Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 hour ago, truckerlenny said:

i asked to fix problems maybe to improve things not make it worse and cause more problems

I'm just going to be direct when I say this - people don't like it when you talk to them like that.

@Herman Mcpootis, @fasauceome and @LienusLateTips have given you good advice and recommendations already and have made some pretty good build lists for you. 

Here's a build list I've come up with:

Take what I say with a grain of salt, some things may not be correct.

If you're replying to me, make sure to quote me or mention me (@XR6), otherwise I won't see your reply.

Useful links: Community Standards | New PSU Tier List | Posting Guidelines | Motherboard Tier List | Build Guide Megathread | GPU Cooler Tier List | How to set up a Linux PC from start to finish

"1998 Volvo S70 T5 5-speed":

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 126

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Samsung S24D590L

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

Just now, XR6 said:

I'm just going to be direct when I say this - people don't like it when you talk to them like that.

fuck, i've been wanting to say this for 3 years.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Zotac GTX 1070ti Mini RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

fuck, i've been wanting to say this for 3 years.

I've only said it once before on this forum, fortunately (or maybe unfortunately, depends who you ask) there isn't a need to say things like that very often so I usually don't need to be that direct. 

Take what I say with a grain of salt, some things may not be correct.

If you're replying to me, make sure to quote me or mention me (@XR6), otherwise I won't see your reply.

Useful links: Community Standards | New PSU Tier List | Posting Guidelines | Motherboard Tier List | Build Guide Megathread | GPU Cooler Tier List | How to set up a Linux PC from start to finish

"1998 Volvo S70 T5 5-speed":

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 126

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Samsung S24D590L

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

On 3/16/2019 at 12:33 AM, truckerlenny said:

i asked to fix problems maybe to improve things not make it worse and cause more problems

What are you using this PC for? You said you don't game and you haven't really stated a valid reason for splurging on Nvme other than future proofing, which i don't think is a good reason since you don't seem to do things that would require such future proofing.

I think we'd all be better able to help you out if you could let us know what you intend to use this PC for.

On 3/15/2019 at 9:33 PM, truckerlenny said:

And we've shown you ways to improve things, not to make it worse.

If you're going to be a stone wall, why ask here at all?

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire AMD RX VEGA 64 | Define C TG | Corsair CX550M | Cooler Master Hyper 212 BLACK RGB

Pacific Spirit XT (CPU signed by Dennis!) (Planned)

Intel Core™ i7-4720HQ (Taobao Special) | Asus Q87M | 8GB Kingston DDR3-1333 | MSI Radeon R7 370 2GB

Laptop (Legion Y7000)

Spoiler

i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 3.0 | Don't buy the S12II/M12II | Avoid the EVGA G3

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Posted · Original PosterOP
On 3/18/2019 at 12:35 PM, celerystruct said:

What are you using this PC for? You said you don't game and you haven't really stated a valid reason for splurging on Nvme other than future proofing, which i don't think is a good reason since you don't seem to do things that would require such future proofing.

I think we'd all be better able to help you out if you could let us know what you intend to use this PC for.

i just want the fastest possible pc for 2000-2200 canadian delivered to my door. specifically a 9700k i believe would fit in that category, something like a 1660ti, nvme, my last pc was a labtop which is about 5 years old and im just wanting a upgrade now so the hope is that with a new pc i can hold out for another few years as well or be able to upgrade a couple parts but not the whole thing all at once. 

On 3/16/2019 at 1:34 AM, XR6 said:

lol i forgot thermal compound

thanks everyone for the input i will make some adjustments and go from there. does anyone know if a 9700k and a 1660ti is somewhat of a good match or is one gonna way over bottleneck the other.

On 3/14/2019 at 11:32 AM, seoz said:

That is a bad choice in cooling especially for an i7-9700K. Surely you can go for something a bit more premium such as a be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4?

i was concerned that maybe the dark rock pro 4 would cause issues around ram height not sure hard to tell from pictures

On 3/14/2019 at 11:32 AM, seoz said:

That is a bad choice in cooling especially for an i7-9700K. Surely you can go for something a bit more premium such as a be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4?

from my knowledge the dark rock pro 4 and the case i want has height issues

3 hours ago, truckerlenny said:

lol i forgot thermal compound

Don't need it: comes with the cooler.

3 hours ago, truckerlenny said:

thanks everyone for the input i will make some adjustments and go from there. does anyone know if a 9700k and a 1660ti is somewhat of a good match or is one gonna way over bottleneck the other.

The Vega 56 is cheaper in Canada; buy it over the 1660 Ti

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire AMD RX VEGA 64 | Define C TG | Corsair CX550M | Cooler Master Hyper 212 BLACK RGB

Pacific Spirit XT (CPU signed by Dennis!) (Planned)

Intel Core™ i7-4720HQ (Taobao Special) | Asus Q87M | 8GB Kingston DDR3-1333 | MSI Radeon R7 370 2GB

Laptop (Legion Y7000)

Spoiler

i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 3.0 | Don't buy the S12II/M12II | Avoid the EVGA G3

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

On 3/14/2019 at 11:23 AM, truckerlenny said:

Here's what I'd recommend:

The 9700K is overkill for both the 1660Ti and the 2060, especially if targeting 60 FPS. The 9600K is the better pairing for either of those GPUs which saves you enough money to step up to the RTX 2060. For any Z390 board, I recommend Gigabyte over everyone else right now. They offer more robust VRMs, even on their lowest priced board, the Z390 UD. I've put together a few builds using the 9600K paired with the Z390 UD and all of them were able to get to stable 5.0GHz without any throttling and without the VRMs overheating. I went with the 1TB NVME drive because the budget allowed for it and it's a better experience than having 2 500GB drives. I stepped you up to the RTX 2060. I went with a better tower that offers better overall airflow. Finally, I went with a tier 1 PSU, which is a nice step up from what you had. Hope this helps!

On 3/14/2019 at 12:36 PM, fasauceome said:

If you're only gaming on the PC NVMe is useless to you. Do you have another use case?

Depends on the game. Some games can shave 1-2 seconds off the load time. That might not sound like a lot, but if the game loads a lot, that's minutes of your life saved per playthrough.