Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hbsterling

Computer won't turn on

Posted · Original PosterOP

I built a new pc with brand new parts from either newegg or amazon and it has been a month. I did just put rgb strips in the case which was powered from the motherboard. When I was playing r6 siege the pc just randomly shutoff. The lights (not the strips) directly on the motherboard work and the ethernet lights as well. Whenever I press the on button there is click but nothing happens and then I can't get the click again unless i unplug the power cord completley. I tried turning it on without rgb strips and making sure the motherboard power is connected but nothing. Please help.

Sounds like you might be tripping overcurrent protection on your PSU.

Desktop: i7 7700K @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master H80i v2, 500GB M.2 SSD, Corsair 230T case, Sapphire RX 590 8GB

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel  

Laptop: Eluktronics W650kk1, i5-7400, 8GB DDR4, GTX 1050Ti, 250GB WD SSD, 120Hz Asus Display  

Laptop: Alienware 18 (2014). I7 4930MX @ 4.1GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB 840Evo, 1TB HDD, GTX 980m 8GB  **Broken**

Laptop: Razer Blade Stealth 2017, i7 7500u, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Laptop: Razer Blade 14 mid 2016. I7 6700hq, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 970m 6GB.

Laptop: Origin Eon11s. i7 3820QM, GT 650M 2GB, 120GB SSD, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 11.6in 768p display  **Dismantled**

1 minute ago, hbsterling said:

How would I check this? I have a semi modular TX650M corsair psu. 

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~

CPU:  Intel  i7-4790k | RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: MSI Z97-G45 | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Crucial MX200 (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

If the power supply checks out, I would unplug everything except the the bare minimum, just to see if your computer posts. 

The only thing that should be plug in is Motherboard, and video card if you don't have onboard video monitor and keyboard. Everything else should be unplugged, ssd harddrives, lights case fans USB devices etc.. 

Posted · Original PosterOP

I tried testing the PSU with the paperclip and nothing happened so I am assuming it is the psu at this point. What could have caused this, is there something I can do to prevent this from happening?

4 hours ago, hbsterling said:

I lied, when I took the psu out of the case and tested one last time the fan started spinning. So it must be another part?

I'd start by checking your temperatures.

Something like HWMonitor should be able to check both

standalone alternatives would be something along the lines of Afterburner and CoreTemp

It's possible that you're hitting a thermal shutdown

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~

CPU:  Intel  i7-4790k | RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: MSI Z97-G45 | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Crucial MX200 (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB