Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShredAgain

I want a keyboard that sounds like the Ornata Chroma, but don't want a membrane keyboard again.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So for a while, I've been playing and typing with a Rosewill Apollo with a red backlight and clicky tactile switches. So I ran across an ASMR video where the ASMRtist was typing on a few different keyboards, and the Razer Ornata Chroma was one of them. I fell in love with the sound, but I'm wondering if there is a mechanical equivalent in sound. RGB is a bonus, because I'm trying an Orange AORUS theme in my rig. I'll take any suggestions. And if anyone owns the keyboard they recommend, I'd love to get an audio clip of some typing on the switches. Thanks in advance!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ShredAgain said:

So for a while, I've been playing and typing with a Rosewill Apollo with a red backlight and clicky tactile switches. So I ran across an ASMR video where the ASMRtist was typing on a few different keyboards, and the Razer Ornata Chroma was one of them. I fell in love with the sound, but I'm wondering if there is a mechanical equivalent in sound. RGB is a bonus, because I'm trying an Orange AORUS theme in my rig. I'll take any suggestions. And if anyone owns the keyboard they recommend, I'd love to get an audio clip of some typing on the switches. Thanks in advance!

well dont just focus on just the sound. each switch does something different,so just because it sounds great it does not feel 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Pashtet.Ey said:

well dont just focus on just the sound. each switch does something different,so just because it sounds great it does not feel 

It's not so much the feel I'm worried about. I've tried quite a few clicky switches, and I haven't really found any I don't like the feel of. I like the satisfying click, but I don't like the thunk of key caps hitting a backplate. Ideally I'd have the incredible click of the Ornata Chroma, with RGB backlighting, but a nice, tactile clicky mechanical switch instead of membrane. Hence why I posted about the sound I'm looking for, not the feel.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds kind of like a more rattly version of the clicky Kailh Box switches. Check out the Box White, Jade and Pink. 


 

Quote

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

 

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 3/14/2019 at 7:04 AM, seon123 said:

It sounds kind of like a more rattly version of the clicky Kailh Box switches. Check out the Box White, Jade and Pink. 

So, I absolutely love the Box Navy's click, by I can't find an RGB motherboard with those switches preassembled. And I don't exactly have enough/any experience to build my own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 3/14/2019 at 10:24 AM, b emoji said:

Matias Click/Quiet Click would be the closest I think, since they both use click leafs. 

I like the Matias Clicks. They're nice and crisp. Motherboards with them seem to be either expensive, or tend to be 60% or less.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ShredAgain said:

So, I absolutely love the Box Navy's click, by I can't find an RGB motherboard with those switches preassembled. And I don't exactly have enough/any experience to build my own.

All you have to do is simple through hole soldering. It's the simplest kind, even I didn't have issues. 

Alternatively, get a hot swappable keyboard or PCB. Check out the GMMK, Massdrop Alt/Ctrl, and GK64. Or some others on KBDFans. You can buy the switches from Novelkeys or KBDFans. 


 

Quote

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

 

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 7:10 AM, seon123 said:

All you have to do is simple through hole soldering. It's the simplest kind, even I didn't have issues. 

Alternatively, get a hot swappable keyboard or PCB. Check out the GMMK, Massdrop Alt/Ctrl, and GK64. Or some others on KBDFans. You can buy the switches from Novelkeys or KBDFans. 

I second this. Get one of these in which ever size you like. There are three available Full,TKL, and 60%. And then add some these Kailh BOX Navys.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×