Dissenter - The comment section of the internet - And a severe game-changer for free speech

Ruckus42

I'm hoping this might get discussed on The WAN show at some point.

Dissenter allows you to comment on any web page, anywhere, anytime, regardless. So if you think turning off comments on your YouTube video is effective, it's not.

This follows closely behind the WAN Show topic of pedos commenting timestamps on videos of kids. Now, I'm no fan of this practice (understatement of the year), but free speech just got a shot in the arm, for better or worse.

Dissenter is made by Gab.com, which is known for their right-leaning libertarian political stance. However, unlike Twitter, they won't ban you for your political views. They don't care if you offend someone. They just want free speech protected, something other big platforms don't seem too concerned with. Illegal content is not allowed, for obvious reasons, but that's it.

Main site:

https://dissenter.com/

I personally trust Tim Pool to cover this kind of thing:

"When I was on the Joe Rogan podcast with Jack Dorsey, he mentioned that there was a woman from the Westborough Baptist Church who was de-radicalized because she was on twitter and was exposed to other people. [W]hen you have comments sections people can communicate with each other. Someone might be a Trump supporter and someone might say they hate Trump, but then they interact and they realize the other person's not that bad."

https://dailycaller.com/2019/03/12/dissenter-app-lets-users-comment-freely/

“Dissenter launches at a time when comment sections are no longer available on every mainstream news site and blog, YouTube is shutting down comment sections while also demonetizing channels over their comment sections and social media censorship is the worst it has ever been”

Edited by Ruckus42
Quotes added

Agreed. It's a social network open to everyone. If you want it to lean further left, get a bunch of lefties signed up.

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

really wish people would stop using "far-right" as a way to discredit everything.

Well, that's what happens when you convince everyone that if someone has a different political ideology to you, they should be automatically discredited no matter how possibly valid their statement is.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

And you should ban them from your platform for disagreeing with you. Oh, but what's this? Now you can't? BOOM!

2 minutes ago, Ruckus42 said:

And you should ban them from your platform for disagreeing with you. Oh, but what's this? Now you can't? BOOM!

lol I wouldn't exactly call it exploiting the internet, more social engineering. Lots of dirty laundry that people leave behind.

Not sure I understand what you mean. A comment platform is social engineering? Dirty laundry? Xplan plz.

Just now, Ruckus42 said:

Not sure I understand what you mean. A comment platform is social engineering? Dirty laundry? Xplan plz.

my mistake, thought you were somebody else, the lack of sleep is getting to me.

14 minutes ago, Arika S said:

really wish people would stop using "far-right" as a way to discredit everything.

russian bot confirmed 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, CodeNova said:

the lack of sleep is getting to me.

Sleeeeep

I want to know, have any of you heard of Dissenter before now? Have you installed it? There are side chats happening on a lot of YouTube videos, twitter feeds, etc. For example, in the video I linked in the OP. I can even comment on this page. And LTT can't stop it. I could say ANYTHING. But I won't because I'm nice like that.

8 minutes ago, Ruckus42 said:

I want to know, have any of you heard of Dissenter before now? Have you installed it? There are side chats happening on a lot of YouTube videos, twitter feeds, etc. For example, in the video I linked in the OP. I can even comment on this page. And LTT can't stop it. I could say ANYTHING. But I won't because I'm nice like that.

This software is a great idea and won’t end badly at all don’t worry

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

This software is a great idea and won’t end badly at all don’t worry

Damn right it will. And that's very interesting to me.

2 minutes ago, Ruckus42 said:

Damn right it will. And that's very interesting to me.

Sorry should have said /s

Just now, floofer said:

Sorry should have said /s

Adequately inferred.

37 minutes ago, Arika S said:

You sound like a commie lefty

/s

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

"Wa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pow!"

This reminded me of part of an incredibly bad yet hilarious song by Rucka Rucka Ali...

Spoiler

This really needs spoilers to protect your sensitivities.

Spoiler

Like really, turn back now if you're easily offended or otherwise have an "unagreeable" nature

Spoiler

This is my last warning, turn back now if you don't want to be offended

Spoiler

Plz don't ban me mods ?

Spoiler

It's time stamped to the portion of the song it reminded me of...don't really want to embed it so you can just click the link like a grownup.

https://youtu.be/JGNwEvhNsjk?t=44

11 minutes ago, Ruckus42 said:

That's not how it works, from what I can see. You're commenting over on Dissenter on their platform, no one here would see it and likely wouldn't care either. I don't care about what people say on twitter or facebook as I don't use either, if I did I wouldn't care either unless the comments were directed to me about me then I exercise my right of reply.

People on the internet can rant about whatever they like it doesn't effect me, not unless they come to my house and yell at me directly. That's the trick to the internet, you can actually ignore people. I do however believe that moderation is required and situations of law breaking, incites to violence etc be dealt with as necessary, I also have zero time for the 'slippery slope' argument. Because again if you're not happy with how moderation is being done, you can move on.

Most people have reasonable common sense, can identify actual problematic issues and sort out situations with proper care. There just needs to be less bending over to the loud minority and trusting your own judgement. 

Also this isn't really tech news so it's likely going to be moved to general discussion. I would move it myself but I wanted to comment on this topic.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

I give you the song of my people.  That's where it came from.

Yep that is what it's a parody of xD

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Also this isn't really tech news so it's likely going to be moved to general discussion. I would move it myself but I wanted to comment on this topic.

Does commenting on a topic prohibit you from moving it?