PC Build

1 hour ago, truckerlenny said:

i asked to fix problems maybe to improve things not make it worse and cause more problems

I'm just going to be direct when I say this - people don't like it when you talk to them like that.

@Herman Mcpootis, @fasauceome and @LienusLateTips have given you good advice and recommendations already and have made some pretty good build lists for you. 

Here's a build list I've come up with:

Just now, XR6 said:

I'm just going to be direct when I say this - people don't like it when you talk to them like that.

fuck, i've been wanting to say this for 3 years.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

fuck, i've been wanting to say this for 3 years.

I've only said it once before on this forum, fortunately (or maybe unfortunately, depends who you ask) there isn't a need to say things like that very often so I usually don't need to be that direct. 

On 3/16/2019 at 12:33 AM, truckerlenny said:

i asked to fix problems maybe to improve things not make it worse and cause more problems

What are you using this PC for? You said you don't game and you haven't really stated a valid reason for splurging on Nvme other than future proofing, which i don't think is a good reason since you don't seem to do things that would require such future proofing.

I think we'd all be better able to help you out if you could let us know what you intend to use this PC for.

On 3/15/2019 at 9:33 PM, truckerlenny said:

And we've shown you ways to improve things, not to make it worse.

If you're going to be a stone wall, why ask here at all?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

On 3/18/2019 at 12:35 PM, celerystruct said:

What are you using this PC for? You said you don't game and you haven't really stated a valid reason for splurging on Nvme other than future proofing, which i don't think is a good reason since you don't seem to do things that would require such future proofing.

I think we'd all be better able to help you out if you could let us know what you intend to use this PC for.

i just want the fastest possible pc for 2000-2200 canadian delivered to my door. specifically a 9700k i believe would fit in that category, something like a 1660ti, nvme, my last pc was a labtop which is about 5 years old and im just wanting a upgrade now so the hope is that with a new pc i can hold out for another few years as well or be able to upgrade a couple parts but not the whole thing all at once. 

On 3/16/2019 at 1:34 AM, XR6 said:

lol i forgot thermal compound

thanks everyone for the input i will make some adjustments and go from there. does anyone know if a 9700k and a 1660ti is somewhat of a good match or is one gonna way over bottleneck the other.

On 3/14/2019 at 11:32 AM, seoz said:

That is a bad choice in cooling especially for an i7-9700K. Surely you can go for something a bit more premium such as a be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4?

i was concerned that maybe the dark rock pro 4 would cause issues around ram height not sure hard to tell from pictures

On 3/14/2019 at 11:32 AM, seoz said:

That is a bad choice in cooling especially for an i7-9700K. Surely you can go for something a bit more premium such as a be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4?

from my knowledge the dark rock pro 4 and the case i want has height issues

3 hours ago, truckerlenny said:

lol i forgot thermal compound

Don't need it: comes with the cooler.

3 hours ago, truckerlenny said:

thanks everyone for the input i will make some adjustments and go from there. does anyone know if a 9700k and a 1660ti is somewhat of a good match or is one gonna way over bottleneck the other.

The Vega 56 is cheaper in Canada; buy it over the 1660 Ti

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

On 3/14/2019 at 11:23 AM, truckerlenny said:

Here's what I'd recommend:

The 9700K is overkill for both the 1660Ti and the 2060, especially if targeting 60 FPS. The 9600K is the better pairing for either of those GPUs which saves you enough money to step up to the RTX 2060. For any Z390 board, I recommend Gigabyte over everyone else right now. They offer more robust VRMs, even on their lowest priced board, the Z390 UD. I've put together a few builds using the 9600K paired with the Z390 UD and all of them were able to get to stable 5.0GHz without any throttling and without the VRMs overheating. I went with the 1TB NVME drive because the budget allowed for it and it's a better experience than having 2 500GB drives. I stepped you up to the RTX 2060. I went with a better tower that offers better overall airflow. Finally, I went with a tier 1 PSU, which is a nice step up from what you had. Hope this helps!

On 3/14/2019 at 12:36 PM, fasauceome said:

If you're only gaming on the PC NVMe is useless to you. Do you have another use case?

Depends on the game. Some games can shave 1-2 seconds off the load time. That might not sound like a lot, but if the game loads a lot, that's minutes of your life saved per playthrough.