Clock Divider using a 555 and a 4040 ripple counter?

TrickyWitcher

Does anyone know what would be required, (other than what I listed in the title) to make a clock divider with a base of 100KHz, and an output of 48.828KHz, 1.562KHz, and 761.125Hz? I was tasked with this quite recently, and was told that using a ripple counter would be an effective method. Any ideas?

5 hours ago, TrickyWitcher said:

Does anyone know what would be required, (other than what I listed in the title) to make a clock divider with a base of 100KHz, and an output of 48.828KHz, 1.562KHz, and 761.125Hz? I was tasked with this quite recently, and was told that using a ripple counter would be an effective method. Any ideas?

HI, What you have suggested will work, but I'm afraid you wont be able to get the exact frequencies your looking for. The 555 as an oscillator is not the best choice, Its timing is very inconstant.

codenova.png.dd6d4f2fd4e8788d67fa4208f5ba524e.png

I went ahead and put something together for you, I hope this guides you in the right direction. Sorry if the layout isn't the best, I was trying to make the picture as small as possible.

Vcc is 5vdc, all resistor values should have a tolerance of 0.1%, you could swap the jk-flipflop for a d-type if you wanted. Make sure you double check things before you go building. All parts should be available and in-stock at digikey.

Best of luck.

Edit: you could also drop in some pots to tune the frequency a bit.

14 hours ago, TrickyWitcher said:

The counter can only divide the base clock by a integer. So you cannot get those random values from a 100kHz base clock. You could get 50kHz, or 25kHz, etc...