Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lockram

PC Rebooting under load

So I've gone ahead and bought a new PSU, and after installing it, it seems like that the problem has disappeared. So the conclusion is the PSU was the culprit, and I will be returning it as it is only one year old. I've replaced it with a Corsair RM750X. 

Posted · Original PosterOP

So recently I've started having problems with my pc rebooting under load, and I've tried everything I could think of to try and solve the problem.

First my PC specifications, and then below there will be an explanation about what I've tried so far. 

OS  Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4200 Mhz.

BIOS-version/date    American Megatrends Inc. 1009, 23-07-2017
SMBIOS-version    3.0
Motherboard  STRIX Z270E GAMING

GPU   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

PSU    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Plus Gold Certified 

I first experienced the problem while loading a game, at first I thought it might have been a one-time thing, so I just fired up the game again, just to have it crash yet another time. I then tried to replicate the problem, so I started a stress test on my GPU to check if that was the problem. The stress test ran for an hour, and the GPU temp stabilized at 70 degrees. 

I then moved on to the CPU. I started a CPU stress test and let it run for about an hour. It stabilized around 75 degrees. 

At this point, the pc hadn't restarted at the CPU or GPU stress test. I then moved my suspicion on to the RAM, which led me to make a Memtest86. The test concluded that there was nothing wrong with my RAM either. So then I tried booting up the game again, which resulted in the PC just rebooted yet again. When I got the PC up and running, I tried to run the CPU and GPU test simultaneously which resulted in another reboot. So then I thought it might be the PSU that couldn't deliver enough, or that I was simply using more than the 750 watts my power supply could give. So I connected an energy surveillance device, which showed a maximum power consumption of 400 watts briefly before rebooting when I ran the CPU and GPU stress test simultaneously. 

So I'm really at a loss here. What could be the culprit of the reboots, when my PC is at full load? Could it be the PSU can't deliver enough watts even though my system is only using 400W? 

21 minutes ago, Lockram said:

So recently I've started having problems with my pc rebooting under load, and I've tried everything I could think of to try and solve the problem.

First my PC specifications, and then below there will be an explanation about what I've tried so far. 

SMBIOS-version    3.0

I first experienced the problem while loading a game, at first I thought it might have been a one-time thing, so I just fired up the game again, just to have it crash yet another time. I then tried to replicate the problem, so I started a stress test on my GPU to check if that was the problem. The stress test ran for an hour, and the GPU temp stabilized at 70 degrees. 

I then moved on to the CPU. I started a CPU stress test and let it run for about an hour. It stabilized around 75 degrees. 

At this point, the pc hadn't restarted at the CPU or GPU stress test. I then moved my suspicion on to the RAM, which led me to make a Memtest86. The test concluded that there was nothing wrong with my RAM either. So then I tried booting up the game again, which resulted in the PC just rebooted yet again. When I got the PC up and running, I tried to run the CPU and GPU test simultaneously which resulted in another reboot. So then I thought it might be the PSU that couldn't deliver enough, or that I was simply using more than the 750 watts my power supply could give. So I connected an energy surveillance device, which showed a maximum power consumption of 400 watts briefly before rebooting when I ran the CPU and GPU stress test simultaneously. 

So I'm really at a loss here. What could be the culprit of the reboots, when my PC is at full load? Could it be the PSU can't deliver enough watts even though my system is only using 400W? 

Issue could be that the power control module (Gigabyte called it that) on the GPU is failing and trying to pull more than the PSU parameters allow, causing the PSU to shutdown.

That was my issue in almost the exact same circumstances.  

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

On 3/12/2019 at 12:01 AM, Lockram said:

SMBIOS-version    3.0

is the problem like this one?

On 3/13/2019 at 11:40 PM, Wanted-x said:

It might be similar to that problem. Mine just happens the instant I try to pull a lot of power from my pc. Give me 30 minutes, and I will upload a video with an explanation. 

So I've attached a Youtube video since the file is 30MB and the max allowed size on the forum is 20MB.

What you see in the video is a stress test running on the GPU, the temp stabilized at 70 degrees as usual. Then I hit the CPU burner, which instantly causes the PC to restart, which is why I suspect a PSU problem, even though it doesn't draw more than 400Watts. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dlrg-F5SEIY

Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer

So I've gone ahead and bought a new PSU, and after installing it, it seems like that the problem has disappeared. So the conclusion is the PSU was the culprit, and I will be returning it as it is only one year old. I've replaced it with a Corsair RM750X. 

On 3/16/2019 at 5:35 PM, Lockram said:

I was also thinking it was PSU fault. Thanks for letting me know