Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ortizimo

KY Jelly Cooled PC

Posted · Original PosterOP

When I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan, I took some courses with the Marines Corps Communication-Electronics School (I was Air Force). During a course the instructor told us that KY jelly was invented by NASA to cool off their rockets, shuttles, etc... I cannot find any information to confirm that, but since I've seen you guys build mineral oil and liquid rigs why not test KY jelly and see if it works!

I've never heard that one before.

KY jelly was originally made for surgical purposes in the early 1900's.

It's basically just glycerine and glycol. If thinned It would probably make for a pretty mediocre coolant compared to water and may not function at all in any loop just due to its viscosity if not thinned.

Pro tip, before you reply to an question or topic, answer these three questions:

1) Do I actually have an answer for OP at all?

2) Am I giving an answer that is based in multiple reliable source tests and not personal opinion or heresay?

3) Is my answer on topic, clear and concise?

If you answered "no" to any of those, close the tab.

Do not give people information you personally think is correct. Source, research and then reply. If you plain and simple don't know what you're talking about, don't talk about it. It's harmful to support questions on forums to be providing people with wrong or misleading information. As well as going off topic from the original question.

i.e. "What B360 motherboard should I buy?"

>someone replies with a PC partpicker list with a ryzen system

Not what was asked.

what in the world 

i dont think so 

mineral oil works because it has a high heat capacity, like water 

Ky jelly would be too viscous to cause turbulence, and thus heat transfer would be abominable 

PC: Alienware 15 R3 , Cpu: 7700hq (repasted with kryonaut) , GPu : 1070 OC to 1822 Mhz , Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz 

6 minutes ago, ortizimo said:

When I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan, I took some courses with the Marines Corps Communication-Electronics School (I was Air Force). During a course the instructor told us that KY jelly was invented by NASA to cool off their rockets, shuttles, etc... I cannot find any information to confirm that, but since I've seen you guys build mineral oil and liquid rigs why not test KY jelly and see if it works!

your instructor lied to you, sorry

also based on some rough google searches, it seems, it was used for high temperature lubrication, and not cooling per say

PC: Alienware 15 R3 , Cpu: 7700hq (repasted with kryonaut) , GPu : 1070 OC to 1822 Mhz , Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz 

Posted · Original PosterOP
25 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

what in the world 

i dont think so 

mineral oil works because it has a high heat capacity, like water 

Ky jelly would be too viscous to cause turbulence, and thus heat transfer would be abominable 

once heated the product becomes less viscous...its thick because its in a bottle at room temperature and not even that...its always at store A/C temp. additionally, there are other types of the same product that are more liquid. besides, the episode Chilling Threadripper 2, Linus used Rain-X to chill a CPU...it contains among other things glycerine and glycol.

3 hours ago, ortizimo said:

once heated the product becomes less viscous...its thick because its in a bottle at room temperature and not even that...its always at store A/C temp. additionally, there are other types of the same product that are more liquid. besides, the episode Chilling Threadripper 2, Linus used Rain-X to chill a CPU...it contains among other things glycerine and glycol.

yeah sure but again its not as viscous, even if  the viscosity changes to a usable amount at like 60-80 Celsius ,what advantage does it give over water

the reason linus uses rain x is because it works well at low temperatures 

I enjoy coating my rocket in KY jelly prior to liftoff.

Sabre - i7-8086K - MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X - AsRock Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming K6 - 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466 RGB - 250GB Western Digital Black M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 - 1TB Inland Professional SSD - 960GB SanDisk Ultra II - 4TB Seagate Barracuda - Corsair RM650i - Fractal Design Meshify C White TG - Noctua NH-C14S

Senketsu - i7-6700T - Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB Windforce - Gigabyte GA-B150N Phoenix - 16GB Team Elite DDR4-2400 - 240GB Crucial M500 - Silverstone SF450 - Enermax Steelwing Red - Rosewill RCX-Z300

Hypnotoad - i7-6700 - ASUS Dual GTX 1060 3GB - AsRock Z170AX1/3.1 - 12GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 - 128GB Samsung 850 Pro - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - Corsair CX550M - DIYPC DIY-J21-BK RGB case - Cooler Master Hyper T4 - Aigo RGB fans - RGB strip - Unicorn vomit

The Little Pentium That Could - Pentium G3258 - MSI GTX 1050 Ti LP - ASUS H81M-C - 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1600 - 480GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD - Silverstone SF450 - Athenatech A100BB - Arctic Alpine 11 Plus - Spunk