Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leon12321

Thoughts on build?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/leon12321/saved/7NPRJx

 

I'm pretty happy with it but I could do with some suggestions and some tweaks before buying the individual parts.

 

My budget is around £650 and it is intended for gaming.

 

I don't intend on using an 8GB graphics card since I'm using a 1080p monitor.

 

I would not want to change the case for the hundredth time, who would want to get rid of the P350X anyways?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, leon12321 said:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/leon12321/saved/7NPRJx

 

I'm pretty happy with it but I could do with some suggestions and some tweaks before buying the individual parts.

 

My budget is around £650 and it is intended for gaming.

 

I don't intend on using an 8GB graphics card since I'm using a 1080p monitor.

 

I would not want to change the case for the hundredth time, who would want to get rid of the P350X anyways?

Everything looks good to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, leon12321 said:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/leon12321/saved/7NPRJx

 

I'm pretty happy with it but I could do with some suggestions and some tweaks before buying the individual parts.

 

My budget is around £650 and it is intended for gaming.

 

I don't intend on using an 8GB graphics card since I'm using a 1080p monitor.

 

I would not want to change the case for the hundredth time, who would want to get rid of the P350X anyways?

Looks great! 

I've never used Cooler Master power supplies, so I cant vouch for their quality. 

Also, if you don't mind 4ms response time, the Acer SB220Q bi is an excellent monitor. 


"Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?"
-Discord

Link to post
Share on other sites

3rd gen Ryzen rumoured to be ready for July release, so... wait if you can, but don't if you cannot. Not like 2600 is slow at all for a mid range rig.

 

I did manage to change a few things

 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor £146.50 @ Aria PC
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard £89.98 @ CCL Computers
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £85.69 @ CCL Computers
Storage Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £39.99 @ Aria PC
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For £0.00
Video Card Asus - Radeon RX 580 4 GB Dual Video Card £154.97 @ Ebuyer
Case Corsair - Carbide Series 275R (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case £55.00 @ AWD-IT
Power Supply Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £54.89 @ Box Limited
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  
Case Fan Fractal Design - GP14-BK 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan £10.49 @ Amazon UK
Case Fan Fractal Design - GP14-BK 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan £10.49 @ Amazon UK
Monitor Asus - VG245H 24.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor £0.00
Other SanDisk Ultra 32 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 100 MB/s - Black £7.42 @ Amazon UK
Other Wifi Dongle, AC600 802.11ac Dual Band 5GHz Mini Wireless Network USB Wifi Adapter for PC Desktop Laptop Tablet, Support Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP/2000, Mac Os X 10.4-10.11.4 and 10.12.1 £12.99 @ Amazon UK
Other Tapis de Souris Gaming XXL, GIM Grand souris tapis Mousepad Tapis Clavier Tapis de Bureau Compatible Souris Laser Optique PC Gamers antidérapant surface spéciale texturée (30.7 x 11.8 x 0.19 inches) (2-Black Edge) £0.00
Other USB Keyboard Wired【Comfortable & Durable】VicTsing Full Size Keyboard with 105 Chiclet Keys Quick Responsive, Plug and Play for Laptop, PC, Computer Windows Mac etc. – UK Layout, Black £8.59 @ Amazon UK
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total £677.00
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-14 21:56 GMT+0000  

Changed case only to lower cost

 

changed fans to lower cost

 

use a much faster SSD with twice the capacity

 

34 minutes ago, leon12321 said:

I would not want to change the case for the hundredth time, who would want to get rid of the P350X anyways?

To show how much I hate Phantek's decision on not including all the drive cages with the Evolv?


Studying abroad, ditched the crappy laptop for a do-all laptop double. Dried factory CPU paste, long memory timings, cooler cools the inductors but not the mosfets and an inch of unused internal space on both left and right

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV system agent undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (1696MHz 0.812V ~ 1860MHz 0.95V) RAM: 12GB DDR4-2666 19-19-19-43 2T Storage: 128GB Toshiba NVMe SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) Monitor: 1080p 120Hz IPS G-sync

 

The best thing to do is reading the clock speed that doesnt end in a pair of zeros. Software voltage readings are wrong if your motherboard's not a high end model

CPU: i7-2600K 4493MHz (multiplier: 43x) 1.35V (software) --> 1.4V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 104.5MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 10-11-11-30 2T 2133MHz, custom: 10-11-10-30 1T 2229MHz) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (OC'd 150Hz) TN Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Results: Cinebench R15 Single thread:159 Multi-thread: 770 (thx Meltdown Spectre patch) Super Pi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.11s 1M: 8.4s 32M: 7m 45.9s

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

3rd gen Ryzen rumoured to be ready for July release, so... wait if you can, but don't if you cannot. Not like 2600 is slow at all for a mid range rig.

 

I did manage to change a few things

 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor £146.50 @ Aria PC
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard £89.98 @ CCL Computers
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £85.69 @ CCL Computers
Storage Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £39.99 @ Aria PC
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For £0.00
Video Card Asus - Radeon RX 580 4 GB Dual Video Card £154.97 @ Ebuyer
Case Corsair - Carbide Series 275R (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case £55.00 @ AWD-IT
Power Supply Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £54.89 @ Box Limited
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  
Case Fan Fractal Design - GP14-BK 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan £10.49 @ Amazon UK
Case Fan Fractal Design - GP14-BK 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan £10.49 @ Amazon UK
Monitor Asus - VG245H 24.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor £0.00
Other SanDisk Ultra 32 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 100 MB/s - Black £7.42 @ Amazon UK
Other Wifi Dongle, AC600 802.11ac Dual Band 5GHz Mini Wireless Network USB Wifi Adapter for PC Desktop Laptop Tablet, Support Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP/2000, Mac Os X 10.4-10.11.4 and 10.12.1 £12.99 @ Amazon UK
Other Tapis de Souris Gaming XXL, GIM Grand souris tapis Mousepad Tapis Clavier Tapis de Bureau Compatible Souris Laser Optique PC Gamers antidérapant surface spéciale texturée (30.7 x 11.8 x 0.19 inches) (2-Black Edge) £0.00
Other USB Keyboard Wired【Comfortable & Durable】VicTsing Full Size Keyboard with 105 Chiclet Keys Quick Responsive, Plug and Play for Laptop, PC, Computer Windows Mac etc. – UK Layout, Black £8.59 @ Amazon UK
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total £677.00
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-14 21:56 GMT+0000  

Changed case only to lower cost

 

changed fans to lower cost

 

use a much faster SSD with twice the capacity

 

To show how much I hate Phantek's decision on not including all the drive cages with the Evolv?

Hey I appreciate your efforts dude!

 

OK look I mean it when I said it took me 100 attempts to come up with a compelling case and the P350X suits my needs. So why does the drive cages bother you? I've heard they were at the front but it's really no big deal isn't it? 

 

Also those case fans, I prefer Phanteks'. It had 3 pounds shipping but at base price it had 30+ more CFM and it's fairly quiet at 19 dB.

 

Doubling the SSD is pointless for me. I don't mind slow boot times. I still have a 500GB SSD at home after switching from a 1TB HDD on my laptop and the performance does not differ at all in gaming except boot times.

 

I plan on storing OS and frequently used applications on the 120GB. The OS (win10 pro 64bit) only takes up 30 GB on the SSD according to Microsoft so the remaining 90GB is plenty to store Firefox, Discord etc. I don't mind if games have long boot times and if it takes too long, I'll take my time and take a dump or drink some water or somethin. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I would buy two cheap Arctic F12/P12 pwm fans and spend the difference on quality psu. Corsair tx550m is +10£ and rm550x +20£.

Another change I would make is the motherboard. Just get an Asrock b450m pro4. It has equal or better vrm and is 20£ cheaper. You can buy a cooler with that or add 10£ to budget and get a 480GB sandisk ssd.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, leon12321 said:

So why does the drive cages bother you? I've heard they were at the front but it's really no big deal isn't it? 

not the P350X's problem, but to show hate to the company for doing that in the Evolv. Oh and also SSD mounts in a position that bends the cables heavily to the point that they might snap.

 

3 hours ago, leon12321 said:

Also those case fans, I prefer Phanteks'. It had 3 pounds shipping but at base price it had 30+ more CFM and it's fairly quiet at 19 dB.

http://www.dvtests.com/ревю-на-phanteks-ph-f120s-white-и-ph-f120s-black/

http://www.dvtests.com/fractal-design-dynamic-gp12-and-gp14-test-and-review/

 

still a bit more noise on the Phanteks though. What I actually want to use at first are the F140MP fans for their higher static pressure, but a fan for the cost of two is just too high when budget is tight.

 

3 hours ago, leon12321 said:

Doubling the SSD is pointless for me. I don't mind slow boot times. I still have a 500GB SSD at home after switching from a 1TB HDD on my laptop and the performance does not differ at all in gaming except boot times.

 

I plan on storing OS and frequently used applications on the 120GB. The OS (win10 pro 64bit) only takes up 30 GB on the SSD according to Microsoft so the remaining 90GB is plenty to store Firefox, Discord etc. I don't mind if games have long boot times and if it takes too long, I'll take my time and take a dump or drink some water or somethin. 

dont forget durability, small capacity SSDs are much worse at that because there are less cells to write to


Studying abroad, ditched the crappy laptop for a do-all laptop double. Dried factory CPU paste, long memory timings, cooler cools the inductors but not the mosfets and an inch of unused internal space on both left and right

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV system agent undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (1696MHz 0.812V ~ 1860MHz 0.95V) RAM: 12GB DDR4-2666 19-19-19-43 2T Storage: 128GB Toshiba NVMe SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) Monitor: 1080p 120Hz IPS G-sync

 

The best thing to do is reading the clock speed that doesnt end in a pair of zeros. Software voltage readings are wrong if your motherboard's not a high end model

CPU: i7-2600K 4493MHz (multiplier: 43x) 1.35V (software) --> 1.4V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 104.5MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 10-11-11-30 2T 2133MHz, custom: 10-11-10-30 1T 2229MHz) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (OC'd 150Hz) TN Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Results: Cinebench R15 Single thread:159 Multi-thread: 770 (thx Meltdown Spectre patch) Super Pi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.11s 1M: 8.4s 32M: 7m 45.9s

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, thinwalrus said:

I would buy two cheap Arctic F12/P12 pwm fans

Nope. It's only 120mm. 140mm fans have a greater advantage over their 120mm counterparts by being quieter, pushes more air and have longer lifespans.

3 hours ago, thinwalrus said:

Corsair tx550m is +10£ and rm550x +20£.

 

The Coolermaster PSU I'm buying has a 5 year warranty and has good reviews.

3 hours ago, thinwalrus said:

Just get an Asrock b450m pro4.

 

Nope, it doesn't support DDR4-3000 memory and it's micro-atx.

3 hours ago, thinwalrus said:

get a 480GB sandisk ssd.

I've already said that having a bigger SSD, for me personally, is unnecessary so I'll be going with a 256 GB ssd instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
27 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

http://www.dvtests.com/ревю-на-phanteks-ph-f120s-white-и-ph-f120s-black/

http://www.dvtests.com/fractal-design-dynamic-gp12-and-gp14-test-and-review/

 

still a bit more noise on the Phanteks though. What I actually want to use at first are the F140MP fans for their higher static pressure, but a fan for the cost of two is just too high when budget is tight.

Alright, you have pretty decent points. I've switched out the Phantek's fans with the ones you've suggested, thanks!

 

27 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

dont forget durability, small capacity SSDs are much worse at that because there are less cells to write to

Wow I did a bit of research on this topic and I'm really surprised, I did not know that. Thanks again, I'll be swapping out my SSD for something larger.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, leon12321 said:

Nope. It's only 120mm. 140mm fans have a greater advantage over their 120mm counterparts by being quieter, pushes more air and have longer lifespans.

 

The Coolermaster PSU I'm buying has a 5 year warranty and has good reviews.

 

Nope, it doesn't support DDR4-3000 memory and it's micro-atx.

I've already said that having a bigger SSD, for me personally, is unnecessary so I'll be going with a 256 GB ssd instead.

Why do you ask for help if you know better? And you dont...

 

You can oc memory with asrock boards too. If you dont need more pcie-slots, you dont need atx. Better off saving a bit or getting a decent cooler for cpu.

Both of those Corsair psus are better longevity wise(made from quality parts), rm550x is a lot better in everything.

140mm fans have longer lifespan? Arctic fans have 5 year warranty so I would trust those over Fractals better branded stuff. 140mm moves more air, but does 120mm move enough air?

 

Plus I just think 50£ 480GB ssd offers better value than a 40£ 250GB one, but what do I know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 hours ago, thinwalrus said:

Why do you ask for help if you know better?

Asking for help doesn't mean agreeing with every suggestion given to me. I have my own thoughts you know.

 

10 hours ago, thinwalrus said:

And you dont...

No need to insult me, I'm just trying to get my words across. My opinions may be incorrect, anyone has the freedom to counterargue my points like you've just done.

 

Anyways, I digress. I've modified my build with a few of your suggestions in mind. You can check it out here...

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/leon12321/saved/7NPRJx

 

I've swapped the ATX Tomahawk motherboard with the Gigabyte B450M DS3H which is much cheaper than the MOBO you've suggested. IT does pretty much everything the ASRock does but much cheaper.

 

I've chosen the Crucial 250GB instead of the Sandisk because...

1. I can trust the company since I have the same model but 500GB version on the computer I'm using right now.

2. https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/SanDisk-SSD-Plus-480GB-vs-Crucial-MX500-250GB/m131770vs3951

3. I don't need a bigger SSD in the first place but if the price of the Crucial gets too high (it's actually starting to increase), I'll choose the Sandick.

 

I've changed the case to a NZXT H500 because...

1. It looks fuckin slick.

2. It includes 4 fans preinstalled already.

 

I've also changed the PSU to the Corsair gold like you've suggested.

 

In total, it turned out cheaper at £649 than the previous build I had but now with better choices, thank you.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×