Large Thermal Mass Rocks for Sketchy Heatsinks

ortizimo

hi guys...just watched a sketchy heatsink episode and was thinking why not us a think slice of rock with a large thermal mass as a heatsink to see if it works. just wondering...thnx.

3 minutes ago, ortizimo said:

hi guys...just watched a sketchy heatsink episode and was thinking why not us a think slice of rock with a large thermal mass as a heatsink to see if it works. just wondering...thnx.

It'll have poor surface area, so it'll be harder to cool. You don't want a "thermal battery" in a cooling system, you want to dump heat as efficiently as possible.

EDIT: If you meant "thin" then still a similar issue and I don't think rocks have nearly as much thermal conductivity as metal.

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

It has poor surface area, so it'll be harder to cool. You don't want a "thermal battery" in a cooling system, you want to dump heat as efficiently as possible.

right and as I understand, rocks like marble feel cool to the touch because it draws heat away from your hand even when hot outside...thinking about that and possible cutting a piece of it would be for a bit of science experiment as all tests like in sketchy heatsink. seeing their heatsinks in those episode cannot be as bad as doing something with LTM rocks.

Please look up what thermal conductivity is.

For a rock it is hundreds of times worse than metal.

Thermal mass is irrelevant.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

22 hours ago, ortizimo said:

right and as I understand, rocks like marble feel cool to the touch because it draws heat away from your hand even when hot outside...thinking about that and possible cutting a piece of it would be for a bit of science experiment as all tests like in sketchy heatsink. seeing their heatsinks in those episode cannot be as bad as doing something with LTM rocks.

The reason why it feels cool is because rocks take long time to heat up, and cool down. Though marble isn't best in that field. Diabase is one of better ones, usually used in sauna stoves. Another good one is talc-alcaline metamorphic rocks, often used in fireplaces. Both store heat and release it slowly. For heatsink use you don't want anything that stores heat. You want something that moves heat away from CPU and then dissipates it as quickly as possible.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv