Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jtakla12

Best desktop for 3d work and rendering

Posted · Original PosterOP

Should i go for a dektop with i9 9900k and rtx 2080 for 2800 $or go for a desktop with xeon E5_2640v4 with quadro p4000 for a price of 4000$ 

The i9 has a higher base frequency with a higher boost compared to the xeon who has more cores 

I personaly think that the rtx has a better performance 

What do you think 

What software will you use?

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.7ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
14 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

The answer depends significantly on what software you use.

3dsmax and vray render,  zbrush, photoshop adobe after effect and premiere

2 minutes ago, Jtakla12 said:

3dsmax and vray render,  zbrush, photoshop adobe after effect and premiere

What is stopping you from looking at Threadripper machines in this price range? In my experience with Autodesk software (I used mental ray and Maya, so a bit different perhaps.) In terms of rendering, effective cores and core speeds are going to cut those render times. I haven't ever worked with a machine in this price range outside of college, so this is all theoretical on my end...

If ECC is important, I would probably go with a 1950x, it's a good price and it offers quad channel memory, if you need good single thread performance as well, I'd probably go with a 7980xe if you are liquid enough, or anything under that area, i.e 7820x+

But yeah i agree the TR machine is going to be the best bang for the buck but won't be the best

Current Build

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 2700x
  • Motherboard
    ASrock x470 Fatal1ty k4
  • RAM
    16GB
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black
  • Case
    Corsair 570x
  • Storage
    480gb SSD
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Smart M 650W 80+ Bronze
  • Display(s)
    27 inch Dell S2716DG
  • Cooling
    Wraith Prism
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 pro
  • Sound
    Beyerdynamic dt770
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

15 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

If ECC is important, I would probably go with a 1950x, it's a good price and it offers quad channel memory, if you need good single thread performance as well, I'd probably go with a 7980xe if you are liquid enough, or anything under that area, i.e 7820x+

But yeah i agree the TR machine is going to be the best bang for the buck but won't be the best

But if you had to choose between the 2 options i have woch one would you go for? 

Personally, I would go for a 7980/7920x because i primarily game with some 3d rendering on the side, When delidded and with proper cooling they can technically still get to 5ghz which would be EXTREMELY inefficent compared to lower voltages or threadripper. but would cut render times on an equally threaded processor from AMD but they are both terrible value. 

It really just depends on budget, because the 2700x is the value king for production, as it offers 8c/16t and is around 15%-20% slower than the 9900k but at $200 cheaper. 

The problem i have with threadripper is that an i3 8350k will beat it in most games. making threadripper bad for an all around machine.

I'm not saying it can't game. It just wouldn't be as good as even most low-end options.

I guess TR if you are going to be doing only work on this machine

and i9 79xxx or 9900k if you are going to be gaming too.

Also if you need ECC then TR destroys xeon's 

Current Build

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 2700x
  • Motherboard
    ASrock x470 Fatal1ty k4
  • RAM
    16GB
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black
  • Case
    Corsair 570x
  • Storage
    480gb SSD
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Smart M 650W 80+ Bronze
  • Display(s)
    27 inch Dell S2716DG
  • Cooling
    Wraith Prism
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 pro
  • Sound
    Beyerdynamic dt770
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I used all the software except for Zbrush.

I used mainly i7s with 32 gbs ram. If I was not retired I would just add more ram to the systems I have now.

For 3D work I always used 2 computers. One as a rendering box and one for editing

Autodesk aloud me to have the license on 2 computers so there was no reason not to take advantage of it. This also allowed me to play games on my editing computer while the other rendered. If I needed both to meet a deadline it was the Xbox for me. 

I really like the i9 9900k. With the right motherboard and cooler they run cool even at 5gzs on all cores. With the wrong motherboard and cooler they are a bit of a disaster. 

RIG#1 CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 ti FTW3 ULTRA | PSU: Corsair CORSAIR AX860W | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 ti XC | PSU: Corsair RMx1000W | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB  

17 hours ago, jones177 said:

I used all the software except for Zbrush.

I used mainly i7s with 32 gbs ram. If I was not retired I would just add more ram to the systems I have now.

For 3D work I always used 2 computers. One as a rendering box and one for editing

Autodesk aloud me to have the license on 2 computers so there was no reason not to take advantage of it. This also allowed me to play games on my editing computer while the other rendered. If I needed both to meet a deadline it was the Xbox for me. 

I really like the i9 9900k. With the right motherboard and cooler they run cool even at 5gzs on all cores. With the wrong motherboard and cooler they are a bit of a disaster. 

The mother board is msi mpg z390 gaming plus. Amd the cougar fan case hpb 120 vortex rgb kit x3 fan and msi cooler core frozr l what do you think about that? 

RIG#1 CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 ti FTW3 ULTRA | PSU: Corsair CORSAIR AX860W | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 ti XC | PSU: Corsair RMx1000W | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB