Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RILEYISMYNAME

What Happens When Windows 7 DIES?

Posted · Original PosterOP

There's less than a year before Windows 7 security updates get cut off... What's an enthusiast to do!?

How to maximize your privacy on Windows 10:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-manage-privacy/
How to delay Windows 10 updates:
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/09/27/how-to-delay-feature-updates-in-windows-10/

Buy Windows 10:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/BIwyn2D
On Newegg: https://geni.us/3mlezw

Just now, RILEYISMYNAME said:

What's an enthusiast to do!?

Move to Linux

Primary Desktop PC: Intel® Xeon® X5675 @ 4.62 GHz 1.4V || NZXT HAVIK 140 & Noctua NA-SRC10 || ASUS P6X58-E WS || Crucial DDR3-1606 8-11-11-28 (2x4GB) || ASUS STRIX GTX 770 || Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD || WD Green 1TB 3.5" HDD (7.2K RPM) || Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) || Corsair AX860i & White CableMod ModFlex™ Cables || Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Browns) || Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum || Logitech G27 Racing Wheel || Samsung 23.6" 1080p 60Hz PLS (OC'd to 75Hz) || CPU-Z Validation

Windows 10 with Classic Shell, another few tweaks and done: it's basically Win 7 again functionality/Aesthetic wise.

People make too much of a big deal about this when the fixing doesn't take more than a day of 'editing' Windows 10.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.7ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

like windows xp

it never dies

PSU Tier List//Motherboard VRM list//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Before troubleshoot//Mark Solved//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3360 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung ECOGREEN   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB   Screen: Salora 40LED1500

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Soundcard: built in   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

Server: CookieVault

Spoiler

CPU: core2dual E8400   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 2+1+1+1 gb 1333 mhz ddr3   MOBO: HP Q series   HDD: 4x 1tb 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint Ecogreen   Soundcard: built in   Case: Compaq 6000 pro mt   Screen: Samsung SyncMaster710n

Laptop: Acer TravelMate 8573t

Spoiler

CPU: I3-2330M   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3   MOBO: Acer   SSD: 250 gb mx500 sata   Soundcard: built in   Case: Acer TravelMate 8573t   Screen: TN 768p

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

Windows 9 (8.1 embedded pro. I've run it on several systems, and run it against wireshark...it is very quiet and there is no telemetry that I can find. All the same, run ShutUp10 and Spybot anti-beacon) which gets updates until 2024

or, run linux as has been said

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

I don't trust Windows 10 on older hardware, after it slowed down my old laptop so much, it was unusable.

The only solution was to "downgrade" to Windows 7.

And as somebody, who doesn't have even 2015's latest hardware, I have to stick to Windows 7.

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

I'm still running windows 7 on my laptop because that's the key I had, maybe sometime down the road i'll install linux if necessary. For now it works and in all likelihood that is how it will stay, Windows 10 more than does what I want for my main desktop and hasn't given me any trouble beyond bricking once due to something that I probably did back when the system was running windows 8.1.  

Good Morning,

That Is All 

I genuinely don't want to run windows 10.

This brings to mind that old "windows 7 is dangerous" joke from a few years ago

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/01/17/microsoft-windows-7-security-hardware-support-problems/#5cf8cf18ecdb

The goal was to scaremonger people into changing their os immediately by implying there was an immediate threat. Now 2 years later 40% of people run windows 7 just fine. 

The attempt to boost sales to satisfy shareholders by simply lying to the end customer really wasn't something I was looking forward to. So I'm going to be stuck using linux in the future even though I hate it and it's terrible it's a better alternative to windows 10.

One of those users who successfully upgraded a computer from Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro a month ago for free.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

There are some additional ways to stop Windows 10 telemetry in this post:

And a bunch of additional ways to deal with Windows 10 updates in this post:

14 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

There are some additional ways to stop Windows 10 telemetry in this post:

And a bunch of additional ways to deal with Windows 10 updates in this post:

The trouble is, if you have to jump through all that just to make the goddamn OS work, then it's broken by design and no amount of fiddling will ever fix this.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Windows 10 with Classic Shell, another few tweaks and done: it's basically Win 7 again functionality/Aesthetic wise.

Startisback is another good Windows 10 start menu replacement. It has some nice customization options.

Startisback.jpg.cf49734fbd2abf8eabf2844e419369b8.jpg

3 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

If it was easy to buy LTSC, then I am sure that more would be running Windows 10.

Fortunately, it's actually pretty easy, if a person knows to check eBay:

<Redacted>

Edited by W-L
Ebay/Piracy
6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The trouble is, if you have to jump through all that just to make the goddamn OS work, then it's broken by design and no amount of fiddling will ever fix this.

You don't have to do all of those things. For example, in the post showing ways to disable Windows Update in Windows 10, you only have to do 1 of them. There just are a lot of different ways to do it, and they're all (the ones I'm aware of) listed there.

Some of the ways to stop Windows 10 telemetry are redundant, too, but there are different means to go about it.

But, yeah, Microsoft sucks and Windows 10 is far, very far, from perfect.

well I run win7 because r6 vegas(also can it run on win10) plus my dad dosent want the hassile 

I'm telling everyone now once my computers time to become upgraded (hopefully later this year) I'm going Penguin. W10 is a horrid pos that needs to be thrown in the same graveyard as the ET Game, and not even ET would want to be near it so it would try leaving this planet by phoning home. I'm approaching a 100 day up time right now no updates, but I fear them, I should never fear updates.

15 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

You don't have to do all of those things. For example, in the post showing ways to disable Windows Update in Windows 10, you only have to do 1 of them. There just are a lot of different ways to do it, and they're all (the ones I'm aware of) listed there.

Some of the ways to stop Windows 10 telemetry are redundant, too, but there are different means to go about it.

But, yeah, Microsoft sucks and Windows 10 is far, very far, from perfect.

You shouldn't have to go threw a black hole just to disable updates. Their sleep option is a improvement but it's nothing like windows 7 or even xp.

I honestly don't know how anyone can like 7 more than 10. Its a direct upgrade in even single way. I hate windows 7.

I mostly want to talk about the follow-up video on Linux/Proton that was mentioned in this video. Linux as a gaming platform has matured a lot recently, but you can't solve everything with SteamPlay/Proton. In the follow-up video, I think it would be worth at least mentioning other WINE implementations, most notably CodeWeavers' CrossOver and Lutris. SteamPlay is the most user friendly method by far, but you can't play something like Battlefield that way, since it's not on Steam. I have played Battlefield 1, but I had to install it through Lutris. It will work, but because it isn't on Steam, only via a different piece of software. 

1 hour ago, Addvilz said:

No mention of ElementaryOS? I am disappointed, @RILEYISMYNAME

https://elementary.io

That looks too much like Apple's walled garden.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

3 hours ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

There's less than a year before Windows 7 security updates get cut off... What's an enthusiast to do!?

How to maximize your privacy on Windows 10:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-manage-privacy/

Im probably going to be a 'brave bastard' then :P

To be fair though, if ur a pure gamer, so long as u dont use your PC for anything truly important, viruses are not really that much of a worry especialy if ur not browsing dodgy websites.

If u really must use ur gaming PC to browse 'those sites' , use a removable SSD with a W7 installation on it to hot swap in purely for such browsing sessions.

If/when viruses infect ur system, just format and start over using a backup image, quick and simple.

Honestly, for a purely gaming system, the worry about security is marginal, its unlikely , highly unlikely, ull get infected, and if u do u shouldnt have anything ur worried about loosing on ur system anyway, so just format.

I will consider upgrading to W10 when W7's time comes, but only if theres a stripped down pre modded, trusted version available with all the crap removed, and full control available to the user.

I have no intention of using W10 in its current state, and i really cba to go through the hassle of modding W10 myself using the various programs and scripts currently available, i shouldnt have to do that, and i wont whilst my current W7 installation is perfectly capable.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w | VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma |

GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC w/OC & Barrow Block | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P |

3 hours ago, Geography said:

Move to Linux

I'm on it but the only 2 games I play aren't compatible with Linux

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Isn't random Windows updates kind of a meme now? Like initially it was a big issue but no one is still getting these random updates are they?

I'm running Windows 10 on two machines, occasionally on shutdown or restart it will say configuring updates, only adds another 30-60 seconds to boot time and occurs very rarely. I'd like to know if people are still getting issues with these Windows updates.