What Happens When Windows 7 DIES?

There's less than a year before Windows 7 security updates get cut off... What's an enthusiast to do!?

How to maximize your privacy on Windows 10:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-manage-privacy/
How to delay Windows 10 updates:
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/09/27/how-to-delay-feature-updates-in-windows-10/

Buy Windows 10:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/BIwyn2D
On Newegg: https://geni.us/3mlezw

Just now, RILEYISMYNAME said:

What's an enthusiast to do!?

Move to Linux

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Windows 10 with Classic Shell, another few tweaks and done: it's basically Win 7 again functionality/Aesthetic wise.

People make too much of a big deal about this when the fixing doesn't take more than a day of 'editing' Windows 10.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Windows 9 (8.1 embedded pro. I've run it on several systems, and run it against wireshark...it is very quiet and there is no telemetry that I can find. All the same, run ShutUp10 and Spybot anti-beacon) which gets updates until 2024

or, run linux as has been said

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I don't trust Windows 10 on older hardware, after it slowed down my old laptop so much, it was unusable.

The only solution was to "downgrade" to Windows 7.

And as somebody, who doesn't have even 2015's latest hardware, I have to stick to Windows 7.

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

I'm still running windows 7 on my laptop because that's the key I had, maybe sometime down the road i'll install linux if necessary. For now it works and in all likelihood that is how it will stay, Windows 10 more than does what I want for my main desktop and hasn't given me any trouble beyond bricking once due to something that I probably did back when the system was running windows 8.1.  

Good Morning,

That Is All 

I genuinely don't want to run windows 10.

This brings to mind that old "windows 7 is dangerous" joke from a few years ago

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/01/17/microsoft-windows-7-security-hardware-support-problems/#5cf8cf18ecdb

The goal was to scaremonger people into changing their os immediately by implying there was an immediate threat. Now 2 years later 40% of people run windows 7 just fine. 

The attempt to boost sales to satisfy shareholders by simply lying to the end customer really wasn't something I was looking forward to. So I'm going to be stuck using linux in the future even though I hate it and it's terrible it's a better alternative to windows 10.

One of those users who successfully upgraded a computer from Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro a month ago for free.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

If it was easy to buy LTSC, then I am sure that more would be running Windows 10.

There are some additional ways to stop Windows 10 telemetry in this post:

And a bunch of additional ways to deal with Windows 10 updates in this post:

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

14 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

There are some additional ways to stop Windows 10 telemetry in this post:

And a bunch of additional ways to deal with Windows 10 updates in this post:

The trouble is, if you have to jump through all that just to make the goddamn OS work, then it's broken by design and no amount of fiddling will ever fix this.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Windows 10 with Classic Shell, another few tweaks and done: it's basically Win 7 again functionality/Aesthetic wise.

Startisback is another good Windows 10 start menu replacement. It has some nice customization options.

Startisback.jpg.cf49734fbd2abf8eabf2844e419369b8.jpg

3 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

If it was easy to buy LTSC, then I am sure that more would be running Windows 10.

Fortunately, it's actually pretty easy, if a person knows to check eBay:

<Redacted>

Edited by W-L
Ebay/Piracy

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The trouble is, if you have to jump through all that just to make the goddamn OS work, then it's broken by design and no amount of fiddling will ever fix this.

You don't have to do all of those things. For example, in the post showing ways to disable Windows Update in Windows 10, you only have to do 1 of them. There just are a lot of different ways to do it, and they're all (the ones I'm aware of) listed there.

Some of the ways to stop Windows 10 telemetry are redundant, too, but there are different means to go about it.

But, yeah, Microsoft sucks and Windows 10 is far, very far, from perfect.

well I run win7 because r6 vegas(also can it run on win10) plus my dad dosent want the hassile 

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I'm telling everyone now once my computers time to become upgraded (hopefully later this year) I'm going Penguin. W10 is a horrid pos that needs to be thrown in the same graveyard as the ET Game, and not even ET would want to be near it so it would try leaving this planet by phoning home. I'm approaching a 100 day up time right now no updates, but I fear them, I should never fear updates.

15 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

You don't have to do all of those things. For example, in the post showing ways to disable Windows Update in Windows 10, you only have to do 1 of them. There just are a lot of different ways to do it, and they're all (the ones I'm aware of) listed there.

Some of the ways to stop Windows 10 telemetry are redundant, too, but there are different means to go about it.

But, yeah, Microsoft sucks and Windows 10 is far, very far, from perfect.

You shouldn't have to go threw a black hole just to disable updates. Their sleep option is a improvement but it's nothing like windows 7 or even xp.

I honestly don't know how anyone can like 7 more than 10. Its a direct upgrade in even single way. I hate windows 7.

I also don't know why people love 7.  10 is honestly the better choice for me.  XP was best though.

Won’t visit often..

I mostly want to talk about the follow-up video on Linux/Proton that was mentioned in this video. Linux as a gaming platform has matured a lot recently, but you can't solve everything with SteamPlay/Proton. In the follow-up video, I think it would be worth at least mentioning other WINE implementations, most notably CodeWeavers' CrossOver and Lutris. SteamPlay is the most user friendly method by far, but you can't play something like Battlefield that way, since it's not on Steam. I have played Battlefield 1, but I had to install it through Lutris. It will work, but because it isn't on Steam, only via a different piece of software. 

1 hour ago, Addvilz said:

No mention of ElementaryOS? I am disappointed, @RILEYISMYNAME

https://elementary.io

That looks too much like Apple's walled garden.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

3 hours ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

There's less than a year before Windows 7 security updates get cut off... What's an enthusiast to do!?

How to maximize your privacy on Windows 10:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-manage-privacy/

Im probably going to be a 'brave bastard' then :P

To be fair though, if ur a pure gamer, so long as u dont use your PC for anything truly important, viruses are not really that much of a worry especialy if ur not browsing dodgy websites.

If u really must use ur gaming PC to browse 'those sites' , use a removable SSD with a W7 installation on it to hot swap in purely for such browsing sessions.

If/when viruses infect ur system, just format and start over using a backup image, quick and simple.

Honestly, for a purely gaming system, the worry about security is marginal, its unlikely , highly unlikely, ull get infected, and if u do u shouldnt have anything ur worried about loosing on ur system anyway, so just format.

I will consider upgrading to W10 when W7's time comes, but only if theres a stripped down pre modded, trusted version available with all the crap removed, and full control available to the user.

I have no intention of using W10 in its current state, and i really cba to go through the hassle of modding W10 myself using the various programs and scripts currently available, i shouldnt have to do that, and i wont whilst my current W7 installation is perfectly capable.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 hours ago, Geography said:

Move to Linux

I'm on it but the only 2 games I play aren't compatible with Linux

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Isn't random Windows updates kind of a meme now? Like initially it was a big issue but no one is still getting these random updates are they?

I'm running Windows 10 on two machines, occasionally on shutdown or restart it will say configuring updates, only adds another 30-60 seconds to boot time and occurs very rarely. I'd like to know if people are still getting issues with these Windows updates.