Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
just that pc guy

Won't Boot to OS

Posted · Original PosterOP

ok so i have a dell optiplex 780, when i recently started it up it started doing auto repair, its not working, i go into bios and do system check and a disk error pops up, please if you know what the problem is tell me, i will send pics of the error if you need them its just really really urgent

Just now, just that pc guy said:

ok so i have a dell optiplex 780, when i recently started it up it started doing auto repair, its not working, i go into bios and do system check and a disk error pops up, please if you know what the problem is tell me, i will send pics of the error if you need them its just really really urgent

also when starting windows i forgot to mention i can hear the hard disk turn off and then turn on again and then windows wont load

3 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

do system check and a disk error pops up, please if you know what the problem is tell me

It's your hard disk, as noted by the error warning that is telling you that it is your hard disk.

i can hear the hard disk turn off and then turn on again and then windows wont load

Your HDD is dead/dying. Time to get yourself one of those fancy SSDs.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

It's your hard disk, as noted by the error warning that is telling you that it is your hard disk.

Your HDD is dead/dying. Time to get yourself one of those fancy SSDs.

but it was working perfect before and had nothing wrong with it... how???

HDD's often die quickly like that.

Main PC: i5-8600K (6C/6T), MSI Z370M, T-Force Delta II RGB 16GB, Samsung 128GB NVME, Crutial MX300, ROG STRIX RX-580 8GB, Corsair CX 750, Fractal Define Mini C TG, Windows 10 Enterprise

School Laptop: Late 2008 Macbook Aluminum Unibody. C2D P7350, nVidia 9800M, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS Mojave. Also my editing laptop (FCP > Adobe Premier)

Phone: Galaxy Note 8, Android 8.0

Random devices in various stages of working: Gateway Solo W2000 Laptop (For writing floppies, needs a battery), iBook G3 Clamshell (for a custom build, just a case), iBook G4 (For Sale.), Surface 3 (Touch screen is borked, perfect otherwise.), Lenovo G580 (For Sale)

Welcome to the land of hard drives, where they can go tits up for no reason whatsoever.

Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 8GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wireless card, Windows 7 Pro x64

Main PC: sleeper Dell on profile boi

Zeus: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, 30GB DiamondMax Plus 8 + 80GB IBM DeskStar, Windows XP Pro SP3

On 2/26/2019 at 2:37 AM, campy said:

when my girlfriend comes over and sees my dining room and kitchen counters covered in pc parts from pre 2006 she immediately takes off her clothes

nothing sexual, she just doesnt want the nerd dust on her clothes 

Hard disk drives are mechanical, meaning that they experience wear-and-tear over time.  Usually, a persistent ticking noise will occur before the drive dies.  How old was it?

I have a G7 and it's DELLicious!!!

| Logitech Fanboy | #RiseUpAgainstRazer | #MacsAreGoodComputersToo

Meet Hex, my hexacore laptop!

i7-8750H  (6c/12t)
GTX 1060 Max-Q 6GB

16GB DDR4-2666

256GB Toshiba M.2 SATA (boot)

1TB 860 EVO SATA III (storage)

1080p IPS 60Hz display

also in use...

Logitech G603 wireless gaming mouse

Logitech G930 wireless gaming headset

Other tech: iPhone SE, Logitech G203 Prodigy, Cooler Master Devastator II (just the keyboard), Sennheiser HD4.40BT

1 minute ago, Techstorm970 said:

Hard disk drives are mechanical, meaning that they experience wear-and-tear over time.  Usually, a persistent ticking noise will occur before the drive dies.  How old was it?

around maybe 2010

1 minute ago, just that pc guy said:

around maybe 2010

What brand? WD, Seagate, Toshiba, something else?

CPU:AMD A4-3400|Motherboard:Asus F1A55-M LE R2.0|Memory:G.Skill NS and  Kingston(combo) 4GB DDR3-1333|Storage 1:WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD|Storage 2:WD Black 1TB HDD|Case:Foxconn TS-001|Samsung DVD-RW|OS:MS W7(64-bit)

segate

9 year old seagate drive? Yeah. I'd buy it's dead.

Main PC: i5-8600K (6C/6T), MSI Z370M, T-Force Delta II RGB 16GB, Samsung 128GB NVME, Crutial MX300, ROG STRIX RX-580 8GB, Corsair CX 750, Fractal Define Mini C TG, Windows 10 Enterprise

School Laptop: Late 2008 Macbook Aluminum Unibody. C2D P7350, nVidia 9800M, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS Mojave. Also my editing laptop (FCP > Adobe Premier)

Random devices in various stages of working: Gateway Solo W2000 Laptop (For writing floppies, needs a battery), iBook G3 Clamshell (for a custom build, just a case), iBook G4 (For Sale.), Surface 3 (Touch screen is borked, perfect otherwise.), Lenovo G580 (For Sale)

Just now, SenpaiKaplan said:

9 year old seagate drive? Yeah. I'd buy it's dead.

idk if that is the problem now that im looking at it, what the erroe says is for srttrail.txt in sys32

Just now, just that pc guy said:

idk if that is the problem now that im looking at it, what the erroe says is for srttrail.txt in sys32

Try reinstalling Windows. But, a file error tells me the HDD is going and unable to read data properly.

2 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Try reinstalling Windows. But, a file error tells me the HDD is going and unable to read data properly.

il try but god i hope it works, i cant afford a new hdd rn

il try but god i hope it works, i cant afford a new hdd rn

Really, even 30 bucks 500GB  HDD?

CPU:AMD A4-3400|Motherboard:Asus F1A55-M LE R2.0|Memory:G.Skill NS and  Kingston(combo) 4GB DDR3-1333|Storage 1:WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD|Storage 2:WD Black 1TB HDD|Case:Foxconn TS-001|Samsung DVD-RW|OS:MS W7(64-bit)

2 minutes ago, JoshB2084 said:

Really, even 30 bucks 500GB  HDD?

Might sound like fantasy to u but not everyone has $30 on their pockets to spend in a hard drive.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

Might sound like fantasy to u but not everyone has $30 on their pockets to spend in a hard drive.

thats true also im reinstalling windows right now if that doesnt work that i am screwed

2 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

I'm sorry, @just that pc guy. That's bit annoy. Go ahead to asking anything, We helping you.

You in the USA? Pay shipping and I can mail you a 160GB 2.5" laptop hard drive that works. It's too old/small/slow to be of any use to me anymore. I can send it formatted NTFS ready to go for a Windows installation. If you're outside the US then shipping won't make this offer viable, sorry.

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

You in the USA? Pay shipping and I can mail you a 160GB 2.5" laptop hard drive that works. It's too old/small/slow to be of any use to me anymore. I can send it formatted NTFS ready to go for a Windows installation. If you're outside the US then shipping won't make this offer viable, sorry. 

i am in the us and you dont have to do that, i know that theres more to this hard drive story than i know, i defrag every day and it always shows as 0% or atleast 3%, and then when i plug my laptop hard drive into my desktop because its acting funny to do some checkups, and now they both are broken, i have a feeling that it could be some unwanted software

Alright, well PM me if you end up needing it. It's just running Linux in the basement, nothing I can't re-allocate a different hard drive to do.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Alright, well PM me if you end up needing it. It's just running Linux in the basement, nothing I can't re-allocate a different hard drive to do.

ok, right now my desktop is reinstalling windows and my laptop finally recongnized that it needs to fix disks errors, god why didnt i replace my hard drives before

Hard drive failures can be spontaneous or they can be a long slow decline toward failure, any thing can fail like that. I've had all different kinds of PC hardware fail over the years, I think that's part of why I have so many spare/old parts laying around now.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Hard drive failures can be spontaneous or they can be a long slow decline toward failure, any thing can fail like that. I've had all different kinds of PC hardware fail over the years, I think that's part of why I have so many spare/old parts laying around now. 

that seems reasonable but just incase heres the error info

WP_20190313_21_09_25_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20190313_21_09_44_Pro[1].jpg

Well, google the error codes and see what turns up as likely problems or check the Dell website to see if they have definitions for those error codes. Dell has really good documentation most of the time, I really like working with Dell stuff just for that reason.

Also a more descriptive thread title sure can help.