little.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, avrona said:

Yeah I'll probably won't be overclocking, don't have much need for it as my graphics card is really what kinda is and probably will be sustaining my system's performance, besides I even doubt I have too much headroom for overclocking in terms of my PSU, though from what I've read so far the 3600x should be less power consuming than my current CPU, so I may do it at least a little.

No overclocking, no problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, avrona said:

Yeah I'll probably won't be overclocking, don't have much need for it as my graphics card is really what kinda is and probably will be sustaining my system's performance, besides I even doubt I have too much headroom for overclocking in terms of my PSU, though from what I've read so far the 3600x should be less power consuming than my current CPU, so I may do it at least a little.

From what I gathered about AMD's CPUs is that AMD's turbo boost is similar to GPUs: the CPU will overclock as fast as it can within voltage and thermal tolerances on it's own. And it hits the voltage limit pretty quickly. With the Ryzen 2 slides, they were saying you can expect a whopping 7% performance uplift for using premium cooling.

 

So basically, aftermarket cooling on AMD's side seems to be more aesthetics than performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With my 2600x I wasn't able to sustain a constant 4.2ghz clockspeed with the stock cooler. I could only get it to hold 4.0 but with my h100iv2 I've been able to hold a steady 4.3ghz clock without getting over 45c.

 

If you can find a good deal on an aio (below msrp) I would recommend it because you'll end up with a quieter and more stable solution for most applications.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 hours ago, fubaredsnaggle said:

With my 2600x I wasn't able to sustain a constant 4.2ghz clockspeed with the stock cooler. I could only get it to hold 4.0 but with my h100iv2 I've been able to hold a steady 4.3ghz clock without getting over 45c.

 

If you can find a good deal on an aio (below msrp) I would recommend it because you'll end up with a quieter and more stable solution for most applications.

I'm not planning on overclocking though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Just get a 212 evo. Inexpensive and good.

Or not. There are much better alternatives in same price range. Only if its only good option, so if OP is located in Asia or S-America.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Or not. There are much better alternatives in same price range. Only if its only good option, so if OP is located in Asia or S-America.

Which I'm not, I live in England.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×