Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tcrumpen

Are you a physical media or digital downloads person? (When it comes to music)

Posted · Original PosterOP

It's a discussion i always like to get into to see the different arguments people have

I find myself personally getting CDs. I love to have the physical media; i of course rip the tracks as soon as i get them, but i hold the mentality of should something go wrong with my computer phone etc. I've still got the music i love to listen to as i have the CDs so i can put them in my Car or back onto my computer (I'm also one of the only people i know that is annoyed that machines have gone the "No CD drive route")

Also i don't know why but there is something satisfying and having actual CD albums when everyone else seems to be going for the "Download from Amazon" route

I don't go vinyl as i personally don't like the resurgence of Vinyl. It's only happening thanks to 'hipsters' i personally think and you can see that with the music being released on Vinyl

Funny enough, both. I collect CDs and I don't mind buying digital, so long as the shit I can find is in FLAC.

On the topic of vinyl, I really don't see a point as to why it's being revived. Very few people who are buying vinyl nowadays who aren't audiophiles who swear by a piece of round PVC are buying turntables worth a damn to play the records.

Volume / Normalized 100% / 74% (content loudness 2.7dB)

Local Saturn wagon owner and a Southern California ex-pat. I also do low-quality video captures sometimes.

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Tyler :^

I stream my music and download in preparation for traveling in areas where I may not have service to stream.

1 minute ago, Volbet said:

I guess you could say that I've taken the route of physical media:

IMG_20190312_145744.thumb.jpg.2f47c397512ba1340880a9313594a699.jpg

IMG_20190312_145800.thumb.jpg.a67575765e431219724a8e1b8f8f44a2.jpg

If you think vinyl is fuelled by Hipster's, then what about cassette tapes?

Cassette Tapes here in the UK at least to my knowledge are really dead. I don't know of ANYWHERE you can buy cassettes from nowadays other than Charity shops

2 minutes ago, Volbet said:

I guess you could say that I've taken the route of physical media:

-snip-

People who buy cassettes and have a decent tape deck either collected tapes for a good few decades or watched Techmoan.

Which is, to say, I'm bizarrely interested in finding as many Dolby S tapes that I can.

Local Saturn wagon owner and a Southern California ex-pat. I also do low-quality video captures sometimes.

6 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Funny enough, both. I collect CDs and I don't mind buying digital, so long as the shit I can find is in FLAC.

On the topic of vinyl, I really don't see a point as to why it's being revived. Very few people who are buying vinyl nowadays who aren't audiophiles who swear by a piece of round PVC are buying turntables worth a damn to play the records.

I'm a slight audiophille but more like a realistic one i've listened to FLACS and i can't tell the difference between a high quality MP3 and a Flac on my home cinema system, but i don't have the income to buy like £2000 speakers

1 minute ago, Volbet said:

The hipsters final form is fueled by cassette tapes

CPU - Ryzen 5 2600 / Motherboard - MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC / RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 4x8GB @ 3200MHz / GPU - Saphire Nitro+ Vega 64 / PSU - Corsair RMx750 / Storage - 500gb Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda / Case - Phanteks P600s / Monitor - Samsung 32" CJG5 1440P 144Hz Keyboard - Razer Ornata / Mouse - Razer Naga Trinity / Headphones - HyperX Cloud 2 (PC) Airpods (Phone) / Speakers - Logitech Z337 / Phone - OnePlus 7T Pro

Just now, Tcrumpen said:

I'm a slight audiophille but more like a realistic one i've listened to FLACS and i can't tell the difference between a high quality MP3 and a Flac on my home cinema system, but i don't have the income to buy like £2000 speakers

I collect FLACs not because I'm trying to be completely anal about audio quality but because I like to keep a lossless archive because I tend to convert my music to 320kbps AAC. That's usually more than good enough for my ears but I'd like to be able to convert the source again.

1 minute ago, Tcrumpen said:

Cassette Tapes here in the UK at least to my knowledge are really dead. I don't know of ANYWHERE you can buy cassettes from nowadays other than Charity shops

I know of at least one place in the UK that sell new cassette releases.

Cassette tape sales have also been on a major rise, especially in the UK.

2 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

People who buy cassettes and have a decent tape deck either collected tapes for a good few decades or watched Techmoan.

Which is, to say, I'm bizarrely interested in finding as many Dolby S tapes that I can.

There are also still releases being sold exclusively on cassette tape. Granted, they are nice releases like demos and noise music, but there's still a thriving enthusiast scene.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

When CDs were more available I would always buy physical media, but now that the distribution streams have largely moved digital, I've migrated that way as well, purely out of convenience. 

CPU: i7-4790k MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 w/ Noctua NF-A14s 

GPU: Asus Strix GTX-980 Case: Corsair 350D PSU: Corsair AX-760i Storage: 2 x 500GB Evo RAID 0 + 2 x 2TB WD Green's in RAID 1 

I mostly buy physical CDs then have digital rips into formats of my choosing. Plus, eight buck or less for a CD with 10-12 songs, hell yeah.

I do have a few digital downloads, but I mostly aim for lossless formats that I can re-encode.

Just a nutty gal that abuse hardware with F@H and BOINC.

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 4690K Delid, E5-2670V3, 1900X, 1950X, 5960X J Batch

My GPU Army:960 FTW at 1551MHz, 1080Ti FTW3, 1080Ti SC, 1070 Hybrid, 2x Titan XP

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

You can't sell a digital collection (at least as far as I'm aware...). I'll bring games into this as well. Nintendo game carts are ridiculously expensive compared to digital downloads, but you can at least resell them. Also collectors editions and box art in general are like my biggest turn ons. I like holding a purchase.

ᴬⁿʸᵒⁿᵉ ᵍᵒᵗ ᵃ ᵇᵒˣ ᶠᵒʳ ˢʰᵃᵈᵒʷ ᵈʳᵃᵍᵒⁿ ᵈˢˀ

CDs are cool too, but at least in part because the only music options in my car are CDs and radio. 

H440 Red+Black | i7 5820k | MSI r9 280x 3G | MSI x99a sli plus | Corsair h115i + Noctua ippc 3000 pwm fans | 1tb + 240 gb intel ssd | 4x4 gb Corsair Lpx 2400

I'm firmly  in the physical media camp.  CDs to be specific.  I'll only buy digital when buying a CD is not an option (artists that only release certain albums digitally, for example, or when getting the CD would be insanely costly).

I too rip them as soon as I get them and then put the CDs themselves in storage.  FLAC on the PC, MP3 320 on the phone.  I do keep the original WAV files from the rip on my backup drive, in case I ever find a problem with one of the FLAC files.

5 minutes ago, Crossbred said:

You can't sell a digital collection (at least as far as I'm aware...)

Indeed.  You usually can't sell digital media.  Nobody can inherit it either.  The license according to most EULAs is non-transferrable. 

I'm 100% digital, but I do collect physical CDs from the K-pop album packages I buy, so occasionally I'll use my parent's CD player to play some music from the various CDs I've collected.

Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiast & K-Pop Star

Switch Reviews  PC Photography  Keyboard #1 Photography  Keyboard #2 Photography • FiiO FH5

I don't mind either although I usually prefer digital downloads for the sake of convenience.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 136

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB + WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Blaupunkt 32" TV + Samsung S24D590L 

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

My phone:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (N960F)

CPU: Samsung Exynos 9810

RAM: 6GB

GPU: Mali-G72 MP18

Storage: 128GB internal storage + 128GB Samsung microSD card

My laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

RAM: 8GB DDR4

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X

Storage: 1TB HDD

When you're constantly on the move you quickly learn to go digital. And downloads, not streaming, as I can't always guarantee I'll have internet.  

I prefer digital downloads but some things I want a physical copy of. I buy some vinyl stuff, like the collectors edition signed ones and I do feel that if I want to just listen to music, Vinyl is a better experience. I enjoy the sound is all 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally)...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

17 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

I collect FLACs not because I'm trying to be completely anal about audio quality but because I like to keep a lossless archive because I tend to convert my music to 320kbps AAC. That's usually more than good enough for my ears but I'd like to be able to convert the source again.

I just use Apple Lossless and it sounds better than 320kbps. No need for Vinyl garbage. Leave the past as it is, I like the convenience of Apple Music. 

Better sound quality is in better speakers now. No more $200 Walmart garbage. 

Both. download/stream for convenience whilst I have a physical collection for quality/nostalgia/collection/supporting artists.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

digital, only google play music, used it for many years and it's been nice

Dutch Talk Thread

Unofficial LMG Social Media Accounts Website

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-4790K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 U3+ RAM: 4x4 GB DDR3 1600MHz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Ti 8G Case: Corsair 230T Windowed Orange SSD: Crucial BX100 250 Gb PSU: Cooler Master G450M HDD: WD 1 TB Generic

Laptops: Macbook Air 2012 11" baseline (i5-3317U @ 1.7 Ghz) upgraded with a Samsung 850 evo 250 GB SSD

HP Zbook Studio G5 (i7-8750H, 16 GB DDR4 2666MHz, Samsung PM981 512 GB, Nvidia Quadro P1000)

I'm more of a "would rather own than borrow" kinda person, for example I don't subscribe to any music streaming services because I don't really own the stuff. Sure I may use spotify's free version or soundcloud without the subscription. But I'd much rather have a back up of the music I like on my hard drives, so if spotify were to ever shut down or I go broke I still have my music to listen to.