"Janky" Performance - Microsoft already suggesting changes to Chromium

rcmaehl

Source:
OnMSFT

Chromium

Summary:
With Microsoft creating a Chromium based browser to replace edge, they are already submitting changes to Chromium. The most recent of which is "smooth scrolling"

Quotes/Excerpts:

Microsoft is currently hard at work on a new version of its Edge browser based on...Chromium. The company announced plans to become a “significant contributor to the Chromium project.” Contributions could benefit all Chromium-based browsers, but one area where Microsoft would like to make an impact is mouse scrolling performance. Microsoft explained that the way EdgeHTML handles mouse scrolling is better than the “janky” performance that Chromium sometimes provides. "Scrollbar scrolling using the mouse happens on the main thread in Chromium. If the main thread is busy (due to reasons like long running JS, etc), scrolling by clicking on the scrollbar will appear to be janky as the events keep getting queued up on the MainThreadEventQueue, waiting for the main thread to free up. We observe on average scrollbar drags have ~2-4x higher latency in Chromium as compared to EdgeHTML today, worse on particularly busy sites.  We attribute this gap primarily to EdgeHTML’s feature for off-thread scrollbar drags.  By avoiding the main thread in Chromium as well, we believe we can bring the performance of scrollbar drags more in line with what we observe in EdgeHTML." Microsoft recently filed an issue with an attached HTML file to prove its point. A Chromium developer has since answered that the team was looking into it, to which Microsoft answered that it has already started prototyping and will “send out an intent-to-implement shortly.” It may take some time before the Chromium team eventually accepts this feature request from Microsoft. But if this does happen, all Chromium-based browsers on all platforms could soon provide the same smooth scrolling performance that Microsoft Edge users currently enjoy.

My Thoughts:

While it's definitely a good thing to have another large team suggesting features, improvements, and bug fixes to your project, I am unsure how well all of this will go. I do think Microsoft did take a bit of a jab at Chromium by suggesting it's performance was "Janky". I will be interested in seeing how all the teams cope between Google's Chrome team, Chromium, and Microsoft. Only time will tell.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

now lets see if they can fix chromiums memory issues..

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

It's a valid criticism of Chromium though, janky is a pretty good way to describe scroll performance on super busy webpages. Try scrolling a high quality twitch stream on a lower end machine. Just because the dev is from Microsoft doesn't mean they don't have just as much right to criticize design decisions and attempt to improve upon them as the next dev. It's not even as though they're blasting a competing product anymore, since they are soon going to be switching to it for Edge.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Excellent. I am actually surprised that Chrome doesn't do this already. Multi-threading GUI from core is the basics.

Hopefully, it gets approved, and the changes will help bring Chromium/Chrome to get smooth scrolling.

If they can get GPU rendered interface to be able to deliver true 60fps on 60Hz screen and 120fps scrolling on a 120Hz screen like Edge, that would be truly amazing. Maybe they'll keep that for their own Edge-chromium based web browser.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

If they can get GPU rendered interface to be able to deliver true 60fps on 60Hz screen and 120fps scrolling on a 120Hz screen like Edge, that would be truly amazing. Maybe they'll keep that for their own Edge-chromium based web browser.

Pretty sure that's already done, but even then the UI in Chrome is very static and does not really need to be updated except in rare cases. The rendering of webpages is GPU accelerated for the things where it make sense.

And I doubt that Microsoft will make large changes to their Chromium based browser. The reason they are scrapping their current Edge browser is probably to cut down on development cost. Doing major changes to Chromium would put them right back at square one. I would be very surprised if Chromium based Edge does any significant changes at all to the engines. It will most likely be little more than a slightly changed UI, and stripping out Google related stuff (like history syncing to your Google account) for Microsoft flavored versions (like history syncing to your Microsoft account).

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

And I doubt that Microsoft will make large changes to their Chromium based browser. The reason they are scrapping their current Edge browser is probably to cut down on development cost. Doing major changes to Chromium would put them right back at square one. I would be very surprised if Chromium based Edge does any significant changes at all to the engines. It will most likely be little more than a slightly changed UI, and stripping out Google related stuff (like history syncing to your Google account) for Microsoft flavored versions (like history syncing to your Microsoft account).

True. I don't expect them to do anything much on version 1.0. I think it will look very close to Chromium.. maybe some Fluent design look-alike but not really matching work applied to it, but that is it. If it picks up, then probably, maybe, now they'll can get justification for getting high resources and maybe start doing some polishing. OR, version 1.0 will just be the current Edge look and feel, with same limitation and the same everything else, but runs Chromium engine on the back instead of EdgeHTML.

just opened edge to compare scrolling... I'm not seeing a difference

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I am actually surprised that Chrome doesn't do this already. Multi-threading GUI

if i start scrolling around like mad all 4 of my core's get more usage. i can notice it in the usage because my cpu is old, so stuff like that does register in a cpu monitor... 

but maybe the Windows version of chrome doesn't do that. i only have my Mac to test so.. 

She/Her

Smooth scrolling is a feature I disable as far as possible in all software. At best it is unnecessary eye candy that takes away performance and wastes time.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

They're right though, I've experienced such janky performance scrolling. Edge while lacking features and all is quite fast, scrolling is great and it's HW accel is awesome. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Lol it's literally just "do it on a different thread"

MS with the fire

The first time I created a GUI, all I was told to do above all else, is to never lock the UI thread. If the user experience pauses and studders, they will most definitely not like the experience.

10 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Embrace: 100% complete

Extend: initialising

Extinguish: pending

Sorry dude but no, even if that was the intent (and at this point nobody knows) there's honestly zero chance of them extinguishing Chromium. It's NEVER going to happen, Chromium and Google are far to big for that strategy.

Google is one of only a few companies large enough to go toe to toe with MS.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Maybe they can fix Silverlight and refresh rate issues while they're at it. 

41 minutes ago, Gullerback said:

Maybe they can fix Silverlight and refresh rate issues while they're at it. 

Silverlight is discontinued. Microsoft does provide security updates, but the company is encouraging everyone to switch to web standards that now we have and enjoy.

Now to fix the RAM use.

this post made by firefox gang

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Hopefully Microsoft will bring the rest of their expertise and fix all the other issues Chromium browsers have in general. Like what OrbitalBuzzsaw above said, RAM usage.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Silverlight is discontinued. Microsoft does provide security updates, but the company is encouraging everyone to switch to web standards that now we have and enjoy.

Had high hopes and crushed hopes in the same day.

It's quite the double standard for microshaft to be calling anything "janky" when they run the worst operating system known to man.

Also, netflix only being fully compatible with edge was due to a backdoor deal as a last desperate effort try and force adoption of the browser which clearly failed miserably. Not far removed from how google tried to purposely nerf firefox performance on youtube not that long ago.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.