Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joelw2003

Mechanical Keyboard Choosing.

Recommended Posts

I have the Asus Strix Flare with MX Browns.

Was $130 USD for me off Amazon US. Idk how much they should be in pounds, my search looked to be roughly 159 pounds. If you can stretch your budget a bit, I highly recommend this keyboard.


PCMR

Primary PC: Lazarus | Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tv7hLJ | Build Log: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1000427-lazarus/

Case: Fractal Design Define R6 | PSU: Seasonic Focus Platinum 750W | Mobo: Asus ROG STRIX B350-F | Front Panel: Asus DVD/RW Drive

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x @ Stock Speeds | 32 GB DDR4 RAM (4x8) Corsair Vengeance 2933MHz | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

Storage: 1TB 7200rpm Toshiba 3.5" HDD, 2TB 5400rpm Seagate Firecuda SSHD, 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 860 EVO, 4TB Toshiba X300 7200rpm HDD

Fans: Corsair 120mm SF x 3, Fractal Design 140mm Dynamic X2 x 3 | Peripherals: Asus Strix Flare, Corsair Scimitar Pro | GPU: GTX 1070 STRIX

Expansion Cards: Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card, Asus Xonar DGX | USB devices: Asus AC66 USB 3.0 AC wifi adapter, Blue Snowball, NZXT Hue+

Displays:  23" 1080p 60Hz, Asus PB258Q 27" 1440p 60Hz | OS: Windows 10 Home x64

Secondary PC: Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Gaming 

CPU: Intel Core i5-7300 HQ | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 RAM | GPU: GTX 1050 4 GB | Storage: 1TB 5400rpm Western Digital HDD, 500GB 960 EVO

OS: Windows 10 Home x64

Tertiary PC: *insert name here*/HTPC | Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8W4cLJ | Build Log: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1030228-htpcconsole-build/

Case: Silverstone Grandia GD09 | PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W | Mobo: Asus Q87m-E/CSM | Front Panel: DVD/RW Drive

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k | RAM: 32GB DDR3 (4x8) Kingston HyperX | CPU Cooler: Cryorig C7

Fans: Arctic F8 PWM x2, Arctic F12 PWM x 2 | Peripherals: Generic USB Mouse, Dell PS/2 keyboard | Display: HP 2310m 23" 1080p

Expansion Cards: Asus PCE-AC55 PCIe AC wifi/bluetooth adapter, (may, add Asus Xonar DG)

Storage: 1TB 7200rpm Western Digital 3.5" HDD, 1TB Western Digital 2.5" SSD

GPU: Asus GTX 960 Turbo 4GB| OS: Windows 10 Home x64

Mobile Devices

Asus Zenfone 4 Max | Battery: 5400 mAh | Approx Battery Life: 3 Days | Storage: 32 GB Internal Memory, 32 GB mSD Card

RAM: 3 GB RAM | APU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 @ 1.4 GHZ | Display: 5.5" 720p | OS: Android 8.1

 

Asus ZenPad S3 10 | Battery: 4000 mAh | Approx Battery Life: 2 Days | Storage: 64 GB Internal Memory, 32 GB mSD Card

RAM: 4 GB RAM | CPU: MTK MT8176 | GPU: IMG GX6250 | Display: 9.7" 2k | OS: Android 7.1

Consoles

Nintendo Switch | 128 GB Samsung micro SD

PS4 Slim | Stock 1TB 5400rpm HDD

Networking

Cable Modem | Asus CM-16

Wireless Router | Asus RT-AC66U_B1

Link to post
Share on other sites

The new razer 'Opto-mechanical switches' are the loudest fucking switches i have ever owned, HOWEVER, they feel amazing and i have nothing but praise for the hardware, you can pick up the huntsman (Non-elite) for $150 usd, but im not sure what that translates to.

 

If you want quiet and no key-woblle, Logitech does make ROMER-G switches, however i personally do not like the way they feel.

 

If you don't want either of these, a model M or clone with buckling spring switches will be stable, moderately loud, but they are a blessing to type on.


Current Build

Spoiler

System

  • CPU
    Ryzen 2700x
  • Motherboard
    ASrock x470 Fatal1ty k4
  • RAM
    16GB
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black
  • Case
    Corsair 570x
  • Storage
    480gb SSD
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Smart M 650W 80+ Bronze
  • Display(s)
    27 inch Dell S2716DG
  • Cooling
    Wraith Prism
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 pro
  • Sound
    Beyerdynamic dt770
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 3/14/2019 at 8:43 PM, Emanbaird said:

The new razer 'Opto-mechanical switches' are the loudest fucking switches i have ever owned, HOWEVER, they feel amazing and i have nothing but praise for the hardware, you can pick up the huntsman (Non-elite) for $150 usd, but im not sure what that translates to.

 

If you want quiet and no key-woblle, Logitech does make ROMER-G switches, however i personally do not like the way they feel.

 

If you don't want either of these, a model M or clone with buckling spring switches will be stable, moderately loud, but they are a blessing to type on.

I've heard razer keyboards fail quickly is this the case or have they fixed those issues on newer keyboards?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 1:28 PM, Joelw2003 said:

Currently I've got a corsair k95 platinum with brown switches, the keys wobble quite alot and keycaps are not pbt

Must have brown switches, preferably either full size or tkl is fine but has to be amazon.co.uk because gift balance. max £140

 

Thanks in advance.

Are you experiencing wobble on all keys are just specific ones?  If they are alpha or numeric keys, check to see if the stem on the keycap is damaged.  If so, we can ship out a replacement keycap to you.  Personally, the PBT keycaps are a worthy upgrade, and really provide a premium feel when you type or game.  Let me know, and I can help give you some options of what to do next.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Corsair Nick said:

Are you experiencing wobble on all keys are just specific ones?  If they are alpha or numeric keys, check to see if the stem on the keycap is damaged.  If so, we can ship out a replacement keycap to you.  Personally, the PBT keycaps are a worthy upgrade, and really provide a premium feel when you type or game.  Let me know, and I can help give you some options of what to do next.

Mainly the backspace key and enter key, the main reason I'm considering switching keyboards is because imo a £170 keyboard should come with pbt keycaps by default. otherwise a really nice keyboard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Joelw2003 said:

I've heard razer keyboards fail quickly is this the case or have they fixed those issues on newer keyboards?

I've used most of the razer products, and while i can't say for every product, their keyboards tend to hold up pretty well. I have a blackidow TE from 2014, thats been in my Ex's setup and apparently it still works just fine, and they do heavy OSU so the fact they haven't lost any keys is pretty impressive. 

 

I've had the huntsman elite for almost 5 months now, and no issues other than the keycaps getting glossy, but this may just due to me being greasy lol, i hven't found a good material other than soap and water, and i haven't botherd cleaning it with anything but duster.


Current Build

Spoiler

System

  • CPU
    Ryzen 2700x
  • Motherboard
    ASrock x470 Fatal1ty k4
  • RAM
    16GB
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black
  • Case
    Corsair 570x
  • Storage
    480gb SSD
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Smart M 650W 80+ Bronze
  • Display(s)
    27 inch Dell S2716DG
  • Cooling
    Wraith Prism
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 pro
  • Sound
    Beyerdynamic dt770
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Emanbaird said:

I've used most of the razer products, and while i can't say for every product, their keyboards tend to hold up pretty well. I have a blackidow TE from 2014, thats been in my Ex's setup and apparently it still works just fine, and they do heavy OSU so the fact they haven't lost any keys is pretty impressive. 

 

I've had the huntsman elite for almost 5 months now, and no issues other than the keycaps getting glossy, but this may just due to me being greasy lol, i hven't found a good material other than soap and water, and i haven't botherd cleaning it with anything but duster.

Okay, sounds good will defiantly consider

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Joelw2003 said:

Mainly the backspace key and enter key, the main reason I'm considering switching keyboards is because imo a £170 keyboard should come with pbt keycaps by default. otherwise a really nice keyboard.

Ah ok, those and other larger keys are very different in terms of function because of their size.  All of them utilize stabilizers in addition to the mechanical switch to minimize tilting during actuation.  Pretty much all mechanical switch keyboards will experience the same behavior you mentioned.  I've provided similar feedback to yours to our development team, and the K70 MK.2 SE one example of offering PBT out of the box, but I can't say if this will be come a trend or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

Ah ok, those and other larger keys are very different in terms of function because of their size.  All of them utilize stabilizers in addition to the mechanical switch to minimize tilting during actuation.  Pretty much all mechanical switch keyboards will experience the same behavior you mentioned.  I've provided similar feedback to yours to our development team, and the K70 MK.2 SE one example of offering PBT out of the box, but I can't say if this will be come a trend or not.

I wish the k70 mk2 se had brown/blue switches :( http://prntscr.com/myhafd if the keys had that outer plastic it would reduce wobble (I got another keyboard with outemu blues, little key switch wobble)

Link to post
Share on other sites

actually @Corsair Nick reminds me, if RGB control is important to you they have literally the best software i have ever used. I'm still rocking a k70 RGB (first gen)(reds) in my office machine, and i have never been able to achieve the same amount of customization in the lighting.

 

I own basically every niche/switch type keyboard at least for mainstream manufacturers 


Current Build

Spoiler

System

  • CPU
    Ryzen 2700x
  • Motherboard
    ASrock x470 Fatal1ty k4
  • RAM
    16GB
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black
  • Case
    Corsair 570x
  • Storage
    480gb SSD
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Smart M 650W 80+ Bronze
  • Display(s)
    27 inch Dell S2716DG
  • Cooling
    Wraith Prism
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 pro
  • Sound
    Beyerdynamic dt770
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
55 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

Ah ok, those and other larger keys are very different in terms of function because of their size.  All of them utilize stabilizers in addition to the mechanical switch to minimize tilting during actuation.  Pretty much all mechanical switch keyboards will experience the same behavior you mentioned.  I've provided similar feedback to yours to our development team, and the K70 MK.2 SE one example of offering PBT out of the box, but I can't say if this will be come a trend or not.

I've decided imma keep the k95 platinum brown switches, probably gunna get the pbt key caps though, all around the best atm 6 macros and that sweet rgb and the corsair customer service is A++ the biggest thing that stops be buying razer products is that my Kraken v2 7.1 headphones (returned) were awful quality, and the customer service is meh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 4:46 PM, Joelw2003 said:

I've decided imma keep the k95 platinum brown switches, probably gunna get the pbt key caps though, all around the best atm 6 macros and that sweet rgb and the corsair customer service is A++ the biggest thing that stops be buying razer products is that my Kraken v2 7.1 headphones (returned) were awful quality, and the customer service is meh.

Yeah their current headsets are terrible, basically i would probably only ever use their keyboards, and supposedly their speakers are okay too.


Current Build

Spoiler

System

  • CPU
    Ryzen 2700x
  • Motherboard
    ASrock x470 Fatal1ty k4
  • RAM
    16GB
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black
  • Case
    Corsair 570x
  • Storage
    480gb SSD
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Smart M 650W 80+ Bronze
  • Display(s)
    27 inch Dell S2716DG
  • Cooling
    Wraith Prism
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 pro
  • Sound
    Beyerdynamic dt770
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×