please remove the new store thing on the sidebar...

105518059_ScreenShot2019-03-12at07_28_22.png.fdb64d5fa373726a3fea80ed7dbc164c.png

...you have a store page. if i want to buy something to support the forum i will go there. 

i understand a lot of users have adblock on, but i don't. when i had it i always whitelisted the forum, and now i don't run adblock at all to speed my browser up. 

but regardless, now on a 1680x1050 screen with my Dock hidden the ad, that new thing and the calendar take up all of the space on the side. i mean all of it. i can't see any recent topics:

1788748403_ScreenShot2019-03-12at07_30_32.thumb.png.9fbdc317396ae8e09f03070ba6aafdd1.png

if i unhide my Dock (like i usually have it) it's even worse:

1164138861_ScreenShot2019-03-12at07_32_21.thumb.png.d183ceb3ed5e5458601bd74b1c022744.png

so like can we get rid of it? i find it very annoying. the discord thing and the calendar were already a bit annoying, but this is a little over the top. 

again, i understand why you'd want it there, so that the people who run adblock get to see the store instead of an ad, but please get rid of it at least for users like me who don't have adblock/whitelist the forum. 

maybe you could rename "store" to "support the forum", or perhaps you could make the new thing appear in the spot of the ad if a user has adblock on. but as it is now IMO i have to deal with an annoying amount of advertising. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

on a 1680x1050 screen with my Dock hidden the ad, that new thing and the calendar take up all of the space on the side.

ctrl + mouse wheel

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

ctrl + mouse wheel

whatever that does it doesn't work on a Mac. what would it do if i was running Windows?

She/Her

9 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i don't run adblock at all to speed my browser up. 

You know that's like, the exact opposite of how it works, right?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

whatever that does it doesn't work on a Mac. what would it do if i was running Windows?

it resizes the website scalling to fit the screen , I'm on 4k so I have to make the site much bigger but you could just make it smaller

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You know that's like, the exact opposite of how it works, right?

not exactly. loading has sped up. my cpu is more than powerful enough to render the ads, but now my browser doesn't have to wait for adblock. it used to say that at the bottom, like "waiting for extension adblock plus" when loading pages. 

13 minutes ago, emosun said:

it resizes the website scalling to fit the screen , I'm on 4k so I have to make the site much bigger but you could just make it smaller

that makes it very hard to read on a 15" screen. and it makes the text blurry. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

that makes it very hard to read on a 15" screen. and it makes the text blurry. 

I don't want this to sound unsympathetic.

But if your screen is small , and if the resolution is lower , and you are not willing to scale the site in your browser , then this really isn't the fault of the website anymore.

Anyone else just getting broken pictures? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

But if your screen is small

15" is a normal size for a laptop. 

and if the resolution is lower

it's 1680x1050, which is a 16:10 aspect ratio. you might notice that 1050 is only 30 less than 1080. the resolution is normal. 

and you are not willing to scale the site in your browser

i can barely read the text as it is. 

then this really isn't the fault of the website anymore.

it is. i now have to deal with 2 full size ads. 

She/Her

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

I went ahead and checked the site on my cellphone which is 1280x720 and running the desktop site

While I see your issue , I can also see the text just fine. the phone is lower resolution and is only 6.3 inches than your laptop.

I change my recommendation to simply buy some reading glasses.

Sorry maybe someone who cares more will come along to tell you the same thing. 

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

I went ahead and checked the site on my cellphone which is 1280x720 and running the desktop site

While I see your issue , I can also see the text just fine. the phone is lower resolution and is only 6.3 inches than your laptop.

I change my recommendation to simply buy some reading glasses.

Sorry maybe someone who cares more will come along to tell you the same thing. 

i sit kinda far away form my laptop, because i have a mechanical keyboard in front on it. you try holding your phone with ypour arm stretched out fully (my display is an arm's length away from me) and see if you can read it then. 

but readability of text aside, my issue here is that i now have to see 2 ad's. that's not acceptable IMO. 

She/Her

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

same here. 

@firelighter487 try pasting them again? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

12 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

same here. 

@firelighter487 try pasting them again? 

is it ok now?

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

is it ok now?

yah. 

Hmm... I don't think this was made in consideration of ads. I do not see the ads on my account, and I'm sure their accounts don't either. 

If you hate it, you can just use adblock as I'm sure a lot of people do. They make money on the forums other ways- for example all amazon links you post are automatically converted to their affiliate link, try it sometime. 

I think they should just move it or the ad. Here's how it looks for me 
image.thumb.png.806a1264be32d1c76d2c17d69d2f241d.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

Hmm... I don't think this was made in consideration of ads. I do not see the ads on my account, and I'm sure their accounts don't either. 

If you hate it, you can just use adblock as I'm sure a lot of people do.

but i don't want to run adblock. i want to support the sites that i use. 

besides if i run adblock but don't buy anything from the store i'm not exactly supporting them in other ways... 

She/Her

50 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

1164138861_ScreenShot2019-03-12at07_32_21.thumb.png.d183ceb3ed5e5458601bd74b1c022744.png

Seriously?

you're complaining about that?

OMG cry me a river. 

here I though there was a chance you were scaled like 150% and the ad took up the majority of the screen but THAT? THATS what you're complaining about?

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

is it ok now?

yah i see it now, was on my phone before but now that im on my laptop i saw the new thing. I dont really mind it, i do like the topics to be further up but this is just fine. You can likely just nuke it using tampermonkey if you want it gone

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

You can likely just nuke it using tampermonkey if you want it gone

explain...

She/Her

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

you're complaining about that?

i'm complaining because i think it can be improved and clearly others think the same:

10 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I think they should just move it or the ad. Here's how it looks for me 

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I dont really mind it, i do like the topics to be further up but this is just fine

they might not care enough to start a topic about it (maybe they have bigger screens idk) but i find it annoying enough to start a topic about. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

explain...

tampermonkey is a way to run userscripts that can add features, remove things and so on. Personally i use it to nuke adds on a website and it can be used to get rid of those pesky "disable addblock to view this website" things if you want to use a proper addblocker. You will have to know some Javascript to use it but its not that bad, find a content blocking script and adapt it would be my suggestion

Builds:

Spoiler

I don't see any issues with that. Just something to get used to. It takes the space where Discord announced was before. Only thing you might argue is that user could change order of those blocks. Or few of them if you like to see new threads and status updates first. Personally I don't even glance at that sidebar. I read thread complaining about sidebar ad before noticing it had issues.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

49 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

not exactly. loading has sped up. my cpu is more than powerful enough to render the ads, but now my browser doesn't have to wait for adblock. it used to say that at the bottom, like "waiting for extension adblock plus" when loading pages. 

Oh don't use adblock plug.

Ublock is what you want.

And is it faster to render no ads than to wait for ads to load in.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Personally I don't even glance at that sidebar. I read thread complaining about sidebar ad before noticing it had issues.

same

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

and now i don't run adblock at all to speed my browser up.

I use uBlock Origin since it's actually quite lightweight on system performance an doesn't destroy my RAM with the 10, 15 tabs I normally have open.

33 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

find a content blocking script and adapt it would be my suggestion

My recommendations are, Script Defender for Google Chrome, and if you use Firefox, use NoScript