I want a keyboard that sounds like the Ornata Chroma, but don't want a membrane keyboard again.

Go to solution Solved by geo3,
On 3/16/2019 at 7:10 AM, seon123 said:

All you have to do is simple through hole soldering. It's the simplest kind, even I didn't have issues. 

Alternatively, get a hot swappable keyboard or PCB. Check out the GMMK, Massdrop Alt/Ctrl, and GK64. Or some others on KBDFans. You can buy the switches from Novelkeys or KBDFans. 

I second this. Get one of these in which ever size you like. There are three available Full,TKL, and 60%. And then add some these Kailh BOX Navys.

So for a while, I've been playing and typing with a Rosewill Apollo with a red backlight and clicky tactile switches. So I ran across an ASMR video where the ASMRtist was typing on a few different keyboards, and the Razer Ornata Chroma was one of them. I fell in love with the sound, but I'm wondering if there is a mechanical equivalent in sound. RGB is a bonus, because I'm trying an Orange AORUS theme in my rig. I'll take any suggestions. And if anyone owns the keyboard they recommend, I'd love to get an audio clip of some typing on the switches. Thanks in advance!

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2GHz

Cooler Master ML240R A-RGB

Gigabyte X470 AORUS Gaming 5 WiFi

16GB V-Color Skywalker PRISM RGB @ 3.0GHz

Gigabyte GTX 1070ti 8GB G1 Gaming OC

In Win 101c Black

In Win Sirius Loop A-RGB x6

Cougar CMX1000 1,000 Watt 80+ Bronze Semi-Modular

15 minutes ago, ShredAgain said:

So for a while, I've been playing and typing with a Rosewill Apollo with a red backlight and clicky tactile switches. So I ran across an ASMR video where the ASMRtist was typing on a few different keyboards, and the Razer Ornata Chroma was one of them. I fell in love with the sound, but I'm wondering if there is a mechanical equivalent in sound. RGB is a bonus, because I'm trying an Orange AORUS theme in my rig. I'll take any suggestions. And if anyone owns the keyboard they recommend, I'd love to get an audio clip of some typing on the switches. Thanks in advance!

well dont just focus on just the sound. each switch does something different,so just because it sounds great it does not feel 

1 hour ago, Pashtet.Ey said:

well dont just focus on just the sound. each switch does something different,so just because it sounds great it does not feel 

It's not so much the feel I'm worried about. I've tried quite a few clicky switches, and I haven't really found any I don't like the feel of. I like the satisfying click, but I don't like the thunk of key caps hitting a backplate. Ideally I'd have the incredible click of the Ornata Chroma, with RGB backlighting, but a nice, tactile clicky mechanical switch instead of membrane. Hence why I posted about the sound I'm looking for, not the feel.

In Win 101c Black

It sounds kind of like a more rattly version of the clicky Kailh Box switches. Check out the Box White, Jade and Pink. 

:)

Matias Click/Quiet Click would be the closest I think, since they both use click leafs. 

On 3/14/2019 at 7:04 AM, seon123 said:

It sounds kind of like a more rattly version of the clicky Kailh Box switches. Check out the Box White, Jade and Pink. 

So, I absolutely love the Box Navy's click, by I can't find an RGB motherboard with those switches preassembled. And I don't exactly have enough/any experience to build my own.

In Win 101c Black

On 3/14/2019 at 10:24 AM, b emoji said:

Matias Click/Quiet Click would be the closest I think, since they both use click leafs. 

I like the Matias Clicks. They're nice and crisp. Motherboards with them seem to be either expensive, or tend to be 60% or less.

In Win 101c Black

3 minutes ago, ShredAgain said:

So, I absolutely love the Box Navy's click, by I can't find an RGB motherboard with those switches preassembled. And I don't exactly have enough/any experience to build my own.

All you have to do is simple through hole soldering. It's the simplest kind, even I didn't have issues. 

Alternatively, get a hot swappable keyboard or PCB. Check out the GMMK, Massdrop Alt/Ctrl, and GK64. Or some others on KBDFans. You can buy the switches from Novelkeys or KBDFans. 

:)

On 3/16/2019 at 7:10 AM, seon123 said:

I second this. Get one of these in which ever size you like. There are three available Full,TKL, and 60%. And then add some these Kailh BOX Navys.