Just Started Going to the Gym

kotf

Just started going to the gym for the first time in my life today. I'm 19, 183cm tall and weigh about 55kg so im pretty thin. Today we worked on chest and think we are doing legs tomorrow not sure.

Any people here workout? Got any tips for lifting weights, diets for making gains etc?

• Sabertooth Z77
  • Intel i7 3770k
  • EVGA FTW GTX 670
  • 16 GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz RAM
  • 1TB WD Black HDD
  • 250gb Intel 520 Series SSD
  • Corsair AX750 PSU

protein...lots of protein.

What I generally do, the names probably aren't all right, mostly what I call them...

Day 1:

Leg Warm Up / Cardio

Leg Extensions

4 sets of 12

Squats

4 sets of 10

Lunges

3 sets of 20

Leg Curls

4 sets of 10

Day 2:

Flat Bench

4 sets of 10

Incline Press

4 sets of 10

Decline Press

4 sets of 10

Fly Press

4 sets of 12

Day 3:

Lat Pull

4 sets of 12

Sitted Row

4 sets of 12

"Starting the lawn mower"

4 sets of 12

Reverse Grip Lat Pull

4 sets of 12

Day 4:

Dumbbell Curls

4 sets of 12

Cable Curls

4 sets of 12

Reverse Grip Curl

4 sets of 12

Triceps Extension (w/ rope)

4 sets of 12

Dips

4 sets of 8

Overhead Extensions (w/ rope)

4 sets of 10

Day 5:

Barbell ("Pull your pants up") to your neck

4 sets of 10

Military Press

4 sets of 12

Dumbbell Fly's (Arms @ L)

4 sets of 10

Bent over fly (Rear deltoids)

4 sets of 10

Calf raises

4 sets of 20

Crunches (w/ ball)

3 sets of 30

Creatine (LOTS OF WATER)

Fish Oil / Flax Seed Oil

Carbs -- 1.5 hours before work out

Protein -- Immediately following workout

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

protein...lots of protein.

What I generally do, the names probably aren't all right, mostly what I call them...

Day 1:

Leg Warm Up / Cardio

Leg Extensions

4 sets of 12

Squats

4 sets of 10

Lunges

3 sets of 20

Leg Curls

4 sets of 10

Day 2:

Flat Bench

4 sets of 10

Incline Press

4 sets of 10

Decline Press

4 sets of 10

Fly Press

4 sets of 12

Day 3:

Lat Pull

4 sets of 12

Sitted Row

4 sets of 12

"Starting the lawn mower"

4 sets of 12

Reverse Grip Lat Pull

4 sets of 12

Day 4:

Dumbbell Curls

4 sets of 12

Cable Curls

4 sets of 12

Reverse Grip Curl

4 sets of 12

Triceps Extension (w/ rope)

4 sets of 12

Dips

4 sets of 8

Overhead Extensions (w/ rope)

4 sets of 10

Day 5:

Barbell ("Pull your pants up") to your neck

4 sets of 10

Military Press

4 sets of 12

Dumbbell Fly's (Arms @ L)

4 sets of 10

Bent over fly (Rear deltoids)

4 sets of 10

Calf raises

4 sets of 20

Crunches (w/ ball)

3 sets of 30

Creatine (LOTS OF WATER)

Fish Oil / Flax Seed Oil

Carbs -- 1.5 hours before work out

Protein -- Immediately following workout

Sorry for the spacing. Copied it from notepad. Not sure why it adds the spacing. :(

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Check out Michael Kory Fitness on the YouTubes.

Honor First!

www.bodybuilding.com - great website, there is also tons of articles to choose from which provide information on workout routines, exercises, food nutrition and etc.

for my diet plan i personally use www.myfitnesspal.com - easy to plan out your diet with their nutrition database.

Don't forget your stretches! My girlfriend's a Physiotherapist and she wont let me hear the end of it whenever I forget. Depending on what you want to aim for... Less resistance+More reps= Enduarnce focus, More resistance+Less reps(for obvious reasons...)= Strength focus

i started going about 6 months ago. im 6 2 and used to weigh 245. i weigh about 200 right now. Now im starting to lift more and gain muscle.

I work-out 2 days a week with a focus on getting lean and staying fit. I'm 5'6, about 160 with a body fat percentage within 20-23%, aiming to be 145 with 17 or lower percentage.

Day 1

- Squats 3 sets(12,10,10)

- Rows

- Leg press " "

- Bench press " "

- Crunches " "

- Dumbbell curls " "

- 30 min cardio

Day 2

- Any mix of the above, except lunges instead of leg press

- 30 min cardio

My diet is pretty balanced and I don't use any protein shakes or anything of the sort.

Nutrition:

Men: 66.5 + (13.75 x kg) + (5.003 x cm (height)) - (6.775 x age)

Women: 655.1 + (9.563 x kg) + (1.850 x cm (height)) - (4.676 x age)

Do this equation and you will come up with your BEE (how much you calories you need when you resting (in a coma)). Then you multiply this number with your activity on a scale 1.2 - 2.0. 1.2 is a day in front of the computer doing nothing and 2.0 is a VERY active day, maby working out 2 times a day and walking to every that day.

​ Example Me: Men: 66.5 + (13.75 x 90) + (5.003 x 183 (height)) - (6.775 x 19) = 2281. Then i multiply 2281 * 1,4 = 3193,4.

When you got the final number you eat less calories then this and you will lose weight and if you eat more you will gain weight. THAT IS 100% TRUE. what isn't 100% true is this equation and can diff a little bit, but it gives you a little humm about how much you should eat. A good guideline is to subtract or add 500 calories depending on your goal. Whats easiest to do is weighing everything you eat to know how much calories it's in it. When you hit your calorie goal you should have 2 gram protein per kilogram of body weight, 0.5 grams of fat per kilogram of body weight.

Calories = Kcal

Protein = 4Kcal

Carbohydrates = 4Kcal

Fat = 9Kcal

Training:

For training i would recommend a 4 day slit: (look up exercise on youtube, build you workout around heavy compound movement)

First day = legs, abs.

Secound day = chest, triceps.

Third day = back, biceps.

Fourth day = shoulders.

Fifth day = repeat.

take rest days when you feel that you need.

Supplements:

YOU NEVER NEED SUPPLEMENTS! but... it can be good to have protein powder if you having problem getting you 2 gram per kilogram of body weight, if you not having problem then no need for it.

a supplement that can give you a little boost it creatine but don't expect to much.

I am a competitive gymnast and have competed at national and international events, I train for over 20 hours per week and about ¼ of my training is weight training. Through my years I have learned a couple key components of working out that are essential. Eating right, keeping hydrated and staying motivated are among the most important. Something else to consider when trying to get an optimal experience out of your workout is that it is highly important that you vary your exercises. When trying to build muscle, lose weight or even just keep active you need to change the circuits that you do each day of the week so that you can properly work each muscle group. One last thing to think about is that if you are going to the gym for the first time you need to start off relatively slow until you are able to communicate with your body and find out when you have done “enough†for one day.

I know that many people have different views on how to properly work out, as they are entitled to, This is just my two cents worth on the topic.

I hope this was useful in some way, shape or form, Best of luck in your endeavor to achieve personal fitness.

-Ging

If you want to build muscle mass it's best to do heavy weights (example: if you can curl 20lbs comfortably with straining yourself like your arm is going to snap try 30lbs if that's to much do 25) and keep the reps low like 6-8 and sets high like 5-7. As for tone it is the opposite do your normal weights with high reps 12+ with lower sets 3-4.