Why is AMD the Budget Option for Gamers?

this is the most clickbait of clickbait titles. it's nothing more than a way to get people to click on the video to leave a comment about how stupid the statement is, i doubt all the commentors even watched the video. get it together LTT

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Hmmmmm

/s

Omg I laughed too hard at that

10 hours ago, GabenJr said:

I really don't know where some people are getting the idea that we're saying AMD is for poor people or that it's a worse value than Intel or that you should run out and buy an Intel CPU over AMD. We point out that for gaming - A workload that AMD is perceived to be worse at than Intel - the difference is not worth stressing over, and we point out that you can get more out of the platform for the same price as Intel.

If that says to you "AMD sux buy Intel", then I don't know what to tell you.

Oh, so it's one of those titles that falls under the 'Betteridge's law of headlines', meaning it can be answered with 'no'..?

I appreciate you being active on this forum thread, answering some of the questions present, so I do want to thank you for that. I know many others would just hide from the feedback and I am glad you are responding seriously to the users here.

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

this is the most clickbait of clickbait titles. it's nothing more than a way to get people to click on the video to leave a comment about how stupid the statement is, i doubt all the commentors even watched the video. get it together LTT

I am sure a lot of people won't watch the video, just because of the title. Although the video itself is really well made (well, other than some.. 'issues' addressed by others in this thread).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

Statement? What statement? There is no statement in the title, just an question

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Is AMD for Poor People? Well, yes, yes it is. But it's also for everyone else as well.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 hours ago, Frank6262 said:

But I am always afraid to buy AMD because of missing CPU features (AVX, MMX, VT-d,...)

What? AMD does have AVX and AMD's equivalent for VT-d is AMD-Vi.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

13 hours ago, Minibois said:

I hate this title.

I don't...

Well, I do not particularly like it but I get where they are coming from and why they did it.

This just feels needlessly clickbait.

Yeah, that was the intent ;)
Clickbait was what made some companys big. And also you might get the one or the other Intel Fan to click on the video.

It's now "Is AMD for poor people?" while you could have made a much more honest and interesting title by calling the video something like "Is AMD the budget option? A look at Intel vs. AMD budget value" or something similar.

That is a much more honest and straight to the point title.

Yeah, but maybe 10-20% less clicks. That's a lot of money :)

And especially the Intel Fans wouldn't click on the Video.

Separate from the title, I felt the video was neat, I liked it. More PC builds, especially in these type of price ranges please!

I can agree with that.

More "Challange" type videos with other people of the team would be nice, whatever is their speciality.

Maybe get Leadeater in front of the cam and let him do some Storage Videos :D

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

ok, put the title aside, and admit thats terrible heading.

it could be amd vs nvidia  or intel or snapdragon etc

in the video, they got USD750 to represent budget for "poor people". ...wtf?

I would estimate that should be $400~500 or even console gaming for the TRUE poor 

$750 could already get some beast of components

the rules (to be fair) are even more ridiculous 

both sys can OC , who care OC if you are really "poor"

1 tb storage , but no ssd in 2019?

bot picks used nvidia and not mentioning any AMD gpus.........

3 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

bot picks used nvidia and not mentioning any AMD gpus

Well, they wanted a gaming-PC, not a room-heater.

11 hours ago, GabenJr said:

3. Yes, I did use single channel memory for testing the Intel build. Dual channel would have made a difference, yes, but it wouldn't have pushed performance by more than a couple of percentage points.

hm...

Please tell me you did benchmarks with dual channel to come to that conclusion because there's a ton of benchmarks out there that prove there's big gains when you go with Dual over Single. I mean almost everybody advises Dual over Single.

edit:

I mean c'mon it's painfully obvious there are gains

Wasn't even a poor man's budget.

What a Waste of an idea. Seriously.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

11 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

However, if you are aiming for 144hz+, unlocked Intel + a strong graphics card is the only way to go.

The only way to go? I think you are overestimating the gap between Ryzen and Intel.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

7 minutes ago, Nocte said:

The only way to go? I think you are overestimating the gap between Ryzen and Intel.

If u haven't figured it out yet Ryzen is bottlenecking the 2060. Also Intel would be even further ahead if they used dual channel on the intel systems.

edit: Look what happens when the i5-8400 ( at 3.8ghz aswell ) is running in dual channel and with 3000mhz ram on a Z board

1 minute ago, Mahoney said:

If u haven't figured it out yet Ryzen is bottlenecking the 2060. Also Intel would be even further ahead if they used dual channel on the intel systems.

I like how you use "even further ahed" as if 1% ahead is already a big change. Enjoy your extra 2 fps at the cost of multi-tasking and upgradability /s.

And no, the 2600 doesn't bottleneck the 2060 in most games at 1080p. In some games it does, just like how in some CPU heavy games a 8400 will bottleneck the 2060.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

2 minutes ago, Nocte said:

I like how you use "even further ahed" as if 1% ahead is already a big change. Enjoy your extra 2 fps at the cost of multi-tasking and upgradability /s.

And no, the 2600 doesn't bottleneck the 2060 in most games at 1080p. In some games it does, just like how in some CPU heavy games a 8400 will bottleneck the 2060.

Look what happens when the i5-8400 ( at 3.8ghz aswell ) is running in dual channel and with 3000mhz ram on a Z board

edit: Now compared it to Linus with the 2060 there's like 3fps difference but thats because the Intel is being bottlenecked first by the single channel ram and and second by the 2666mhz ram

Just now, Mahoney said:

Look what happens when the i5-8400 ( at 3.8ghz aswell ) is running in dual channel and with 3000mhz ram on a Z board

That wasn't even what I was talking about beforehand.

You didn't address any of the comments I made.

A 1 game sample is not enough to support your statement.

Unraid Server

10 minutes ago, Nocte said:

That wasn't even what I was talking about beforehand.

You didn't address any of the comments I made.

A 1 game sample is not enough to support your statement.

You do realize that Ryzen will bottleneck gpu's sooner than Intel?

Look at the Tech Deals video about the RTX Series

Do you see whats happening? That cpu isn't even a year old

Far Cry 5

8600k 4.3 vs 2600x 4.2 with the 1070 which is a bottleneck yet does seem to be the case with AMD

@GabenJr I noticed you mounted a Corsair AIO in the video, is this also the cooler you used for the testing? I think the stock cooler supplied with the AMD chip can form quite a bottleneck when overclocking, which you now removed by mounting a cooler that's almost as expensive as the CPU itself. 

Gotta love black+yellow

To be honest it's quite a toxic title for the video, I think it makes people who run "inferior" tech feel pretty bad

I know all these tech channels (and I do love LTT) are ultimately sponsored because they encourage people to spend money but it could be a bit more subtle...

Monitor: Alienware AW2518HF CPU: 9900K @ 5.1GHz Heatsink: 2x360MM Custom Loop GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO RAM: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 2x8GB 4400Mhz Mobo: Asus Maximus XI Gene Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 PSU: Corsair RM1000x Storage: Seagate Firecuda 510 2TB M.2, Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB M.2

32 minutes ago, Mahoney said:

You do realize that Ryzen will bottleneck gpu's sooner than Intel?

That's a logical fallacy right there. First, you said that it was already bottlenecking the 2060, now you are saying it will eventually bottleneck it sooner?

You are just proving my point that it depends on the game. As it depends on how well a game is optimised for multi-core CPUs (which will also determine which CPU will bottleneck first, but I digress).

You are also not mentioning anything about upgradability which was one of my points. I'm probably going to buy Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) once it gets released, and I won't have to replace any of my components but for my CPU. Even if the rumours of Zen 2 beating Intel at single-core performance are not true (which seems unlikely imo), you can rest assured that those CPU will be way more than enough for high-framerate monitors (not surprising since my 1600 already is and I have 2 144Hz monitors).

Unraid Server

1 hour ago, Nocte said:

It's also the best way to experience WoW.

Even after 8.1 DX12, my wife's 3.8ghz 1600 will drop into the 50s (with only 40% GPU load) where my 5ghz 8700 and son's 4.9ghz 8350k only drop into the 70s in the same raid. Outside questing fps meaningless, because the only time either system bogs down is during raids/busy areas.

Beyond those specific use cases, where single threaded performance is king:

In terms of 1080p medium settings, which is what you are going to be using on. 144 or 240 display, Intel unlocked 7/8/9 gen (4c/8t or higher) is generally a lot better, as proven by numerous benchmarks across the internet, which is as much as 30%.

If you're playing at 1440p 144, the advantage is less apparent because most GPUs still can't push 144 at that resolution anyway. Ryen makes a whole lot of sense in those scenarios and any refresh below 100. 

So I still stand by my statement.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, Mahoney said:

Bottlenecking is one of the biggest "fearmongering" talking point in PC-build/gaming. 

bottlenecking is highly dependant on game and resolution, and just about every game the GPU take precident over the CPU. which is why its prefferably to spend extra on the GPU over the CPU. 

Ryzen remains cost effective in a build up untill the 1200-1400$ mark. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Bottlenecking is one of the biggest "fearmongering" talking point in PC-build/gaming. 

bottlenecking is highly dependant on game and resolution, and just about every game the GPU take precident over the CPU. which is why its prefferably to spend extra on the GPU over the CPU. 

Ryzen remains cost effective in a build up untill the 1200-1400$ mark. 

100% agree, I think allot of people read things and just paraphrase it without understanding the content

Monitor: Alienware AW2518HF CPU: 9900K @ 5.1GHz Heatsink: 2x360MM Custom Loop GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO RAM: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 2x8GB 4400Mhz Mobo: Asus Maximus XI Gene Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 PSU: Corsair RM1000x Storage: Seagate Firecuda 510 2TB M.2, Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB M.2

4 minutes ago, remus243 said:

100% agree, I think allot of people read things and just paraphrase it without understanding the content

Im halfway concerned people havent watched the actual vid.

But everything has its pricepoint placement. But some overlap with other better options, hence them taking priority when suggesting builds. 

Which have lead to AMD holding a firm grasp in 1200$ or below budget build. Up to around 1400$ where they honestly are not great choices. 

That is also the pricpoint you should question if you can wait for new releases in the near future. If the new releases are worth it at all based on current info. 

I know over a dousin people waiting for Zen 2 instead of spending all they have atm, because they have the option to do so