Chrome to add duckduckgo as search option

Sources: Techcrunch, Tweakers

Google is going to give Chrome users in 60 countries the option to choose duckduckgo as their default search engine, replacing vinden.nl for the Netherlands and Belgium. the change will be made in chrome 73.

Techcrunch:

In an update to the chromium engine, which underpins Google's popular Chrome browser, the search giant has quietly updated the lists of default search engines it offers per market expanding the choice of search product users can pick from in markets around the world.  But in a note about the changes to chromium’s default search engine lists on an Github instance, Google software engineer Orin Jaworski merely writes that the list of search engine references per country is being “completely replaced based on new usage statistics” from “recently collected data.”

DDG has been added in Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brunei, Bolivia, Brazil, Belize, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Germany, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Faroe Islands, Finland, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, Ireland, India, Iceland, Italy, Jamaica, Kuwait, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Moldova, Macedonia, Mexico, Nicaragua, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Puerto Rico, Portugal, Paraguay, Romania, Serbia, Sweden, Slovenia, Slovakia, El Salvador, Trinidad and Tobago, South Africa, Switzerland, U.K., Uruguay, U.S. and Venezuela.

Why would you use Chrome in the first place with it lol? You go with DuckDuckGo for a reason and then still having Google data hoarding thing behind, you may just as well just stay with Google search anyway lol

Go with Firefox and first thing after install, you flip the search engine to DuckDuckGo and then delete all others. Done deal.

Just now, RejZoR said:

Why would you use Chrome in the first place with it lol? You go with DuckDuckGo for a reason and then still having Google data hoarding thing behind, you may just as well just stay with Google search anyway lol

Go with Firefox and first thing after install, you flip the search engine to DuckDuckGo and then delete all others. Done deal.

i mean... firefox is still better imo, but it's a weird, yet good idea that google at least gives the option

Odd move? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

42 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I guess it's more aiming for people who want searching result that aren't biased to what they've been doing online, instead of privacy? But it's definitely a weird move. The only reason I could think of using it is for people trying to get information from new sources instead of having the same few sites always in the top result.

9 minutes ago, BananaInSandals said:

I guess it's more aiming for people who want searching result that aren't biased to what they've been doing online, instead of privacy? But it's definitely a weird move. The only reason I could think of using it is for people trying to get information from new sources instead of having the same few sites always in the top result.

yes, except most of those don't even use chrome anymore...

40 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Odd move? 

yes

I thought you can add whatever search engine you want as your default in whatever browser you use.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Just now, Hiya! said:

I thought you can add whatever search engine you want as your default in whatever browser you use.

you can

but now google is actually providing the option on default

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

you can

but now google is actually providing the option on default

Well that's..kinda pointless and at the same time smell fishy..and i am sure its not fish.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

no

it's a duck

That's a dad joke..promise me it won't happen again..

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Odd move? 

If "someone" knew the Chrome flag coming into the search server, it could be useful for a moderate tracking layer compared to an explicit one. Other little detail is Search or even Beacon tracking is too well known at this point, so a lot of systems (that get popular) are building in counter-measures. As we're in a massive move into Mobile and a new generation of Edge Server equipment, they don't really need it anymore.

As for Google's end, it just a sign that a lot of people manually move to DDG. Been using DDG for a long while now and the short answer is the search results are better than most modern Google Searches. It's kind of sad we're already into the "back in my day..." stuff with Internet content, but the quality of Google Search has been on a hard decline for a decade. It really did use to be a lot better, as a result DDG or even Bing are so similar that it doesn't matter. 

Just now, firelighter487 said:

that is already there, for as long as i can remember... 

@LukeSavenije it was always there in settings. since like forever. 

sources indicate otherwise, but i never saw it

you sure that isn't firefox?

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

sources indicate otherwise, but i never saw it

you sure that isn't firefox?

go to chrome, settings, search engine and click it. there are a lot of options, including duckdukgo. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

go to chrome, settings, search engine and click it. there are a lot of options, including duckdukgo. 

for me it isn't...

image.png.2fee978dc4b2f12af1ae39e0522a3353.png

it's always been there for me lmao, on Windows, Linux and macOS. always. 

then i don't know what it is, but my chrome doesn't include it

maybe you manually added it with sync?

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

then i don't know what it is, but my chrome doesn't include it

maybe you manually added it with sync?

maybe. or because my systems are set to use english as the main language. they all have the netherlands set as region though. 

She/Her

maybe. or because my systems are set to use english as the main language. they all have the netherlands set as region though. 

but soon it's going to be a standard anyways, so nothing to worry about here

But imagine putting DDG into chromium itself so that all new distributions will have it.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

If "someone" knew the Chrome flag coming into the search server, it could be useful for a moderate tracking layer compared to an explicit one. Other little detail is Search or even Beacon tracking is too well known at this point, so a lot of systems (that get popular) are building in counter-measures. As we're in a massive move into Mobile and a new generation of Edge Server equipment, they don't really need it anymore.

As for Google's end, it just a sign that a lot of people manually move to DDG. Been using DDG for a long while now and the short answer is the search results are better than most modern Google Searches. It's kind of sad we're already into the "back in my day..." stuff with Internet content, but the quality of Google Search has been on a hard decline for a decade. It really did use to be a lot better, as a result DDG or even Bing are so similar that it doesn't matter. 

What really annoyed me was when you said to someone "search for term X" in Google and the 3rd result is what you're looking for. And the guy had entirely different 3rd result. Which is just stupid. This could simplify so many things, but it just made it worse coz having to send someone full URL instead of telling what search result is the right one is a bit counter productive.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

What really annoyed me was when you said to someone "search for term X" in Google and the 3rd result is what you're looking for. And the guy had entirely different 3rd result. Which is just stupid. This could simplify so many things, but it just made it worse coz having to send someone full URL instead of telling what search result is the right one is a bit counter productive.

Wait, what?

Why would you tell someone "search for XYZ in Google and then click the third result" when you obviously already went through all those step yourself, and could easily just send the link?

That seems counter productive to me, to tell someone to redo all the steps you have already done.

38 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Wait, what?

Why would you tell someone "search for XYZ in Google and then click the third result" when you obviously already went through all those step yourself, and could easily just send the link?

That seems counter productive to me, to tell someone to redo all the steps you have already done.

Because voice communications totally can take links you know. Especially those super long ones. Or do you prefer narrating super stupid long URL's letter by letter via voice communication like, I don't know, phone? If I've gone through the steps, that doesn't mean the person on the other end has. And if search results are the same for everyone, you can actually do that. With Google, it was total fuckery because the results weren't even the same for different people...