Nvidia dropping 3D vision support, any cheap & viable alternatives ?

Necrocomputing

According to this article, Nvidia is finally dropping support for 3D vision next month. Since I've personally still been actively using my 3D vision glasses all this time, short of never upgrading my drivers anymore what would realistically be my options for continued play in 3D ?
Also I have reservations about going VR for the following reasons :
1. I don't wanna be playing "street mime" every time I fire up a game. I much rather sit on my ass and use a mouse & keyboard with a drink & a bag of chips near me.
2. Not being able to see where said drink & snack is while gaming.
3. Compatibility, with 3D vision working very well with at least 60% of DirectX 9 and above games from my experience; VR simply can't compete with the amount of playable titles for 3D vision out there.

Here is my Rigs specs for anyone curious :
Asus prime B350m-e
Ryzen 5 2600 @4.2Ghz
2x4Gb DRR4-3000Mhz
240Gb A1000 NVMe SSD

Asus Strix GTX 1070TI
Asus VG236 display

I mean it looks like they wont be releasing new 3d vision software but it looks like there will be security updates for 3d vision until april of 2020, so updating your driver is probably fine, it wont just uninstall 3d vision

1 hour ago, Necrocomputing said:

1. I don't wanna be playing "street mime" every time I fire up a game. I much rather sit on my ass and use a mouse & keyboard with a drink & a bag of chips near me.
2. Not being able to see where said drink & snack is while gaming.
3. Compatibility, with 3D vision working very well with at least 60% of DirectX 9 and above games from my experience; VR simply can't compete with the amount of playable titles for 3D vision out there.

I echo these sentiments. Alas, it doesn't seem there are any VR-games that were designed to be used with a kb+mouse-combo. I could live without being able to see where my drink is --  just gotta me much more careful when reaching for it -- but having to flail around like a headless chicken makes the whole VR-concept a no-go for me from the get-go.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Honestly I get why 3D vision is getting dropped; they haven't released a product for it in 8 years; but IMHO they should release a V3 with motion sensor for basic yes/no imput, or to change the point of view by moving your head side to side or up & down, maybe even some small LED's in the frame that could glow red towards what ever direction you are taking damage from; basically to augment the gaming experience.
Specially considering that 3D vision produces the best anti-aliasing, motion blur & field of depth I've ever experienced inside a game.

I thought they basically had already dropped support for it since like... 5 years ago. They still suck with the surround. Always wanted to try the 3D though, never got a chance.

#Muricaparrotgang

On 3/13/2019 at 7:08 PM, JZStudios said:

I thought they basically had already dropped support for it since like... 5 years ago. They still suck with the surround. Always wanted to try the 3D though, never got a chance.

Yeah the setup has a few annoying bugs now under windows 10; if you don't use the 3D vision feature for a few hours windows will essentially disconnect the emitter. This causes Nvidia to switch to discover 3D mode making your game render in anaglyph instead of active shutter 3D. In order to fix this you must close the game again, unplug and plug the emitter back in, then go to the Nvidia control panel and reset it to the proper 3D mode.

Althoght if you have a pair of blue/red glasses you can try out the 3D for yourself in discover mode; but the color accuracy will suck because of the blue & red filter and you'll see some ghosting due to the image being for both eyes being displayed on the same frames.

8 hours ago, Necrocomputing said:

Yeah the setup has a few annoying bugs now under windows 10; if you don't use the 3D vision feature for a few hours windows will essentially disconnect the emitter. This causes Nvidia to switch to discover 3D mode making your game render in anaglyph instead of active shutter 3D. In order to fix this you must close the game again, unplug and plug the emitter back in, then go to the Nvidia control panel and reset it to the proper 3D mode.

Althoght if you have a pair of blue/red glasses you can try out the 3D for yourself in discover mode; but the color accuracy will suck because of the blue & red filter and you'll see some ghosting due to the image being for both eyes being displayed on the same frames.

Lol, nice. The fact that it does that x years after launch pretty much confirms my suspicion that yet again it's just something else Nvidia boasted as a selling point and never bothered to properly implement. But hey, I'm still on Win7 so I won't have to worry about it if I ever pick up a set. Mankind Divided for some reason still oddly supports it.

#Muricaparrotgang

13 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Lol, nice. The fact that it does that x years after launch pretty much confirms my suspicion that yet again it's just something else Nvidia boasted as a selling point and never bothered to properly implement. But hey, I'm still on Win7 so I won't have to worry about it if I ever pick up a set. Mankind Divided for some reason still oddly supports it.

I was playing a closed beta a few weeks ago that supported it; 3D vision is essentially just code that alters the view point in DirectX games, as long as the game doesn't layer it's effects in a funky way 3D vision should work. The result is that at least 60% of directX games support it just fine after disabling some shadow and/or lighting effects that rendering at the wrong depth. (3D vision will only start in exclusive full screen btw)
The compatibility of 3D vision with games is extremely under rated.

On 3/16/2019 at 8:59 AM, Necrocomputing said:

I was playing a closed beta a few weeks ago that supported it; 3D vision is essentially just code that alters the view point in DirectX games, as long as the game doesn't layer it's effects in a funky way 3D vision should work. The result is that at least 60% of directX games support it just fine after disabling some shadow and/or lighting effects that rendering at the wrong depth. (3D vision will only start in exclusive full screen btw)
The compatibility of 3D vision with games is extremely under rated.

Well there's also frankly no reason that modern games shouldn't work with ultrawides or multi monitors either, but they still frequently don't.

#Muricaparrotgang