Best 140mm Intake fan?

Hey everybody, I'm looking to add some new fans in my case, because I currently have only one stock intake fan that came with my Phanteks p350x. Currently, I am deciding between the Be Quiet! silent wings 3, and the Corsair Ml140's. I am wondering what the better of the two is for intake cooling options. I keep finding conflicting opinions about these fans. I know there are many other good intake fans, and if there are any that you feel passionate about, go ahead and tell me about them, I am open to any opinions about your favorite fans. I am mostly looking for a fan that isn't noisy, has pretty good static pressure for intake airflow, and looks decent (not Noctua brown, just like a solid black or something). Hopefully, yall can help me figure this one out.

Thanks,

-Earn

ML140's perform better but SW3's are quieter. What's your biggest priority? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

for 140mm fans I've been sticking with Noctua industrial iPPC NF-A14 PWM model https://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-industrialppc-2000-pwm

They move quite a bit of air, are pretty quiet, and more importantly to me have a lower tone. All else being equal I prefer a lower tone over a higher pitched tone for fan noise.

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

59 minutes ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

for 140mm fans I've been sticking with Noctua industrial iPPC NF-A14 PWM model https://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-industrialppc-2000-pwm

I just upgraded all my case fans with these.  They're quite nice and the improved airflow is great.

That being said if you're looking for good fans that are dead silent Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 are the way to go.  I built the wife's computer with all SW3s and it runs cool and silent.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

On 3/12/2019 at 8:48 PM, Velcade said:

I just upgraded all my case fans with these.  They're quite nice and the improved airflow is great.

That being said if you're looking for good fans that are dead silent Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 are the way to go.  I built the wife's computer with all SW3s and it runs cool and silent.

Hey sorry for the later reply, but I currently have the prism cooler for my CPU, and that goes up to around 44 dB. I see that the Noctua fan goes to around 31.5. I feel like that's a big difference. I have my computer positioned under my desk and can hear the cpu fan quite loudly. How well can you hear the Noctua fan? I'm not super picky on the noise, but If I can hear them loudly with open back headphones on from my computer under my desk, I may not go for them.

On 3/16/2019 at 1:54 AM, Earn said:

Hey sorry for the later reply, but I currently have the prism cooler for my CPU, and that goes up to around 44 dB. I see that the Noctua fan goes to around 31.5. I feel like that's a big difference. I have my computer positioned under my desk and can hear the cpu fan quite loudly. How well can you hear the Noctua fan? I'm not super picky on the noise, but If I can hear them loudly with open back headphones on from my computer under my desk, I may not go for them.

My computer sits next to me on my desk. I have 3 140mm PPC 2000 fans and 4 120mm PPC 2000PWM fans in the case.  It sits next to me and I can hear the fans normally.  However when I put my headphones (Sennheiser HD 660S) on the noise is not a distraction.  Now that's not to say it's not present it's just not loud enough to take my focus away from my current task.  YMMV.

Hope that helps...

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

12 hours ago, Earn said:

on my 9900k rig there are 3 on the radiator pushing up out the top, 2 on the front as intake, and 2 on the floor as intake (all the 2000rpm PWM model).

I can barely hear them outside of games, even without headphones on.

In games, they ramp up a little bit but still not very loud - with headphones on I can't ever hear them.

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

13 hours ago, Earn said:

If you want a quieter system, avoid loud components. If your cooler if too noisy, replacing that will make a bigger difference than just getting new case fans.

What cpu, case, and ram are you using? Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you want a quieter system, avoid loud components. If your cooler if too noisy, replacing that will make a bigger difference than just getting new case fans.

What cpu, case, and ram are you using? Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

I have a phanteks p350x case with a 2700x and 16gb (8x2) tridentx 3200mhz ram.

I'm shopping on amazon, and I do plan to replace my cpu cooler eventually. I'm asking about the fans because I am still only using the 1 included intake fan with the case and want to improve the airflow. I was wondering about the noise because when I do replace my cpu cooler with something quieter, I want the total noise to be relatively low (combination of new fans and cpu cooler). I was looking at the Cooler Master Master Air MA410M.  My budget is probably like less than $80 for a cpu cooler and like $30 per fan. I'm pretty sure im getting the previously mentioned noctua fans, but if you have any other recommendations for different fans or a cpu cooler I'd be happy to hear.

8 hours ago, Velcade said:

My computer sits next to me on my desk. I have 3 140mm PPC 2000 fans and 4 120mm PPC 2000PWM fans in the case.  It sits on the desk next to me and I can hear the fans normally.  However when I put my headphones (Sennheiser HD 660S) on the noise it's a distraction.  Now that's not to say it's not present it's just not loud enough to take my focus away from my current task.  YMMV.

Hope that helps...

I have the hd598's and I believe both of our headphones are open back. Seeing as you have open back headphones, and my computer is under my desk, I don't think only 2 of those fans shouldn't be a problem for me. Thanks for the help.

8 hours ago, Earn said:

I have a phanteks p350x case with a 2700x and 16gb (8x2) tridentx 3200mhz ram.

I'm shopping on amazon, and I do plan to replace my cpu cooler eventually. I'm asking about the fans because I am still only using the 1 included intake fan with the case and want to improve the airflow. I was wondering about the noise because when I do replace my cpu cooler with something quieter, I want the total noise to be relatively low (combination of new fans and cpu cooler). I was looking at the Cooler Master Master Air MA410M.  My budget is probably like less than $80 for a cpu cooler and like $30 per fan. I'm pretty sure im getting the previously mentioned noctua fans, but if you have any other recommendations for different fans or a cpu cooler I'd be happy to hear.

There are probably better options available than the MA410M unless you're aiming for that aesthetic. 

Where are you shopping / located?

13 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

There are probably better options available than the MA410M unless you're aiming for that aesthetic. 

Where are you shopping / located?

I am shopping on amazon or newegg, located in the U.S. I would prefer to have an rgb cpu cooler, but am still open to other options that are good for cooling.

On 3/17/2019 at 2:07 PM, Earn said:

I am shopping on amazon or newegg, located in the U.S. I would prefer to have an rgb cpu cooler, but am still open to other options that are good for cooling.

The Hyper 212 RGB BE is a bit better if you want something with RGB: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hHDJ7P/cooler-master-hyper-212-rgb-black-edition-573-cfm-cpu-cooler-rr-212s-20pc-r1

If you don't mind going with something that's just black, the Ninja 5 is much quieter: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dZ3H99/scythe-ninja-5-430-cfm-cpu-cooler-scnj-5000

Noctua has their Redux line with grey fans that include the NF-P12's and NF-P14S. Either would be great for front intake due to how the 140mm fan mounts are partly blocked off in the P350X. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VNBTwP/noctua-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm-708-cfm-120mm-fan-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8r9KHx/noctua-case-fan-nfp14sredux1500pwm