Microsoft brings DirectX 12 to Windows 7

Delicieuxz

World of Warcraft uses DirectX 12 running on Windows 7

At Microsoft, we make every effort to respond to customer feedback, so when we received this feedback from Blizzard and other developers, we decided to act on it. Microsoft is pleased to announce that we have ported the user mode D3D12 runtime to Windows 7. This unblocks developers who want to take full advantage of the latest improvements in D3D12 while still supporting customers on older operating systems.

Today, with game patch 8.1.5 for World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth, Blizzard becomes the first game developer to use DirectX 12 for Windows 7! Now, Windows 7 WoW gamers can run the game using DirectX 12 and enjoy a framerate boost, though the best DirectX 12 performance will always be on Windows 10, since Windows 10 contains a number of OS optimizations designed to make DirectX 12 run even faster.

We’d like to thank the development community for their feedback. We’re so excited that we have been able to partner with our friends in the game development community to bring the benefits of DirectX 12 to all their customers. Please keep the feedback coming!

FAQ
Any other DirectX 12 game coming to Windows 7?
We are currently working with a few other game developers to port their D3D12 games to Windows 7. Please watch out for further announcement.

Wow (not as in World of Warcraft). So, all this time, Microsoft didn't add DX12 to Windows 7 simply because they didn't think there was any interest in it. Geez, if only the community knew to make itself heard more - maybe if we had just done that, not only would DX12 been in Windows 7 long ago, but perhaps Microsoft also wouldn't have added all that telemetry and forced updates nonsense to Windows 10. Yes, everything is making perfect sense, now.

Oh, and while you're enjoying DX12 in Windows 7 Microsoft is going to be pestering you with ads to install to Windows 10, just like they did when Win 10 first released and which Microsoft also issued an apology for doing. So, the message here is, 'Windows 7 da best gets DX12, get da fuk on Win10, srry'.

Also, my other (locked) thread is great. Worth checking out.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

wow. so Windows 7 is EOL in less than a year and you add this now? pfft

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

microsoft logic: hundreds of Windows 10 bugs.... nah that can wait. lets add directx12 to a system that will be EOL in less than a year. 

*claps slowly*

She/Her

Uh.... I was not expecting this. I'm just trying to figure out what the catch is, what the hell is their motive here? Why would they do this?

Welp... It's great news anyway.

Screenshot_7.png.85e6f9633594dd8702e8a87a19f63956.png

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

hm.. I might just have to revert back to windows 7 my self..

it would some shit if M$ open sourced win7 (or at least windows 9x just to play with. imagine, 9x gets open sourced, and suddenly new drivers and shit are made so it can run on 8 core CPUS and high end GFX cards..lol)

15 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I know I probs missed it in the OP but how does one get DX12 on 7?

I don't know. Maybe through a Windows Update patch and graphics driver update? Or, is it built directly into WoW?

11 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Uh.... I was not expecting this. I'm just trying to figure out what the catch is, what the hell is their motive here? Why would they do this?

Welp... It's great news anyway.

Screenshot_7.png.85e6f9633594dd8702e8a87a19f63956.png

Don't know, but maybe Blizzard and some other developers calculated a large portion of their market is not going to move from Windows 7 (like maybe in China) yet they wanted to move their whole game engines support to DX12, and so pressed Microsoft and were willing to pay Microsoft a lot of money for it.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

Probably through a Windows Update patch and graphics driver update.

Definitely gonna need to do it manually through M$ website, I don't want to re-enable Windows Update Service just for that and risk a bunch of BS updates.

Why would you even do that when you're going to kill it in a year anyways ??? You'd better used that money to work on your new Chromium Browser Project thing !

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Coz they couldn't do that like 5 years ago, they do it now...

I need benchmarks comparing both like yesterday, they say it's only the user-mode side of thing, I wanna know how much of an impact, not having wddm2 (and most likely a few other things) will have.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Sounds more like hackish backporting than being able to actually support natively. I mean cool.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Two important things to note:

It's only a subset of DX12 and it's not a general release but a case by case solution. So far it's just one game supporting it.

Well, it's not like mainstream support ended four years ago or anything.

2 minutes ago, BachChain said:

Well, it's not like mainstream support ended four years ago or anything.

IKR, I demand they release DX12 on XP.  until they do this they are obviously upto something anti consumer.  ?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I don't think this is the DirectX 12 everyone thinks it is. Reading the source material (i.e., Microsoft and Blizzard's announcements), all Blizzard wanted was the multithreaded rendering capabilities of DX12 to gain performance. Windows 7 does not appear to be getting WDDM 2.0 which seems to be an overhaul of the driver stack which is where DX12 leverages most of its improvements from.

i'm a fan of the tinfoil hat posts about it being an agenda to get people to move to w10

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

how many games use DX12 though.... 

still on W7 

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

maybe if we keep pestering them rhey will finally give up and give windows 10:

the old windows update control panel

fully opt-out off of telemetry

no more ads

no more apps that get installed without the user's notice

... that's all that comes to my mind, been a long time since i've used windows 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>