Budget-ish Server Build

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
44 minutes ago, CodeError said:

My current build consists of the following:
- Single Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2 (6 cores, 12 threads) @ 3.20 GHz
- 64GB of DDR3 ECC RAM
- 240GB Samsung SSD
- 3TB Seagate IronWolf NAS HDD

Although I have upgraded it quite a bit, my main problem is that this server was bought and not built. Storage is not a problem for me, but RAM and CPU processing power are. My current server can support a maximum of 64GB of RAM, which I would like more of for more virtualization. I currently have the second strongest CPU available for the system, which is not much different than the strongest available (Intel Xeon E5-2687W) aside from 2 more cores and 4 more threads than my current CPU.

This is why I am thinking about building a system.

Id probably get another used server, normally there a better deal than building. Look at a dell r720. You get dual 2011, put something like e5 2680 v2s if you want lots of cpu power(10 cores, 2.8). They can hold something like 768gb of ram, so that shouldn't be a limit for a while.

Hey all!

I've made a little bit of spending cash and would like to a spend maximum of around $900 CAD (Canadian Dollars) on a budget-ish server build for virtualization. I currently already have a virtualization server running VMware ESXi 6.7 that hosts a couple of VMs on it already, and thought I should build another one for hosting more VMs. Any recommended specifications would be greatly appreciated!

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Whats your current server? Why not just make it a bit faster? What are you limited by ? Ram ? disk io? cpu?

- 64GB of DDR3 ECC RAM
- 240GB Samsung SSD

Although I have upgraded it quite a bit, my main problem is that this server was bought and not built. Storage is not a problem for me, but RAM and CPU processing power are. My current server can support a maximum of 64GB of RAM, which I would like more of for more virtualization. I currently have the second strongest CPU available for the system, which is not much different than the strongest available (Intel Xeon E5-2687W) aside from 2 more cores and 4 more threads than my current CPU.

44 minutes ago, CodeError said:

- 64GB of DDR3 ECC RAM
- 240GB Samsung SSD

Id probably get another used server, normally there a better deal than building. Look at a dell r720. You get dual 2011, put something like e5 2680 v2s if you want lots of cpu power(10 cores, 2.8). They can hold something like 768gb of ram, so that shouldn't be a limit for a while.

26 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably get another used server, normally there a better deal than building. Look at a dell r720. You get dual 2011, put something like e5 2680 v2s if you want lots of cpu power(10 cores, 2.8). They can hold something like 768gb of ram, so that shouldn't be a limit for a while.

Looks promising, thank you!