I have some questions about my internet.

Crisg789

So I live here in Los Angeles and spectrum is my internet provider. I just upgraded my internet to 1gigabit speed. So I asked if I can buy my own modem to extend my wifi range because the new one doesnt reach alot of areas in my house. But they said they don't allow any other other modems besides theres for 1 gigabit speed at the moment. Before i used netgear range extenders n i was barely getting 1 bar for my ring doorbell and my cameras inside my garage. Anyways I wanna ask is it bullshit what they said about them not allowing other modems? If so what other options do I have for better range on my wifi. Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, Crisg789 said:

So I live here in Los Angeles and spectrum is my internet provider. I just upgraded my internet to 1gigabit speed. So I asked if I can buy my own modem to extend my wifi range because the new one doesnt reach alot of areas in my house. But they said they don't allow any other other modems besides theres for 1 gigabit speed at the moment. Before i used netgear range extenders n i was barely getting 1 bar for my ring doorbell and my cameras inside my garage. Anyways I wanna ask is it bullshit what they said about them not allowing other modems? If so what other options do I have for better range on my wifi. Thanks in advance.

You can't use a different modem, but you can use a different router. I am no expert in how to set this up, but you could attach a router to the current modem and disable the router in the current modem. Personally I am a fan of Homeplugs, devices that use the electrical network to provide internet to poweroutlets around the house.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

that's well... bullshit

they don't support them if you have problems with it, but you're allowed to use them

i mean, that's what a mechanic at KPN (dutch isp) told me

1 minute ago, martward said:

You can't use a different modem, but you can use a different router. I am no expert in how to set this up, but you could attach a router to the current modem and disable the router in the current modem. Personally I am a fan of Homeplugs, devices that use the electrical network to provide internet to poweroutlets around the house.

we call that bridging

I'm not certain about paying for a 1Gbit plan but spectrum has a vendor list for 3rd party compatible modems. This includes DOCSIS 3.1 which would handle a 1Gbit plan so maybe there's something special about the 1Gbit plan that suddenly makes this modem list un-usable? I want to say you should be able to pick your own modem but I can't say for sure as I haven't done it myself: Compatible Modem List