For a video card, can I insert a 6-pin plug into the 8-pin slot?

Go to solution Solved by Alexandru Costache,

Well, I did it. It works without any problem. Thank you all anyway. :D

IMG_20190318_023205_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190318_023430.jpg

I recently got a Sapphire RX 570 Nitro+ 4GB video card. Its declared maximum consumption is 195W. The card has two power inputs: one main, 8-pin (or 6+2), and a secondary (and optional) 6-pin for overclocking. The PCIe slot provides 75W, the 8-pin plug provides 150W, and the 6-pin plug provides 75W. But only the 8-pin cable is required to pass the 195W limit (75 + 150 = 225W, over 195). On the other hand, my source does not have an 8-pin (or 6+2) plug. Since it is physically compatible, can I insert a 6-pin plug into the 8-pin slot and have the second plug in the secondary slot? (Because 75+75+75=again, 225W)

Update: As of June 2021 it worked without any issue.

If your power supply doesn't have an 8 pin/ 6+2 pin then you should probably upgrade it before you cause a housefire.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Alexandru Costache said:

I recently got a Sapphire RX 570 Nitro+ 4GB video card. Its declared maximum consumption is 195W. The card has two power inputs, one main, 8-pin, and a 6-pin secondary for overclocking. The PCIe slot provides 75W, the 8-pin plug provides 150W, and the 6-pin plug provides 75W. On the other hand, my source does not have an 8-pin plug. Since it is physically compatible, can I insert a 6-pin plug into the 8-pin slot and have the second plug in the secondary slot?

You could TECHNICALLY do it, but I don't recommend that you do, because it will probably cause damage to your graphics card, even if it works. As @Alexandru Costache said, you should probably just buy another power supply. I recommend that you use https://pcpartpicker.com/ to find a power supply that has all of the connectors you need, and can supply enough power.

7 minutes ago, averagebilly said:

You could TECHNICALLY do it, but I don't recommend that you do, because it will probably cause damage to your graphics card, even if it works. As @Alexandru Costache said, you should probably just buy another power supply. I recommend that you use https://pcpartpicker.com/ to find a power supply that has all of the connectors you need, and can supply enough power.

The source offers 650W, I do not think that's the problem. The question is different: Will accept the 8-pin, 150W slot a 6-pin cable, 75W? 

Check the edited question btw.

Most GPU's will not accept 6 pins if it is expecting 8 pins,  There were a few GPU's that could do this (were designed to do so)but this was over a decade ago.

You can do this, what will happen is computer will turn on and you will get a message telling you to plug in GPU PCI-Express power.

If you're confident the PSU can handle it you can buy a 6 pin to 6+2 pin adapter.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

2 minutes ago, Snipergod87 said:

Most GPU's will not accept 6 pins if it is expecting 8 pins,  There were a few GPU's that could do this (were designed to do so)but this was over a decade ago.

You can do this, what will happen is computer will turn on and you will get a message telling you to plug in GPU PCI-Express power.

Basically, if the card does not accept it, all it can get is an underpowered video card that will refuse to do the job until it receives what it needs?

Give it more time...

Don't be afraid to let us know if it failed in any way afterwards...

Or doesn't.... which would be ideal :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

It runs smoothly in games & stuff. According to Sapphire (more specifically, their online public relations representatives), it was not known whether or not the card is accepting a 6-pin cable in the 8-pin slot. To me, it seemed logical and obvious to accept 2x6pin whenever the power exceeds the consumption of the video card anyway. I doubt I will have any issues while I'm not overclocking. 

image.png

• 2 years later...

As an update, if anyone gives a f*, it worked just well, with no issues. Maybe, just maybe, as someone suggested, the GPU may not actually achieve fully potential but my results in gaming are similar with those obtained by other people, thanks youtube. It still is the setup that I am currently using.

Thanks y'all for your suggestions. 🙂

10 hours ago, Alexandru Costache said:

As an update, if anyone gives a f*, it worked just well, with no issues. Maybe, just maybe, as someone suggested, the GPU may not actually achieve fully potential but my results in gaming are similar with those obtained by other people, thanks youtube. It still is the setup that I am currently using.

Thanks y'all for your suggestions. 🙂

What psu was it even? Odd that nobody asked for it. Probably also could just be you lucked out massively :p. Not uncommon for that to happen.