I've Wanted this for YEARS!

nicklmg

22 40mm fans (including PSU) are too loud to put in the room next to your editors? Who would have guessed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Kinda strange design, but after explaining what it actually is, kinda makes sense. No need to "fix" what ain't broken, it's a skunk works practically (closes comparison is the headless PUs for bitcoin mining).

Still, 1U is THIN.

Interesting choice of music - sounds like Terraria's OST.

I'm assuming it was Taran that edited this one.

Regarding the actual product, I wouldn't be able to validate the extra cost and noise of this 1u. A 2U just seems to be the way to go.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

In my world you need a thick coat to actually go in to a server room because of the air conditioning so why water cooling would be a thing is beyond me :) Also in a real server hall sound volume is not a factor. If you have a few hundred servers a 1U form factor will be appreciated.

19 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

Interesting choice of music - sounds like Terraria's OST.

I'm assuming it was Taran that edited this one.

Regarding the actual product, I wouldn't be able to validate the extra cost and noise of this 1u. A 2U just seems to be the way to go.

The editor is always listed at the end, 16:24 in this video, and the editor was @Aprime.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

The editor is always listed at the end, 16:24 in this video, and the editor was @Aprime.

That surprises me a bit. I thought it was Taran due to his recent terraria related content.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1 minute ago, Imbellis said:

That surprises me a bit. I thought it was Taran due to his recent terraria related content.

I made a Terraria reference?

Edit: oh, yeah no.

Just now, Aprime said:

I made a Terraria reference? 

The music included in the video sounds very similar to (If it isn't) Terraria's OST.

Yah the title is pretty odd...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

It's not an Epyc machine, seriously!

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

I must say I'm not a fan of that cooling solution

I'll show myself out

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Linus sure did a number on that PIA outro ?

10 minutes ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

Anything that loud would break the glass.

Nah, it's like compressed air, it'll make you deaf but it won't break anything.

There have been attempts at water cooling server gear in the past many times. The problem is stuffing blocks and tubing inside already space constrained 1U-4U chassis that has been designed for airflow and has a defined air path. You cannot always interrupt that air path with tubing runs and a giant block. The power supplies, memory and storage, installed cards etc. are also designed to be kept cool using that air path, meaning that you will still need several loud fans running even with a custom loop.

Assuming you do get your tubing and blocks inside, radiator size is the REAL hurdle when it comes to cooling. Radiators need lots of square area for air to move through and fans to cover. A 1U rad with a 40mm fan spinning at 3000 RPM won't cool anywhere near as well as a thick 120mm rad with just a single fan on it. So you end up moving the radiator outside your server case and mounting it directly to your rack. The problem there is orientation. Most 19 inch wide racks will only accommodate three 120mm fans across it's front. Even if you double up with two 80mm thick 360 rads with fans in push pull you are still just 17 inches inside a 36 inch deep rack and have taken up 4U of server rack - your space is completely wasted.

A better method would be to place 140mm rads oriented not front to back but side to side. Now a set of four 80mm thick 560's with fans in push/pull would fill out that 19 inch wide 36+ inch deep 5U rack space better. The catch is that your single tall rack will now require airflow coming in from the front AND side with airflow coming out the back and the other side. Some installations can do it, but the majority of rack setups can't.

You could also place the radiators behind the rack and do longer tubing runs but that would require deeper space and add mounting complexity. Also, if you end up with a whole wall of radiators, moving that heat out will require significant rework of your exhaust. The benefits to having a cooler and quieter system and getting it overclocked are tough to go by when air-cooled is far simpler and the noise can be mitigated.

So where do I get that cooling system??? I am thinking water cooled mini-itx in a custom case that is less than 2 inches (50mm) tall, allowing me to design a serious gaming laptop for cheap.

What was that thing he connected to the hdmi of the video card?

Case: NZXT H440 CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.0 Cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 920 Graphics Card: Zotac Mini GTX1070 Ti Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170 K3 RAM: Kingstone Fury 2x8GB Storage: Crucial P1 SSD, Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5, Hitachi - Deskstar 500 3.5" PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 550W 80+ Mouse: Logitech G403 OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit  Audio: ATH-AD500X

What do they cost? I can't find a price on them.

• 5 months later...

HP do a off the shelf water cooled EVRYTHING rack mounted server designed to run off the chilled water system that normally cools the CRAC units (down flow air cooling). These hp servers cool the cpus, memory hard drives controller cards, chip sets and psu's (though in larger gateways the power is centrally supplied)

And it has all solid copper tubing and headers.