Why facebook (desktop web) comsumes data always?

sdw123

When I logged into my FB account even without any scrolling or playing audios/videos etc (autoplay is already off). It consumes about 9 - 12 mbps always. Is there any way to stop this? 

Stop using Facebook 

thats just the the nature of the site, you can turn off auto play and there might be a data consumption setting but im not sure

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Thats how websites work. Or any internet service. Unless you have some addon/extension which will load site once and then stop loading unless you provoke it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Thats how websites work. Or any internet service. Unless you have some addon/extension which will load site once and then stop loading unless you provoke it.

what? what do you mean by 'Thats how websites work. Or any internet service'? Is LTT or any other site use bandwidth for hours without doing anything?

If a site streaming, loading, downloading something I understand. But when I go to www.facebook.com/messages and get my hands off from the mouse, it's using several GBs per hour nonstop. I leave that to check yesterday and it used 15.9 GB within less than 20 hours and there wasn't any images, videos, or attachments in my messages. Even there were, I don't think the site is automatically loading all media files in every msg.

20 minutes ago, sdw123 said:

what? what do you mean by 'Thats how websites work. Or any internet service'? Is LTT or any other site use bandwidth for hours without doing anything?

If a site streaming, loading, downloading something I understand. But when I go to www.facebook.com/messages and get my hands off from the mouse, it's using several GBs per hour nonstop. I leave that to check yesterday and it used 15.9 GB within less than 20 hours and there wasn't any images, videos, or attachments in my messages. Even there were, I don't think the site is automatically loading all media files in every msg.

Every site has background stuff that load things from server. Just loading any moving thing will mean data is being moved. During 10s I was looking at my networking tab, LTT forums popped up for few secs or 0.1Mbps. It would be about 10megs in hour. Moving data is part of how internet services work. I don't know why FB would need to move more. But your option is to not use FB, or use some software to limit networking by sites/software/apps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Every site has background stuff that load things from server. Just loading any moving thing will mean data is being moved. During 10s I was looking at my networking tab, LTT forums popped up for few secs or 0.1Mbps. It would be about 10megs in hour. Moving data is part of how internet services work. I don't know why FB would need to move more. But your option is to not use FB, or use some software to limit networking by sites/software/apps.

Unfortunately, I'm having several business pages for my YouTube channels and need to update them and respond to msgs in FB. Yh. This isn't normal. This didn't happen before. I thought other ppl having the same issue.