New to Custom Loop, being paranoid

Hey everyone!

I have been building custom PC's for the past 12 years now and my personal computer has been neglected.

I plan on updating it here before the year is done, and I want the beauty and challenge of doing a custom loop. I have all of the basics down and now what exactly to look for and also what to do.

But being the anxious and paranoid person I am, I don't want my investment to turn into two investments because I got a wrong part, used wrong fluid, etc.

My biggest worry right now is fluid. I have a Thermaltake View 71 Snow and plan to have the Asus Maximus XI Formula, to keep with a black and white build base. I was previously looking at the PrimoChill Vue, but after reading reviews both by LTT, JayzTwoCents, and many others, I no longer want it.

So my question is what is a great brand to use? I want a colored loop but want clear loops so if I do want to change colors, simple fluid change not a reconfigure of the loop.

Thanks for taking a look and helping! 

Vue is a very short-term fluid. It has very high maintenance requirements, as i'm sure you know. It's essentially a showpiece/convention fluid, very flashy for a very short period of time.

Personally, I use the X1 line from Mayhems. It's entirely plausible to use regular distilled water with a few drops of PT Nuke however. It's largely your choice.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

9 minutes ago, Semper said:

Vue is a very short-term fluid. It has very high maintenance requirements, as i'm sure you know. It's essentially a showpiece/convention fluid, very flashy for a very short period of time.

Personally, I use the X1 line from Mayhems. It's entirely plausible to use regular distilled water with a few drops of PT Nuke however. It's largely your choice.

I gathered that it was a short term fluid. I plan on having it maybe a clean every 8ish months 12 months at the long end. I do know distilled is best as it is only water, duh. But I would like some flash so I can brag about it haha.

Thinking of running water to see how I like it and move onto another fluid if I don't.

How often do you have to clean the X1 and any problems?

12 minutes ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

I gathered that it was a short term fluid. I plan on having it maybe a clean every 8ish months 12 months at the long end. I do know distilled is best as it is only water, duh. But I would like some flash so I can brag about it haha.

Thinking of running water to see how I like it and move onto another fluid if I don't.

How often do you have to clean the X1 and any problems?

I believe the recommended is once every year, but to be totally honest, I don't rightly know full stop for certain. I've never had an issue with anything i've ever used from Mayhems, though my go-to for tubing is Primoflex over Mayhems Flex. I've found Primoflex tube the clearest and remain so for the longest. I don't have experience with hardline/rigid yet.

I do mine every six months (give or take, I don't keep absolute perfect track of it) because it's habit at this point.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

9 minutes ago, Semper said:

I believe the recommended is once every year, but to be totally honest, I don't rightly know full stop for certain. I've never had an issue with anything i've ever used from Mayhems, though my go-to for tubing is Primoflex over Mayhems Flex. I've found Primoflex tube the clearest and remain so for the longest. I don't have experience with hardline/rigid yet.

I do mine every six months (give or take, I don't keep absolute perfect track of it) because it's habit at this point.

Got it. Thanks for your input!

Yeah, Mayhems is pretty much the best for fluids. I also agree with the primochill tubing, absolutely amazing. For blocks, you can´t go wrong with EKWB, but there are some other great brands, for example Watercool. Reservoirs are kind of the same at everyone, of course, some acrylic is bit better etc. etc. But mostly it does the job alright, again can´t go wrong with the popular brands. I personally don´t like Thermaltake, they´re bad. Mixed metals, their fluid just gunks up everything... Alphacool radiators are probably the best you can get. Fittings-Bitspower, EKWB,XSPC. Bykski is probably a good cheap alternative to those brands I mentioned. Haven´t used it but I´ve only heard good opinions. Also if you don´t mind cooling just the CPU, there are kits that offer (almost) everything you need. The only thing to buy is the ball valve, a splitter and an extender. I recommend guides from JayzTwoCents and Linus.

1 minute ago, brunostejskal said:

Yeah, Mayhems is pretty much the best for fluids. I also agree with the primochill tubing, absolutely amazing. For blocks, you can´t go wrong with EKWB, but there are some other great brands, for example Watercool. Reservoirs are kind of the same at everyone, of course, some acrylic is bit better etc. etc. But mostly it does the job alright, again can´t go wrong with the popular brands. I personally don´t like Thermaltake, they´re bad. Mixed metals, their fluid just gunks up everything... Alphacool radiators are probably the best you can get. Fittings-Bitspower, EKWB,XSPC. Bykski is probably a good cheap alternative to those brands I mentioned. Haven´t used it but I´ve only heard good opinions. Also if you don´t mind cooling just the CPU, there are kits that offer (almost) everything you need. The only thing to buy is the ball valve, a splitter and an extender. I recommend guides from JayzTwoCents and Linus.

So far have the blocks, pumps, tubing, and reservoirs from EK. Rads, fittings, and misc fittings from Primochill. Black rads with white or black fittings, or a mix, still up in the air.

I will not do Thermaltake anything cooling other than fans. I intend to do a full loop of both cpu and current one gpu. I also have a drain port in mind as I've watched all of Jay's and LTT videos on it.

I just want some more flash from the fluid side and the one fluid I had in mind, Vue, apparently sucks so trying to find alternative fluids that add flare haha.

Thanks for all the help bruno!

1 minute ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

So far have the blocks, pumps, tubing, and reservoirs from EK. Rads, fittings, and misc fittings from Primochill. Black rads with white or black fittings, or a mix, still up in the air.

I will not do Thermaltake anything cooling other than fans. I intend to do a full loop of both cpu and current one gpu. I also have a drain port in mind as I've watched all of Jay's and LTT videos on it.

I just want some more flash from the fluid side and the one fluid I had in mind, Vue, apparently sucks so trying to find alternative fluids that add flare haha.

Thanks for all the help bruno!

Nice part choice! Good luck on your loop!

Just now, brunostejskal said:

Nice part choice! Good luck on your loop!

Thanks! About to drop about 5k on this new set up. Hoping the fluid doesn't kill it ?

1 minute ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

Thanks! About to drop about 5k on this new set up. Hoping the fluid doesn't kill it ?

Don´t be afraid if you take Mayhems, I had it a few times and it has never done anything. And flush your radiator with distilled water before assembling, that should help, too.

Just now, brunostejskal said:

Don´t be afraid if you take Mayhems, I had it a few times and it has never done anything.

Cool, Thanks!

13 minutes ago, brunostejskal said:

Wait, are you actually gonna watercool that FX 8370 ?

YES! lol not at all.

New build is this: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/cheezectv563/saved/Vw8D23

Disregard the case, the WD 250gb SSD, one of the 2TB HDD, and the 2 ML120's.

Those are for this old system in the case which I am gifting to a friend.

With fancy fluids you get into the territory of rocket science water cooling.

As far as I know, there are ways to make them work long term. At least Mayhems Pastel - I've heard of multiple users having them last 2-3 years with no maintenance.

My experience on the other hand was heavy sedimentation after a few days of not using the PC, horrible effect.

Still to this day I don't have a clue of how to make it work or how not to do things. Nobody has an idea about it, and if they do, they don't talk about it.

Imho, stick to clear simple fluids that just work. Focus on learning about the rest of the watercooling experience.