Upgrade options for my router

Bqtacke222

Alright,here is my problem,basically I have a fibre internet running at 300mbps but however,the default router given was literally thrash,I keep experiencing lag spikes or occasionally increase in ping or even failure to even load a 720p (not to even mention 1080p when watching streams.Despite multiple attempts by my ISP visits to my home,they merely just claim that everything was normal and it was the fault of the router and hence I have changed the same router over and over again(thanks ISP)like around 8 times throughout the past 1 year.I think the problem lies on the router they provided.Hence,I was thinking of just getting my own custom router at this point due to my frustration with the lags.I have considered Asus RT-88U,Asus ROG rapture GT-AC 5300,RT-Ax88u(maybe for future proofing).I know this might sound like overkill but I have plans to upgrade to 2Gbps fibre internet speed later on in this year.What do you guys think about the above routers?I would appreciate other router recommendations as well.Thank you!

At those types of speeds, i'd strongly recommend you look beyond consumer-level networking hardware to be able to best take full advantage of it. I don't have personal experience with any of their products, but I know Ubiquiti comes highly recommended on this forum. You're going to best off getting additional help from someone more in-tune with network engineering than I.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

What devices are these? Are they dropping on wireless? Wired? Certain times of the day? 

Also I would not upgrade to 2gig unless you download constantly. 

20 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

What devices are these? Are they dropping on wireless? Wired? Certain times of the day? 

Also I would not upgrade to 2gig unless you download constantly. 

In OP's country, it might be dirt cheap. In Portugal, a 1Gbps fibre-to-the-home line costs 35€ a month, cheaper than any DSL line.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

3 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

In OP's country, it might be dirt cheap. In Portugal, a 1Gbps fibre-to-the-home line costs 35€ a month, cheaper than any DSL line.

In those cases go for it. 

45 minutes ago, Bqtacke222 said:

I have plans to upgrade to 2Gbps fibre internet speed later

Id stay away from any consumer grade gear and start looking at Prosumer/Enterprise gear. Ubiquti is a good start. OR you might consider building your own router via PFsense.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Are they dropping on wireless? Wired?

Yes they are indeed dropping on wireless because the router is located in the living room and my room is about 3 walls away.

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Id stay away from any consumer grade gear 

What about 1Gbps internet speed,would consumer grade router still be a viable choice?Because I reside in Singapore and hence I can have access to many different Brands of consumer grade routers like Asus,Tplink,netgear etc.I am not really an expert at professional routers or enterprise versions and hence I would prefer a consumer grade one if I were to go for 1Gbps instead of 2Gbps.In this scenario,would you still recommend the above Asus routers that I mentioned or any other Brands?Thank you!

6 hours ago, Semper said:

At those types of speeds, i'd strongly recommend you look beyond consumer-level networking hardware to be able to best take full advantage of it.

What if I were to upgrade to 1Gbps instead of 2Gbps?Would you still recommend consumer grade routers?Would my options above like Asus be viable?Thank you!

3 hours ago, Bqtacke222 said:

What about 1Gbps internet speed,would consumer grade router still be a viable choice?Because I reside in Singapore and hence I can have access to many different Brands of consumer grade routers like Asus,Tplink,netgear etc.I am not really an expert at professional routers or enterprise versions and hence I would prefer a consumer grade one if I were to go for 1Gbps instead of 2Gbps.In this scenario,would you still recommend the above Asus routers that I mentioned or any other Brands?Thank you!

Its all about finding a router that has the ability to do 1Gbps LAN to WAN Throughput. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ this site has all the stats you would need to know. But even for 1 Gbps Id be inclined to use more than consumer grade. BUT Im sure you might find a consumer grade router that could handle Gigabit speeds. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Its all about finding a router that has the ability to do 1Gbps LAN to WAN Throughput. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ this site has all the stats you would need to know. But even for 1 Gbps Id be inclined to use more than consumer grade. BUT Im sure you might find a consumer grade router that could handle Gigabit speeds. 

13 hours ago, Bqtacke222 said:

What if I were to upgrade to 1Gbps instead of 2Gbps?Would you still recommend consumer grade routers?Would my options above like Asus be viable?Thank you!

I have to agree with @Donut417 here on this one. Once you reach the gigabit level, consumer hardware just isn't worth it. Prosumer hardware is just generally better period, but the more you're able to feed it, the larger the disparity gap grows.

Consumer hardware will undoubtedly get the job done, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to do it well. Taking some time to just start learning about going beyond consumer junk I feel will serve you better for a much longer period of time. When it comes time for me to upgrade, my plan is Ubiquiti as I linked previously. People on this forum highly recommend it, and troweling around the internet, the general consensus seems to be that it's rock solid at a fair price.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB